HELP! Those who measure inches I need advice!!

Options
Soooo here's the deal, I am a bridesmaid in a wedding this year at the end of June.
The wedding is about 10 1/2 weeks away but we need to order the bridesmaid dresses by the end of the week. I haven't taken my measurements prior to loosing weight so i had no idea where I'd be or how many inches I have lost so far BUT today I went to a bridal store and got my measurements taken.
I've been doing fitness pal for about 12 weeks and have lost about 17lbs. I wasn't 100% focused the whole time either, but none the less doing it the whole time. I'm torn on what size dress to order because I want it to fit right in 10 weeks.
I'm curious at what rate inches really come off with lbs? My clothes all fit looser and I'm about a size smaller than I was 12 weeks ago with 17lbs but I can still wear them for the most part.

I feel like I will definitely be able to hit 30lb loss by the wedding and that its an attainable goal for me. But, I have a feeling 30 is going to make a big difference compared to the first 17. Any advice on what you guys think I should do is MUCH appreciated since I have to have this taken care of by the end of the week.

The MAIN issue is she lives a different state than me and I won't be trying the dress on until about a day before the wedding....talk about pressure. Also, in previous years around this down 30 goal weight I was wearing a size 16-18 dress.

My measurements from today were:
Bust 43
Waist 38
Hip 49

And this is the size chart........................

Size 16
Bust 41
Waist 33
Hip 44

Size 18
Bust 43
Waist 35
Hip 46

Size 20
Bust 45
Waist 37
Hip 48.5

What size do you guys think I should get?

Replies

• Kaelabaela
    Options
    And I'm sorry for my horrible grammar and spelling losing wrong hahahaha!
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    If it is something that can be altered, I'd buy what fits now. It is much better to have a dress that is too big than too small. Too big can be made smaller closer to time for the wedding.
  • gogidget
    gogidget Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Ditto...It's better to have the dress taken in.
  • Kaelabaela
    Options
    How long would it take to alter the dress though? I won't be trying it on until the day before the wedding.
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Is there any way they could ship the dress to you before you go to the wedding? It's so hard to figure out where you'll be that far out. I was in my sister's wedding in October, bought one size smaller a few months out and the dress ended up too big. I wore it and it was fine but it would have looked better if I'd had the chance to have it tailored.
  • Sarahbear83
    Sarahbear83 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I would go with the 18 because the odds of you losing another 5 inches off of your waist in 10 weeks are slim. Alterations can be done the same day, but they might cost a bit more that way. It just depends if the bridal store will do them or if they expect to have weeks to get it back to you.
  • Sarahbear83
    Sarahbear83 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Oh, and be sure to ask how close the dress runs to the measurements. I might even go with the 20 due to the hip measurement. Especially if the dress isn't A-line and is more of a fitted skirt.
  • moepwr
    moepwr Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I have a masters in fashion and worked as a tailor. My advice is to order the size 18 or 20. I normally would say order the size you are now but you do have 10 weeks. An inch is about 5 pounds. So if you lose the 15 pounds then the size 18 would work. My worry with the size 20 is that you will have to get the bust taken in either way and if you lose the weight, and I believe that you can :smile: , you are going to be swimming in the size 20 dress. You will also know better when you try on the dress so see if they can send it to you now. Make is a big thing with dresses. They say 36 inch waist that could mean 34 or 38! It depends on how much ease they put in the dress and the style. If you can have it in your hands you can get it taken in a week before the wedding. In that case I would go for a 20. You can take away but you can't add! You could also order a 18 and get some spanx or a corset to get you to fit into the size 18. Also, what is the material? Is it on the bias? All these things will affect the fit. I hope this helps. e-mail me if you have any questions or you can send me a pic and material and I can tell you about the bias or material.
  • rr430rd
    rr430rd Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am in the exact same situation. Have to get my order in this week, wedding is in 13 weeks. I amin between sizes, too and am ordering the size down. I had my measurements taken by a seamstress at a local dry cleaning place. I asked about alterations and she said she can do most anything in a day and at the most (for major alterations) she guarantees things within one businees week. Fingers crossed I'll need alterations.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Okay, trying the dress on a day before the wedding is a recipe for disaster. She needs to mail you your dress a few weeks before the wedding so you can have it altered, period,. NO IFS ANDS OR BUTS!
  • Ralstonk2
    Ralstonk2 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Okay, trying the dress on a day before the wedding is a recipe for disaster. She needs to mail you your dress a few weeks before the wedding so you can have it altered, period,. NO IFS ANDS OR BUTS!

