Soo Frustrated...PLS HELP

Options
Hi Everyone I need your help. I am just kind of been stuck trying to lose weight the past 8 months, I am actually 13lbs heavier compared to this time last year. I am not sure what is going on. I am not exercising as much as I was last year due to knee joint pains that I am currently getting therapy for. I now do 4-5 times a week, never more than an hour. I do cardio 30mins and weights 30mins 3 times a week and just 1 hour cardio 2 times a week.
I am not sure if I am eating too little or too much. I just kind of stopped tracking since I was frustrated. If you guys could assist me that would be helpful, my stats are below. Should I eat above my BMR and eat my exercise calories back, how about if I eat 1500cals a day and eat my exercise cals back, is this dangerous. Thanks

Height: 5'7.5
Weight: 213lbs
Target Weight: 150lbs
I work a 9-5 office job.

Replies

• LoseitForever83
    Options
    anyone?
  • lrreeder
    lrreeder Posts: 7
    Options
    Without knowing what you are eating and how much of it it is hard to tell you what could be the answer. What kind of cardio are you doing? Are you getting your heart rate up? Are you tired at the end of your workouts? Are you strength training with heavy weights?

1500 calories seems reasonable, but again, without knowing what you've been eating and in what quantity its going to be difficult to provide guidance.
  • JaeDeeCaterpillar
    JaeDeeCaterpillar Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I think the most important thing is to start diligently tracking. If you honestly don't know how much you're eating, that's the problem. Be honest with yourself and track everything that goes in your mouth. The results might surprise you.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Without knowing what you are eating and how much of it it is hard to tell you what could be the answer. What kind of cardio are you doing? Are you getting your heart rate up? Are you tired at the end of your workouts? Are you strength training with heavy weights?

1500 calories seems reasonable, but again, without knowing what you've been eating and in what quantity its going to be difficult to provide guidance.

This!

I will say that I had to up my calories a few times over the past year to break through plateaus. Also, it's not as simple as calories in vs calories out. You have to feed your body properly. Low cal isn't always where it's at.
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    How about you get back to tracking your real calories that you are eating. Use the tools that this site offers you, close to your BMR and you should be able to adjust your calories as needed to lose the weight that you want. I prefer to eat back my calories but everyone is different. See what works for you.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is really hard, and there is so much conflicting information out there!

It sounds like you have a nice exercise routine going, so I'm going to say stick with that for now. When you can, start adding interval training to your cardio on some days you lift, so you can do more lifting and less cardio.

As for eating, this is the tricky bit. If you find tracking it here too hard, try a paper journal. Just a simple notebook would do. Just write down everything that passes through your lips. Don't worry too much about actual calorie counts at first. Just get used to doing it. Then start adding in how many calories you eat each time. MEASURE everything. A simple kitchen scales, measuring cups and spoons for everything. Now you have calories and exact amounts. Once you get used to that, try working on logging here. It can be very frustrating to use this site to log your foods, since most of the database is member generated, nothing is exactly right.
    Try just aiming to net your BMR each day in calories. If that's too confusing, just try different numbers around what MFP suggested when you set up your account. You have to experiment to find what works for you!
  • unpunishable
    unpunishable Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you eat even more than on how much you eat. Do you mind opening your diary so that people could see it? You should also see a doctor because that might be something with your hormones. Too little info to help!
  • kym0620
    kym0620 Posts: 2
    Options
    I was in a similar boat recently when i was frustrated b/c i wasn't losing weight (sometimes even gaining a few lbs) even though i was working out 6 times a week. Someone suggested that perhaps I wasn't eating enough so I took a serious look at my nutrition and realized that i WAS undereating. I thought eating less would make me lose weight but because of the amount of exercise I was doing, my body needed more fuel so that it wouldn't store the fat. I doubled my food intake and in one week, i lost 3 lbs. I agree with previous poster though that it's hard to give advice without knowing exactly what your work out is and exactly what you're eating. I doubled my intake but it was a balance of the right amount of carbs/fat/protein and mostly "clean" food. Nutrition makes a huge difference so take a serious look at what you are eating and all the best!!! you can do it! :)
  • Bomber989
    Bomber989 Posts: 24
    Options
    Certainly no expert here but if you honestly track the foods you are eating and then maybe eat back about 75% of the calories you burn during exercise, you should do well. I've been exercising and find that if I eat back all the calories, I feel full and uncomfortable. I don't think you'll get in trouble eating slightly less back, like the 75% suggested. Don't give up, you just have to try a few different approaches to find what works for you. Best of luck and keep posting.
  • jvickery183
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid tested? There could be a medical reason you're gaining weight. Also, are you eating a lot of carbs? Some people are much more sensitive to carbs than others (me!). I'm supposed to eat 1400 calories a day to lose 1 lb. a week. I have found that even when I stick to this calorie intake I don't lose weight if a lot of my calories are coming from breads, pastas, etc. Alochol could be another reason - how often do you drink? I'm a huge fan of craft beer and my favorites are the super dark high alcohol (read: sugar) beers which are awful for my diet.

