Am I the only one that doesn't enjoy the healthy lifestyle?

Options
I've only been on MFP for 2 weeks, but I've been gaining and losing weight pretty much my whole adult life. I'm usually on a 2-4 year cycle. I eat right and exercise and lose the 20-50 pounds to get where I feel good about my body (depending on how much I gained that time). But I'm hungry much of the time, I don't enjoy working out, and inevitably the weight comes back. I was whining to my boyfriend about it, and he breaks out the 'need to look at this as a lifestyle change, not a diet.' Ya know what? This is not a lifestyle I enjoy. I hate limiting my food. I hate not being able to eat what I want. I don't enjoy working out. This is why I can do it for a while, but can never maintain it over the long term. Boyfriend's mom and brother are both personal trainers, and they seem to have this idea that people like me just haven't seen the light. Once I start working hard, lose the weight and get in shape it will be oh so worth it and I'll love it the way they do. They haven't known me long enough to see me do it. And do it again. And again. I've done it so many times already. I feel like I'll be doing it for the rest of my life. I know I can lose this weight and get where I want to be. Again. But I'm starting to wonder if there is any point in it. I know I'm going to end up back here in a year or two or three. The whole thing is just so discouraging.

By the way, I've tried different types of exercise. Cardio and/or weights at the gym, walking, running, mountain biking, roller blading, kayaking, yoga, etc. I've run triathalons to try to keep myself motivated. Turns out I'm not the least bit competitive. I'm currently doing stairs on my breaks at work because then at least it doesn't feel like it's taking up all my free time. But the bottom line is no matter what I do it feels like a chore.

Am I the only one? Anybody used to be like this but found a way out?

Replies

• SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Odd, I don't remember writing this! :tongue: Seriously? I feel the EXACT same way. I hate working out and I HAAAAAAAATE eating healthy. With a passion. Hate it. The only reason I am doing it is because I love my kids. I want to live as long as possible for them. If I didn't have kids I am pretty sure I would have stayed 224lbs, well no, I would have kept getting bigger than that. You aren't alone!
  • antoniosmooth
    antoniosmooth Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    What you are feeling is perfectly natural. I remember reading a quote from Jennifer Lawrence (Hunger Games) in which she said "I'd like to punch the people in the face who say they LIKE working out".

Maybe what will help you is finding a physical activity that you do love. Are you an outside person Christy? Do you love the outdoors? Remember what it was like when you were a kid playing outside? What did you like to do?

In terms of nutrition did you ever work in a cheat day? On that cheat day you can eat whatever you want, obviously in moderation, for example I LOVE CHEESEBURGERS, on my cheat day I'll have one. Not some silly Mc Donalds cheeseburger, I'm talking about an awesomely big boy cheeseburger. Sometimes I'll eat whatever I want and not worry about it, for example during Easter weekend I ate candy, french toast casserole, sausage, and pizza. Do I feel guilty? Not one little bit.

A healthy lifestyle is not about limiting yourself Christy, its about making peace with the foods you love and having them responsibly. Since I LOVE CHEESEBURGERS if I desire to have one BEFORE my cheat day I'll make a Jennie-O Turkey Breast 99% lean burger so I can have my.... FIX.
  • jessie1480
    jessie1480 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    If it was fun we wouldn't have this damn websight. Lol. At least I think. The great thing about calorie counting is you can plan for a big splurge. Eat all protons LAN low cal in the morning so that you can have the big *kitten* pics of cake at night. Or something like that, it is a lifestyle change, but you can make it work! You're totally not alone! Hang in there.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Nope, not alone :)

The only activity that I've ever not felt was a chore was swimming. There's something about being the in the water, even if you're racing that's almost like a meditation. Getting to the pool to swim, is unfortunately a bit of a chore. Lately I've taken to doing stairs on my breaks and lifting some weights at home while watching tv.

As far as food goes, my body craves deep-dish pizza most of the time.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I look at my lifestyle, and what I would do if I wasn't worried about getting in shape, and try to incorporate that into my workouts.

