Exercise and Weight Loss: 5 Truths

Options
mrsyac2
mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
This is a great article check it out. I copied and pasted the 5 truths you will have to read the article to see what was said though

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/exercise-and-weight-loss-five-truths

1. Exercise is only part of the weight loss story.
2. Exercise is a must for weight maintenance.
3. Food splurges may undo your efforts.

Exercise may not buy you as much calorie wiggle room as you think.

"The average person overestimates the amount of activity they're doing by about 30% and underestimates their food intake by about 30%," says Kathianne Sellers Williams, MEd, RD, LD, a registered dietitian, personal trainer, and wellness coach in Atlanta.

Williams has seen that with her clients. "When' I'm looking at people's food and activity logs, sometimes things just don't add up," she says. "I do think that people think, 'Oh, I just did 60 minutes at the gym' or 'I just did 30 minutes at the gym' and think that counteracts a lot of what they're eating. But the reality is, our food portions are huge."

4. Exercise machines may not tell the whole calorie story.
5. One daily workout may not be enough.

Replies

• kobrie17
    kobrie17 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    thats depressing.
    i feel less motivated by that.
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    Smaller portions.

Shorter exercise sessions at high intensity.

Debacle solved.
  • Euphonasia
    Euphonasia Posts: 136
    Options
    I'm already OCD about counting calories. I may have to be even more careful and really look at what I'm eating. Thanks for making me think about it!
  • Gogo
    Gogo Posts: 9,942 Member
    Options
    thats depressing.

I agree! I am feeling like all my hard work is for nothing now!:sad:
  • TankLily
    TankLily Posts: 34
    Options
    Don't Be Kobrie!!

Just be honnest with yourself about your work outs. If you are then your still doing GREAT.
    Remember the more muscle you have the more fat you burn!

Besides working out increases your cardio health, your flexability, in increases the amount you sweat and get rid of toxins, it's good for mood stability, stress managment, and you skin. A good work out should stimulate your mind body and sole, not to mention I find when I work out regularly I naturally eat better too. So don't worry about one silly studdy that isn't worded as good as it could be.

Working out also increases bone density!
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    thats depressing.

and why would you feel that way. no need to get discourage just have to push yourself to keep going. this wasnt to make anyone depressed it was a great article. to learn things that most people don't know.
  • GreenEyedMonster
    Options
    Williams has seen that with her clients. "When' I'm looking at people's food and activity logs, sometimes things just don't add up," she says. "I do think that people think, 'Oh, I just did 60 minutes at the gym' or 'I just did 30 minutes at the gym' and think that counteracts a lot of what they're eating. But the reality is, our food portions are huge."

Personally I used this website to help me change my habits and not to use it as a "I have to eat this much and exercise this much exactly". So far it works for me. Plus, regardless of the calories I'm burning, it feels good to be able to run 3.5 miles and not be gasping for air within the first 5 minutes.
  • mrsyac2
    Options

Personally I used this website to help me change my habits and not to use it as a "I have to eat this much and exercise this much exactly". So far it works for me. Plus, regardless of the calories I'm burning, it feels good to be able to run 3.5 miles and not be gasping for air within the first 5 minutes.

This wasn't anything towards this website. it was a good article that I wanted to share to educate-
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    its been about 3 years since my endeavors to lose weight. I lost 20 lbs in 3 months maintained that for 2 years and now wanting to get the other 20 off for my wedding. All I did was change my eating habits and walk for 30 min a day, nothing else, and I still only walk 30 min a day and continue to lose weight. My friend is a personal trainer and she says its all about what you are eating. 85% diet 15% exercise. I believe just as long as you do something everday its better than nothing.
  • GreenEyedMonster
    Options

This wasn't anything towards this website. it was a good article that I wanted to share to educate-

Oh no no no... I didn't mean I thought you were attacking the site. I was just thinking Williams comment about food and activity logs was kind of generalized which irritated me. Glad you posted it still. Just reminds me the "experts" sometimes say things that should just be taken with a grain of salt.
  • mouser79
    mouser79 Posts: 68
    Options
    Very depressing
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Hmm...I don't get why anyone would find that article depressing- it's all common sense, right? We here at MFP have an advantage over the general public in that we're paying a lot more attention to what we eat and how many calories we're burning, and we have all these great tools at our fingertips. It's easy (and even tempting) to overestimate your calorie burn, and underestimate your calories eaten...hopefully MFP keeps us honest with ourselves. :smile:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    my trainer friend tells a story of an older woman who came to the gym 2 nights a week at 10 pm , wearing her 60s body suit and tights in brown with her rebok sneakers.

she would walk slow to mod pace on the treadmill for 30 minutes and then do 10 pull downs, 10 leg raises and 10 adductor/abbductor machines.

One night the trainer was with a late client who was surprised to see the little lady. She said she worked at an all night diner and this lady came in 2 times a week at around 10:30, sat down, ordered tall milk and slice of cheesecake and said " Whew, I deserve it, I worked out hard tonight!"

They both noted she had steadily increased her girth in the year she was doing this.

It is true that I believed exercise was something that needed to be rewarded with food. Now I view it as a part of my life. The part that makes me strong and energetic!!

thanks for the article:flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    thats depressing.

NO NO guys!! This article is not about ppl who are on MFP counting, logging, counting, logging.....

We are being honest with ourselves..............we SEE it on paper! No lying when you input a 1/4 pounder with cheese in the data base!!

This article is referring to the general public. Most ppl I know have NO idea what they are putting in/taking out fo their bodies.

You are doing great by useing these tools, Keep up the great work:flowerforyou:
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    [/quote] Glad you posted it still. Just reminds me the "experts" sometimes say things that should just be taken with a grain of salt.
    [/quote]

On that note, I asked the nutritionist at the gym i go to if she would look at my food diary to see if she had any suggestions.....two weeks later....she said it looked good, but i wasn't eating enough salt!!?? :noway: I guess she missed the cheezits i had as a snack!! :laugh: :laugh: