Not losing...need help

Options
I started this journey on Monday March 26. I visited my doctor on March 27 weighing in at 222.1. I am 5 feet 4 inches tall. Time for a change. I immediately cut all sugar and sweets out of my diet and started eating more fruits and veggies accompanied by the GNC Lean Shake system. I also increased my activity. I currently run/walk EVERYDAY for at least 45 minutes. My treadmill usually reads around 600 calories burned for 45 minutes of cardio. I'm getting discouraged as I have only lost ONE POUND! How can that be? I have not cheated. I have exercised my *kitten* off and still only one pound. I want to stay committed and keep doing this but its very hard to be committed when you don't see the results on the scale. Please MFP tell me what I am doing wrong...

Replies

• Razbet
    Razbet Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you think you are eating a day?
  • gail6463
    gail6463 Posts: 1
    Options
    You have to remember that muscle weghs more than fat. Go by how your clothing fit and not bythe numbers on the sacle
  • emmasmom1205
    Options
    I eat right around 1200 calories a day. My profile is public.
  • nrosado78
    Options
    Thats what ive been doing ive noticed weight has been coming off slow now but the inches are melting away!
  • apeluso1985
    Options
    Cutting sugar is hard! Don't lose sight of your hard work.
  • BrittanieGo
    BrittanieGo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You just gave your body a whole shock, its gonna take a while for it to figure stuff out, be patient, if you are moving, and eating right it will come off.

and muscle does NOT weigh more than fat, don't let people tell you that. They weigh the same but 5 pounds of muscle is much smaller than 5 pounds of fat..
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    You have to remember that muscle weghs more than fat. Go by how your clothing fit and not bythe numbers on the sacle

Muscle does not weigh more than fat - a pound is a pound, but muscle takes up less space than fat.

make sure you are eating enough - how many calories are you taking in?

also, the 26th was what, a couple weeks ago?? that's not that long ago, and it takes a bit for your body to adjust what you're doing to it. Also if you are eating fruits and veggies, you didn't cut sugars. I'm not sure about that 'shake system' you're doing, so I don't know how well you're feeding your body. High protein with lots of veggies, and beans, is the way to go -- limit sugars (including fruits & starchy carbs - breads, etc) Also watch your sodium as that makes you retain water. Speaking of water, are you drinking enough water?

IF you're not eating enough (which seems to be a common trend around here) you will not lose weight. IT is a common misconception that to lose weight you have to starve yourself. This is simply not true. I eat between 1800-2000 calories a day on a regular basis, and have lost over 100lbs.

Also, did you take measurements? the scale is NOT the only measure of progress.
  • willyzification
    willyzification Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Sorry Im just going to copy paste what I wrote on another topic: Your eating 1200 calories only and you exercise on top of that. VERY BAD, NO NO NEIN!!! :D but in all seriousness read below:

1.First tip (and this may sound bad) EAT MORE. The saying eat more to lose more is true, as I will say below what makes you lose fat and burn calories are your muscles. To do this they need to EXIST and FUNCTION properly which means you need to eat more to keep them happy (no low carb shinanigans unless you are sitting on a couch all day and not working out (I hope not))

2. DO WEIGHTS (no kidding):
    Do you know how your body burns calories? What makes them go bye bye? The calorie burning furnace that is inside you is your MUSCLES! Obviously the extent of its effectiveness can be questioned as (generally) a woman doesnt gain as much muscle as a man, but the concept is still the same nonetheless. Your week should consist of at least 3 days weights and 2 days HIITS (for fat loss).

3. DO HIITS (high intensity interval training)
    HIITS generally last from 25-40 min TOPS so isnt time consuming, yet they are more effective than 1.5 hours on a treadmill. Within the first 5-10 of a HIITS workout you are sweating profusely, panting and out of breath. (This is the point where all that fatty badness just melts away)