this
  • Kaelabaela
    Options
    FIRST OFF, you guys are very helpful! I should have included the link to the dress so you all could see the cut we're talking here. I didn't really think of having it shipped to me....no idea why hahaha. She has to order them all together there to receive a discount.
    So I'm thinking the 18, and have it shipped here......

http://www.venusbridal.com/print.php?sno=BM1290&refurl=http://www.venusbridal.com/bridesmaids/bella-maids/BM1290
  • Kaelabaela
    Options
    ooooh great advice
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I would go with the 18 because the odds of you losing another 5 inches off of your waist in 10 weeks are slim.

Hehehe. Puns.
  • krissymorgan31
    Options
    I was in a similar situation a few years ago. I ordered the size based on my measurements and I was SWIMMING in it! I had it sent to me and the week before the wedding I had it altered locally. I agree with the comment of 'you can take away, but you can't add'. I think you should order an 18 and have your seamstress alter it before the wedding.
  • moepwr
    moepwr Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Wow! That is beautiful! Lucky girl! You will be able to be flexible with the hips there as it is quite full. You could also hide all kinds of bust issues with the overlay. My worry is the waist is quite straight so it will need to fit well but with the flared skirt and top being the way it is you could easily get away with some spanx or a gurdle if you need too to smooth out the waist. I would go for 18 but have it sent to you! And remember even the best seamstress will need a week at least and it will be expensive to get it taken in at the last moment. Good luck! Post pics after the wedding!!
  • Kaelabaela
    Options
    I was in a similar situation a few years ago. I ordered the size based on my measurements and I was SWIMMING in it! I had it sent to me and the week before the wedding I had it altered locally. I agree with the comment of 'you can take away, but you can't add'. I think you should order an 18 and have your seamstress alter it before the wedding.

Agree, Probably the best bet.
  • Kaelabaela
    Options
    Wow! That is beautiful! Lucky girl! You will be able to be flexible with the hips there as it is quite full. You could also hide all kinds of bust issues with the overlay. My worry is the waist is quite straight so it will need to fit well but with the flared skirt and top being the way it is you could easily get away with some spanx or a gurdle if you need too to smooth out the waist. I would go for 18 but have it sent to you! And remember even the best seamstress will need a week at least and it will be expensive to get it taken in at the last moment. Good luck! Post pics after the wedding!!

Thanks much! I was totally planning on getting some spanx too hahahahahaha that will def suck it in a little as well.
    Thanks so much for your help, you were REALLY helpful!
  • Ralstonk2
    Ralstonk2 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I had a lot more time than you do. But. I am in my friends wedding June 1st. We ordered our dresses last September. But I knew I was in the wedding in May so my goal was to get into a 10 when we went to order the dresses. Well it fit! Like a glove! I was super excited but I didn't think it would. I was just happy with that. We got the dresses and in December I tried it on, still fit fine. Something told me to try it on about a month ago, because it was getting close if we needed to get a different size or something. I tried it on and it was way to big but I didn't think I could go down another size. So I took it to the store and I went down a whole size. So I ended up ordering an 8 for the wedding. It fits perfect. I just hope I don't go down to much till June 1st because there's no more time to order smaller! LOL

She really needs to ship it to you as soon as they get them! Because a lot could change even if your not thinking about the dress exactly! Even the store may be able to ship it directly to you, she can still order them all together but the store itself can probably put your address down. :)
  • Kaelabaela
    Options
    I had a lot more time than you do. But. I am in my friends wedding June 1st. We ordered our dresses last September. But I knew I was in the wedding in May so my goal was to get into a 10 when we went to order the dresses. Well it fit! Like a glove! I was super excited but I didn't think it would. I was just happy with that. We got the dresses and in December I tried it on, still fit fine. Something told me to try it on about a month ago, because it was getting close if we needed to get a different size or something. I tried it on and it was way to big but I didn't think I could go down another size. So I took it to the store and I went down a whole size. So I ended up ordering an 8 for the wedding. It fits perfect. I just hope I don't go down to much till June 1st because there's no more time to order smaller! LOL

She really needs to ship it to you as soon as they get them! Because a lot could change even if your not thinking about the dress exactly! Even the store may be able to ship it directly to you, she can still order them all together but the store itself can probably put your address down. :)

DAMN girl!! Good job! I bet you'll look fab in the wedding :)