How to stop boredom eating at work

Options
Hello everyone!

I like my job but sometimes I do get really bored and I know that when I pop to the shops sometimes or eat a biscuit from the biscuit tin, I don't really NEED to but it's just mindless eating and I somehow manage to convince myself that I am STARVING (never been starving in my life..!)

Any tips to stop this happening?

Replies

• meemo88
    meemo88 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    i GO THROUGH THE Same thing. yesterday i was doing fine, all of a sudden i went to the vending machine and got donuts and chips......ugh :sad:
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. When all I do is sit at a desk all I want to do is stuff my face.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Don't work a boring job. Problem solved.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    Take on new projects, ask your boss if there's anything else you can do.. You shouldn't be bored at work, honestly. The only time I think about food at work is on my lunch break.. I spend the rest of my day, you know, working.
  • Cathyvil
    Cathyvil Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Bring healthy snacks with you to work. I only eat what I bring. If i have something right next to me there's not much temptation to go get something else.
  • xXmimiXx
    xXmimiXx Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Lol thanks guys. I love the "you shouldn't be bored at work" I agree but it's easier said than done getting your perfect job! I like my job, as I said and I am normally busy but I still think about snacks etc more than I should.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Don't have food anywhere near your desk. If you keep snacks near you, you'll eat them when you're bored. When tempted to grab a snack, try some water instead! You'd be amazed at boredom drinking of water instead of eating. It works really well for me! Some days I go through so much water, I run out! LOL!
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I am bored at my job all day, even when I am busy doing something. :happy: I have no advice, just wanted you to know you aren't the only one who is bored at work. :noway:
  • garnetgazm
    Options
    chew sugarfree gum :)
  • picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    chew gum
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Drink water when you feel yourself reaching for something.
    Don't store ANY snacks you don't want to eat near your desk.
    Go for walks instead.
    Make a point of focusing on eating when you eat, not only snacks, but also meals. It will increase your awareness and enjoyment.
  • katemateg
    katemateg Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Leave your money at home. Good luck. I too eat out of boredom, excitement, anything really, just rarely hunger!
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I have to walk past six people in my department that know I'm on a diet before I reach the vending machine. I'd never make it.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Either chew gum or drink water when this happens. I find they both work well :smile:
  • KristyJoy123
    KristyJoy123 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I get bored at work too! I can't imagine there is anyone in this world who doesn't once in a while -- every job has a down time (I guess unless you're an air traffic controller). I do the same thing though. The only thing I suggest is bringing healthy snacks. I bring tons of raw fruit and veggies as a snack (plan ahead!) and air-popped popcorn. They are good snacks that will help with the mindless munchies and they also fill you up without a ton of calories.
  • verbalriot
    Options
    Tell the coworkers that sit on your way to the vending machine to stop you if you're heading that way. Knowing that they know what you're about to do might make you rethink that decision! =)

If you're bored, instead of eating, look up something inspirational - a picture of a fit celebrity you admire or a motivational quote...remind yourself why you should avoid those snacks!
  • tgmshierry
    tgmshierry Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I keep high volume low calorie snack at my desk . Mornings it is cucumber and in the after noon it is carrots. when i get bored of that I have a handfull of nuts.
  • LeoQuin
    LeoQuin Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Sweet Potato Crackers / Chips

A big bag of them has under 800 calories and will keep you full all day
    Myfitnesspal has me at 1300 calories daily, if you're close to here; skip lunch and munch on these for the 8 hours. Once you get off work you have 500 calories for dinner, go run some laps or something and get it up to 600 and indulge on a Black forest ham 12 inch from subway for under 600 and you're golden.
  • LeoQuin
    LeoQuin Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    PS. Pointless snacking is one of the main reasons for everyone weight gain. BUT IT TASTE SO DAMN GOOD WHEN YOU KNOW YOU SHOULDN'T
  • jenguhl
    jenguhl Posts: 79
    Options
    I work at a bank and also have those slow moments where I think I HAVE to have a snack. I either chew gum or make a hot cup of green tea.