I love music and tv, so I listen to music while I'm lifting and watch movies on my tablet while I'm doing cardio.

I really enjoy sparring with people, so I do a lot of karate as well.

If you weren't working out what would you be doing? Can you make that into an active pastime or merge it with an active one?

For food, I find that planning out my meals I actually get more enjoyment out of the foods I love. I love (and I mean love as in I send my fiancee an email when I'm having one saying that I'm leaving her for it) crumb cupcakes. There's a shop right by work, I could feasibly eat 4 per day. If I do that though, they aren't near as good as the one (ok maybe two) cupcake I'll have next week when I haven't had one in a month. I've learned to use the anticipation and find it helps me a lot.
  • HeartlessHarlot
    HeartlessHarlot Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. However, I realized that I hated my gut overhang more that the healthy lifestyle. It made sticking to it a lot easier. That being said, I'm stilll *really* struggling to get fit. But, I'll get there.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Nope, not alone :)

The only activity that I've ever not felt was a chore was swimming. There's something about being the in the water, even if you're racing that's almost like a meditation. Getting to the pool to swim, is unfortunately a bit of a chore. Lately I've taken to doing stairs on my breaks and lifting some weights at home while watching tv.

As far as food goes, my body craves deep-dish pizza most of the time.
    I'm with Mike, if it weren't for swimming I'd probably have given up a long time ago. I like riding my bike, but not enough to go out in all weathers and the same goes for walking. I don't have the patience to do a workout in the gym, so I know I'm missing out on key core-strength workouts, but life's too short!

And for me... I can't, nor won't give up chocolate and biscuits so to feed that addiction, I need to swim for 80-90mins 4-5 times a week, It's a trade off I can just about live with to have a body that doesn't look like the Pilsbury Doughboy's :happy:
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Nope, it's a chore for me too. I do like healthy food, but I like unhealthy food just as much so...yeah, I just like food in general! As for working out, the only thing I really ENJOY and look forward to is swimming, something I can't even do right now. Some workouts I like once I get started but motivating myself to do is a task in itself.

BUT...it's either this or be unhappy with my body and unhealthy. The way my clothes fit and seeing results makes it all worth it in my mind.
  • Twinsmommy2006
    Twinsmommy2006 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree. I hate exercise, I hate having to limit what I eat..I hatebeing fat though too. I have always wanted to be one of those.people that eats anything and stays thin. My question is how do I stay motivated? I like you have lost and gained over the same 50 pounds over and over. Currently I am in the gain phase.
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those weirdos that likes to exercise. (I hope Jennifer Lawrence doesn't punch me.) I love how mellow I feel afterwards. I mean, I don't necessarily love strength-training and lifting, but I enjoy cardio. I look forward to my outdoor runs, because the lake I run around is gorgeous.

Exercise keeps me sane. I may not always want to do it, but knowing how great I'll feel afterwards is what motivates me.

Now before I get flamed, I HATE eating healthy. Hate Hate Hate HATE! I don't like vegetables, and calling them "veggies" doesn't make them taste any better.

I like fatty, salty (especially salty), sugary foods. But I try to eat everything in moderation. I eat okay, not super healthy but not super unhealthy, either. I can live with that.
  • AngieJoy81
    AngieJoy81 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My motto, "fake it 'till you make it."
    I know what you mean. I try to think of healthy food and exercise as the price I pay for cute jeans and pizza on Fridays. I do feel like the longer I do it, the more I start to enjoy a healthy lifestyle.
    One post mentioned a cheat day. I definitely think that works well for me. I give myself a day or two a month where I can eat whatever. I don't count calories, I don't measure portions and I add cheese to everything. no one wants to feel deprived, but when I'm out of shape and overweight I feel deprived also. I don't like shopping for clothes, I don't want to join a hike and I spend a lot of time feeling insecure and missing out on life.
    So if you don't like exercise, do it anyway. Do it because you like yourself and it's good for you. It will be over in a few minutes and you can go on with your day. Maybe you'll eventually like how it feels.
  • WhitneyW78
    WhitneyW78 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    What you are feeling is perfectly natural. I remember reading a quote from Jennifer Lawrence (Hunger Games) in which she said "I'd like to punch the people in the face who say they LIKE working out".

