Sciatic Nerve Pain?

I had a car accident 10 years ago, and ever since then I've had sciatic nerve pain. It's not constant, but when it hurts, brother does it hurt! I find as I work out that my sciatic nerve has been bothering me. Not working out is NOT an option. Does anyone have any advice to combat the pain?

Replies

• 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    I was in a car accident 4 years ago and have 3 herniated cervical discs. I know what you mean. When it flares up it sucks! Gentle stretching or yoga might help. And ice not heat. Hope you get to feeling better!
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    I had a back injury for years that would intermittently be so painful I could not walk upright. Chiropractors and doctors did little or nothing. I finally ran into a neuro-muscular massage therapist at a Half-Price bookstore that was there to find new clients. She was offering massage for a dollar a minute. I got a ten-minute chair massage and felt much better.

I visited her at her studio a couple more times for 90 minute sessions and she practically solved it in a couple visits.

Its never been that bad again.

Mind you, what she does is not entirely a "feel good" massage and may even lead to a bit of pain while she does her thing, but the results have been amazing.
  • mskathrin
    mskathrin Posts: 5 Member
    Try stretching your hip flexor muscles. When they get tight, they put more pressure on your sciatic nerve.
  • RahRahRiotSC
    RahRahRiotSC Posts: 29 Member
    Thanks for posting this...

I had a bulging disc that crushed my sciatic nerve for 2 months. I finally had surgery and while the pain was greatly reduced I do have some what I'm assuming at this point to be permanent nerve damage. Sometimes when I am exercising for long periods the pain gets worse. I would love to hear what others have to say that may help.