Calories Allowed per day?

Options
I just created MFP profile and based on my settings it set the Net calories per day at 1440. Is this something that I should leave or do I adjust it to what I need? Also does that seem low to anyone? I feel like I may be starving myself.

The problem is, I am not sure what I need as far as calories allowed per day.
A little about me. I am a 44 male, weigh about 235 and I am 5 feet 11 inches.
I would like to lose anywhere between 40 - 50 pounds. I set it up where I would like to lose 2 lbs a week.
i also exercise about twice a week. I play racquetball for about 90 minutes once a week and I also play roller hockey for about 120 min once a week.

Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I just created MFP profile and based on my settings it set the Net calories per day at 1440. Is this something that I should leave or do I adjust it to what I need? Also does that seem low to anyone? I feel like I may be starving myself.

The problem is, I am not sure what I need as far as calories allowed per day.
    A little about me. I am a 44 male, weigh about 235 and I am 5 feet 11 inches.
    I would like to lose anywhere between 40 - 50 pounds. I set it up where I would like to lose 2 lbs a week.
    i also exercise about twice a week. I play racquetball for about 90 minutes once a week and I also play roller hockey for about 120 min once a week.

Any help would be appreciated.

1440 is lower than the minimum reccomended by the UK and USA governments for males.

You could work out your BMR and TDEE. and reset MFP with a moderate defict from TDEE rather then use the MFP method of using a nin-exercise TDEE and eating back your calories.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/512956-tdee-what-is-it-and-why-you-should-not-eat-below-your-bmr?

Also have a look here - http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • nickyrobinson
    nickyrobinson Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    The classic reason people end up with calories set low is that they set their weight loss goal at 2 lb/week and their activity level as sedentary. 2 lb/week implies a daily calorie deficit of 1000 calories, which is a lot to be down.

If this describes what you did, suggestion would be to:
    - Set your goal as 1 lb/week
    - Get exercise and eat back at least half your exercise calories (more if you have an HRM that gives reasonable burned calories)

Alternatively, if you are exercising a lot, you can up your activity level. That has the advantage of being easy, but if you get busy at work, or sick, or go on a lazy vacation, and keep eating the same amounts, you can find yourself eating too much.