Maybe what will help you is finding a physical activity that you do love. Are you an outside person Christy? Do you love the outdoors? Remember what it was like when you were a kid playing outside? What did you like to do?

In terms of nutrition did you ever work in a cheat day? On that cheat day you can eat whatever you want, obviously in moderation, for example I LOVE CHEESEBURGERS, on my cheat day I'll have one. Not some silly Mc Donalds cheeseburger, I'm talking about an awesomely big boy cheeseburger. Sometimes I'll eat whatever I want and not worry about it, for example during Easter weekend I ate candy, french toast casserole, sausage, and pizza. Do I feel guilty? Not one little bit.

A healthy lifestyle is not about limiting yourself Christy, its about making peace with the foods you love and having them responsibly. Since I LOVE CHEESEBURGERS if I desire to have one BEFORE my cheat day I'll make a Jennie-O Turkey Breast 99% lean burger so I can have my.... FIX.

I LOVE this... and it's exactly the way I look at this lifestyle change re: eating.

If you hate gyms... don't do gyms!! I've had gym memberships, but never kept them up because I just hate the atmosphere. I'd much rather be outside biking or walk/running.
  • Timarling
    Timarling Posts: 80
    Options
    I cheat when I feel like I have to, but stay on track whenever I don't feel that a particular cheat would make me happier than just eating healthy. As for exercise, that 'fake it till you make it' is entirely true. I hated working out, and I still hate anything involving leg days as I'm gasping for air 5 minutes in and don't stop until it's over. Then again, after it's over I know that for the next 6 days I don't have to worry about leg exercises and my overall fitness is improved. I LOVE the fact that I can outperform my unhealthy self, as well as the fact that my BMR has likely risen enough to the point that a couple of cheats are going to be burnt away when they otherwise would have just planted themselves onto my gut.

I read somewhere that the number of heartbeats over a 30 year period in a fit person is the same as 18 years in an unfit person. That's a lot of life years and is very important. I'm very sad that I'll never be able to meet my fiance's father, who passed away when she was still in college from a heart attack. Live not just for yourself but for your love ones and those they cherish as well.
  • barbidroll
    barbidroll Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've managed to stick with MFP for a month. The first 3 weeks I was incredibly motivated. This past week has been harder. The ONLY thing that has kept me eating right, and walking 2-4 miles most days is a buddy. A neighbor of mine was just diagnosed with diabetes, and I see how hard she struggles to keep her blood sugar in balance. We walk and we talk, we discuss foods, our children, spouses, houses, friends, nutrition, how this or that neighbor has let their yard go to crap... whatever it takes to keep us going. We aren't breaking any land-speed records, but we've gone from 1.5 miles in an hour, to 2.5 miles in 50 minutes. The time goes buy much more quickly with someone to distract us. To be honest... without her, I probably wouldn't be this diligent. The result so far is 11 pounds in the month, but the amazing part is the 3 inches off my hips! A side benefit of this, is I think my slightly overweight dog has lost a pound or two. He's a small dog, but if I decide to do the second 2 mile trip in a day, he's all in! If you can't find a walking buddy, phone a friend. I see people talking on their cells all the time while walking... get an audio book on your phone or ipod. Distraction is the only key for me... I have to forget that I'm exercising and forget that I hate it! I have also figured out that eating out (which I LOVE), is hard. As a result, I call a friend to come over for lunch or dinner and make a wonderful nutritious meal. I could not do this alone... if you happen to live in the
    Tampa, Florida... all the better... I'll walk with you!
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    You have to find something you like. For me, it was Zumba or any sort of aerobics. I feel like Im not doing a whole lot, the time goes by so fast. I bought the Zumba set off Amazon so I could do it at home (Im not a big do it in front of people person) so I can do it at my own pace. I agree with Whitney, the gyms aren't for everyone. My mom and I split a gym membership and couldn't wait til our 2 years was up because we hardly went and it was right down the road lol.