As hard as it is (I love carbs and beer!) I try to limit my carb and alcohol intake to Saturdays only. It helps to have one day a week you can splurge so you don't feel totally deprived.

I completely understand your frustrations and encourage you to start looking more specifically at where your calories are coming from instead of just total calorie intake. Also, talk to your doctor - there are often medical reasons women can't lose weight (e.g. thyroid) and can be easily adjusted with hormone therapy etc.

Don't get frustrated, just keep tweaking your system and eventually something will start to work for you!
  • imsteviesmom
    Options
    I wish I knew more to suggest to you. One of the things I learned by tracking my food is that I have a diet that is heavy on carbs and sugars. It's making me take a good look at what I'm eating. The thing is, I don't eat much candy anymore, but I do love my sweet tea and even with just one, the sugar adds up and adds pounds. The other thing I would suggest is looking at any medications you might be taking. (Rx and OTC) I know I have a bad knee and tend to take ibuprofen which can cause me to have tummy issues (burning sensation) and then I tend to eat things to try to make that stop. Some medications list weight gain as a side effect. Finally, have you had blood work done to rule out any issues such as an under active thyroid?

I wish you the best!
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    At the risk of being flamed, but this is my non-sugar-coated opinion: I'd suggest based on your post you are not yet ready for what it takes for long term lifestyle change (which will be accompanied by excess body weight reduction). Don't despair, took me 10 years of being a gym rat to get there mentally.

Nothing anyone types here will make you lose weight. You will have to want to do that, and to put in the hard work. And even then, it will only work when you realize you have to change your life. Tracking your food intake diligently will start you on that path, which is where MFP is a lot of help to a lot of us.

Now for concrete advice: Log EVERYTHING that goes in your mouth on MFP for at least 30 days, add some active friends in the meanwhile, and then ask for advice how you can start making changes to your food intake based on your diary.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    You should be losing. I would go to the dr and have blood work done, if you have not already. You could have a thyroid issue.

Start logging your food again and stop weighing yourself, that is a much better plan, I promise, because it is the weighing yourself that is frustrating. We have no way of helping you if we do not know what you are eating. I do not care what anyone says, it does matter WHAT you eat, not how many calories you eat.
  • CoolRunnings72
    CoolRunnings72 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You and are pretty much exactly the same stats as me, I am female, 21 years old, and at my heaviest, I was 211 (currently between 205-200) and I am about 5 foot 7. I also work a desk job.

I think you definitely need to start tracking what you are eating, and if you are looking to lost about 1-2 pounds a week then 1500 calories should be a good range, but you also need to take into account your cardio and weight training (so say you ate 1800 calories worth and burned off 300 calories, this would be fine, however do not go under 1200 calories). Also, make sure you are drinking plenty of water, two liters a day is a good amount.

Finally, please do not let the scale dictate how you feel, the number means very little. You should instead go buy a tape measure, and take measurements once a week and keep track of your measurements (you can also weight yourself once a week). The tape measure will give you a more accurate reading, as it is very possible that you are losing fat but also building muscle.

