Calories Burned???

Options
gtbalm
gtbalm Posts: 14 Member
I have a treadmill I walk on....

I just got a Polar F4 Heart Rate monitor that also says calories burned. Yesterday, my treadmill said I burned 216 calories (old treadmill) and my polar said I burned 362 cals....the polar is set for my stats (height, weight, age etc). Which one should I believe?

Replies

• Lrt4uk
    Lrt4uk Posts: 174
    Options
    I would go with the HRM
  • DinaLKeil
    DinaLKeil Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I always go with the lowest...I guess it kinda defeats the purpose of having an HRM but...i figure then I have a little safety if I go over or underestimate. I have an elliptical that gives the calories, an HRM and then the MFP estimate. The MFP estimate is always the lowest (for me,) contrary to what others have posted in the past.....:flowerforyou:
  • pozitivenergy816
    pozitivenergy816 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The HRM would be most accurate. I have the same monitor.
  • FreshStart89
    FreshStart89 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    HRM for sure.
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    machines typicaly give cals burned for 150 pound person

mfp can be to high or to low

hrm is based on your body etc .. go with that
  • acman145acp
    acman145acp Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Interesting discussion. The mfp estimate for the stationary bike and elliptical are always close to double what the machine says.
    I always just enter a little less than what the machine says as a "safety net".

I don't enter any calories burned for the weight lifting.
  • gtbalm
    gtbalm Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My treadmill didn't have any stat information....so today I used my brand new elliptical trainer.....I programmed it with my stats. I did one of it's workout programs and it said I burned 288 cals....my HRM said 263.....LOL, silly machines.....confusing me more.
  • Holleyisme2
    Options
    I realized that the exercise database does not include Bikram Yoga. I have an idea of how many you burn during a 90 minute session, but curious as to why they don't have it in here?