As far as food I have one day a week where I don't bother trying. We usually go to a chinese buffet that day or something similar. I don't pay a bit of attention and I eat what I want there. I feel absolutely no guilt and I feel better about this if I can have things I love. I try to fit one Junky thing into my calories each day, even if I have to do more in my workout to fit it in. It helps me stay on track.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I hated feeling like death, hooked on 3 different IVs, peeing in a bag and hoping it was not the last time I was saying to my kids that I love them, more then eating right and moving my butt more. It is all about perspective x
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I've only been on MFP for 2 weeks, but I've been gaining and losing weight pretty much my whole adult life. I'm usually on a 2-4 year cycle. I eat right and exercise and lose the 20-50 pounds to get where I feel good about my body (depending on how much I gained that time). But I'm hungry much of the time, I don't enjoy working out, and inevitably the weight comes back. I was whining to my boyfriend about it, and he breaks out the 'need to look at this as a lifestyle change, not a diet.' Ya know what? This is not a lifestyle I enjoy. I hate limiting my food. I hate not being able to eat what I want. I don't enjoy working out. This is why I can do it for a while, but can never maintain it over the long term. Boyfriend's mom and brother are both personal trainers, and they seem to have this idea that people like me just haven't seen the light. Once I start working hard, lose the weight and get in shape it will be oh so worth it and I'll love it the way they do. They haven't known me long enough to see me do it. And do it again. And again. I've done it so many times already. I feel like I'll be doing it for the rest of my life. I know I can lose this weight and get where I want to be. Again. But I'm starting to wonder if there is any point in it. I know I'm going to end up back here in a year or two or three. The whole thing is just so discouraging.

By the way, I've tried different types of exercise. Cardio and/or weights at the gym, walking, running, mountain biking, roller blading, kayaking, yoga, etc. I've run triathalons to try to keep myself motivated. Turns out I'm not the least bit competitive. I'm currently doing stairs on my breaks at work because then at least it doesn't feel like it's taking up all my free time. But the bottom line is no matter what I do it feels like a chore.

Am I the only one? Anybody used to be like this but found a way out?
    Food I get. I can eat to my heart's content if left to it. I also don't cut ANYTHING out when it comes to eating. If there's skin on that chicken, I don't peel it off. So I see where you're coming from.
    On exercise, it just doesn't seem like you've found what you like yet. Have you tried boxing? A lot of clients that I have that hate cardio (treadmill, step classes, running, aerobics) try boxing and can't get enough because the get to really HIT SOMETHING. And sometimes you need that!!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I don't love exercising. Although I've tried many things, it requires planning and time, it's boring, and if I do it right, it's hard. (I'm not consistent.)

I like healthy food, but there are plenty of unhealthy foods that I find extremely tasty. Given their calorie, fat, or sodium level, I can eat them rarely, if at all.

But when I consider the alternative ...
  • ScarletShopaholic
    ScarletShopaholic Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I do it by eating food I like, it might not be the healhiest, or the most varied, but I like it. I also eat when I'm hungry, after water to make sure I am hungry. I more often eat fruit to beat sweet cravings but this last 4 or 5 days I've been hitting the chocolate and exercising hard. I do 30 day shred - lol I'll be doing level 1 for a good while yet. And Wii Zumba and Wii Just Dance 3 - I love the dancing. I have a bit of an obsessive personality so I've now found I don't like not doing some sort of exercise on a daily basis, who knew that would happen to me, I didn't. But I do not ever plan on stepping inside a gym or running in public.

People say it's not just about calories but about good calories, well I'm not spending my life eating rice, steamed veg, boiled chicken and nothing processed. On the whole I eat better than I did, but not perfect and I don't care, I'm mostly losing weight and getting fitter and that's what I want :happy:
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options

I don't like vegetables, and calling them "veggies" doesn't make them taste any better.

This statement made me LOL!! So truuuee!!!!!