I hope that helps!
  • bellygoaway
    bellygoaway Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    First thing, start logging what you eat. That is what helped me realize how much I was eating. Put your weight in to MFP, and how much weight you want to loose (I suggest only 1 pound a week). Every time you weigh in at a different level adjust your goals (Just go to your page and hit the button, it does it for you). We all go through periods of advance and decline.
  • ExxEgueritaExxE
    Options
    I agree with the other posts. It's EXTREMELY important to track what you are eating. As far as your workout regime, it sounds like you are getting your workouts in but how active are you? Do you walk? Do you keep moving on your days off from work? These things make a difference too. I too work in a call center and sit at a desk all day however I walk every day for 1.5 mi during lunch. I also park on the outer skirts of the parking lot to get more steps in my day. Most days of the week I get my 10k steps in. I also walk on weekends and do Zumba for fun. The best advice I can give is make activity a part of your daily life and keep tracking. It's about feeling good and being healthy...The weight loss will come! Keep on it : )
  • LoseitForever83
    Options
    Hi,
    Thanks for the replies. I haven't started tracking anything on Myfitnesspal yet, which I will be soon, I just don't know what calorie to set it at.. But I do know the foods to eat and the ones to avoid. I don't really eat junk or processed foods. I do get in a lot of fruits, veggies, greek yogurt, lean protein, whole wheat breads etc. I cut back on caffeine, just one cup a day and I drink 2 cups green tea a day.
    My weight just goes up and down and never stays constant.

Yes I am doing blood work tomorrow to see if I have thryroid issues as I brought up this concern to my doctor.
  • sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest thing is getting the journaling going again. Like Irreeder said, without knowing what you're doing now, how can you know what to change to get to where you want to be? Besides, the act of journaling itself really helps to keep us honest. It's that little extra bit of motivation in knowing that the cheetos or M&M's or whatever else are going to have to be logged, right there on the paper or the screen to be seen in the harsh light of day by your better self.

Another thing to do is find out your resting metabolic rate so you can make an informed choice about whether to cut calories or add them. You can have it measured for about $70 (in my area, at least) and know the exact number, or you can just use a calculator on the internet. Those tend to underestimate your RMR, which in this case is a good thing as you'll be erring on the side of caution.

Once you know your RMR and get an idea of the calories you want to be taking in, you can try to focus on the food instead of the hard and fast calorie number. I find that if I make choices based on the nutrients I need while trying to stay under my calorie limit, deciding on what to eat really takes care of itself. As a guy trying to gain a good bit of muscle while I'm at it, I know that protein is really important to me. So I started looking for foods that packed in the most protein per calorie. And then the most fiber per calorie, and so on and so forth. Just going by the numbers has led me to a lot of really clean and nutrient rich foods that also tend to be a lot more natural.

I got fed up with the way I was looking and feeling a few weeks ago, and I've been fighting hard to change it. I've been trying to keep a journal of what has and hasn't worked and what's gotten in the way. You can read it at davidgetsfit.blogspot.com.

I hope this has been some sort of help. Get back to us and maybe we can help you figure out what your roadblock is. The biggest thing is just to keep at it. There's a way to move forward that just hasn't been found yet.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I think the most important thing is to start diligently tracking. If you honestly don't know how much you're eating, that's the problem. Be honest with yourself and track everything that goes in your mouth. The results might surprise you.

^THIS^

FIRST:
    You should really be as honest with yourself about your intake as you possibly can. I log calories, even on days I go over by a thousand or more. It is how I maintain accountability and perspective. (NOTE: This does NOT however give me license to beat myself up or give up just because I had a bad day.)
    SECOND:
    You should aim for a total deficit of between 500 but no more than 1000 calories per day on average. (This means eating back some or all of your workout calories depending on what your initial goal is and what your pre-exercise daily burn may be. MFP says my calories burned through daily activity (pre-exercise) is around 1820 calories per day, so I try for 1320 calories a day but allow myself up to 1500 (because that is still a deficit and I am not trying to break any weight loss records here, just trying to adjust to a healthier lifestyle I can manage for the rest of my life)
    THIRD:
    1200 calorie net minimum: Why? Because the American Society of Sports Medicine has stated that this is the number of calories recommended for a female to ingest in order to derive all the nutrients necessary (through a variety of foods) to provide for proper organ and bodily functions.
    FINALLY:
    Set a goal other than the number on a scale: Do you want to be able to run a 5k? Do you want to be able to swim 2000 yards in under an hour? Working toward a goal and monitoring your progress toward that is far more motivating than the number on the scale. Besides, that scale doesn't know jack-**** about your body's composition, all it knows is the effect of gravity. It doesn't know whether that mass is muscle, fat or water weight so don't rely on it for your sense of accomplishment or self-worth.

OK 'nuff said except :

GOOD LUCK! And if you ever need anything, as you can see, all you have to do is ask and people will be willing to offer advice. Or type your eyes off (like me) ... LOL
  • sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Wow, there were like a dozen posts in the few minutes it took to write mine. That's awesome. I just joined and I'm glad to see the community is so active.