and this is what Judgebunny said quoting her in regards to what I said above:
    "I completely agree here! your not losing weight because your depriving your body of the fuel it needs to function. Your not losing the weight because your body is holding on to all the foods it can to keep moving. If you hit the gym hard and burn 1000 a day, plus what you burn resting and doing daily activites, you should atleast be eating 1800+ calories. Im no DR or R.D but from my weight loss experience (down 75lbs before this site) the less I ate and the more I exercised the more weight I retained."
  • Elizabeth0913
    Options
    Maybe you should purchase a tape measure, you could be losing inches. I definitely would NOT give up!!
  • LeslieMDoyle
    LeslieMDoyle Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    make sure you drink lots of water. otherwise your body will store it. it sounds like you're doing amazing things though. keep working it and it'll work for you.
  • MostlyHealthyMomma
    MostlyHealthyMomma Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Have you checked your sodium intake and sugar? There's sugar in everything. Also I'd suggest maybe mixing up your work outs. It seems a little strange that you're not losing anything when you're just starting. Were you already in a healthier weight range? Also you can try playing with eating more calories- I'm still getting used to the idea myself. Good luck! Stick with it :)
  • 967_1111
    967_1111 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You should search the forums and review the topic "eating my exercise calories". You are eating 1,200 a day, but burning another 600. As weird as this may sound, eat a little bit more.

Also, not a big fan of meal replacements for breakfast. I understand it might be necessary sometimes, but I'd rather eat real food.

Like everyone else, I'm not a doctor. Ensure you are getting proper medical advice, too.
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    You've only been at this two weeks. The only thing you're doing 'wrong' is expecting for there to be more happening. Set your goals appropriately, follow what MFP says, log your exercise and eat at least some of that back - results will come.
  • hutchy100
    hutchy100 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'd say eat a proper breafast maybe turkey bacon and eggs not a high calorie breakfast
  • kabarnes45
    kabarnes45 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    For the first 6 weeks of getting on track I personally get booo for results, but 2-4 months in I start to see real progress which makes up of the first 6 weeks. Blame water, muscle weight, broken scale, the dog... whatever gets you through those first weeks. If you have someone at home who vocalizes being proud of you for the effort, it helps a lot. In the mean time NSVs are your best friend (things like I've logged on MFP x days, I have walked x miles this week, I've hit my calorie goals and tried new recipes...) Good luck!
  • willyzification
    willyzification Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Tbh your body getting used to change and hence not seeing results within the first few weeks to month is bogus (IMO). I have been eating right and doing the right things for about 2 months now and I can see good VISUAL results, even from the first 2 weeks!

If you want to lose weight at an unhealthy rate and have a weak and feeble body that doesnt respond well then eat very little (calories 1200 calories and below), however if you want a healthy, strong, good looking body that responds fantastic and people go WOW I wish i was like that person, then do some real research in how to do it. If you go on the street and do a survey on what the general people think is the best way to lose weight they will most likely say eat less calories. WITH this logic eventual failure is the outcome (or if your really dedicated, an unhealthy yet skinny body). (Sorry If I come off as rude and negative, but I've been saying the same stuff over and over in so many topics lol)

Im going to copy paste something I wrote earlier (because this answer seems to answer alot of topic questions seriously...):

"From what I can read your burning 1000 calories but your only eating 1300-1500 calories? I dont like those numbers very much.
    1.First tip (and this may sound bad) EAT MORE. The saying eat more to lose more is true, as I will say below what makes you lose fat and burn calories are your muscles. To do this they need to EXIST and FUNCTION properly which means you need to eat more to keep them happy (no low carb shinanigans unless you are sitting on a couch all day and not working out (I hope not))

2. DO WEIGHTS (no kidding):
    Do you know how your body burns calories? What makes them go bye bye? The calorie burning furnace that is inside you is your MUSCLES! Obviously the extent of its effectiveness can be questioned as (generally) a woman doesnt gain as much muscle as a man, but the concept is still the same nonetheless. Your week should consist of at least 3 days weights and 2 days HIITS (for fat loss).

3. DO HIITS (high intensity interval training)
    HIITS generally last from 25-40 min TOPS so isnt time consuming, yet they are more effective than 1.5 hours on a treadmill. Within the first 5-10 of a HIITS workout you are sweating profusely, panting and out of breath. (This is the point where all that fatty badness just melts away) "

Response from Judgebunny:

"I completely agree here! your not losing weight because your depriving your body of the fuel it needs to function. Your not losing the weight because your body is holding on to all the foods it can to keep moving. If you hit the gym hard and burn 1000 a day, plus what you burn resting and doing daily activites, you should atleast be eating 1800+ calories. Im no DR or R.D but from my weight loss experience (down 75lbs before this site) the less I ate and the more I exercised the more weight I retained.

Goodluck "