5K Running For Cover

Options
Trying to train for my 5k Running For Cover. My neighbor's husband died of cancer in December and they are having a 5k walk/run for the research of Melanoma. I told her I would join not knowing 5k is a friggin longgggg way lol for me..So I have to be ready by June! I'm so excited!

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Good luck with the training.

If you haven't looked at it yet lots of people here seem to be big fans of the couch to 5 k program (C25K) - haven't used it myself - you should have enough time to prepare. If running the whole 5K seems a little ambitious take walking breaks. Most running injuries are a result of trying to do too much too soon.

Listen to your body and have fun!
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    A 5K is only 3.1 miles. I waked my first one last year and it took me 52 minutes. I looked at the stats later and the 70 years olds beat me! You can do it! Just walk and if you feel ambitious, jog.
  • Vixen0113
    Vixen0113 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    For a very overweight person 3.1 miles is a lot lol. But I'm trying to get myself motivated and trying to do walks to the park to get myself used to it. I have 2 more months to get ready and lose at least another 30 lbs and it should be a lil easier..thanks girls :)
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Two months is enough time to use a Couch 2 5K plan and be ready for the 5K run.

I did C25K earlier this year (I'm now working my way up to 10K) and I ran my first 5K race as the first run of Week 8 of the program... and did great!

If you can get to the later weeks (7, 8, 9) of the program by race day, the adrenaline of being in the race and the atmosphere should get you all the way to the finish line.

Ted
  • kuregisto
    kuregisto Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    +1 for the Couch to 5k programs. There are plenty of free training guides online to get you started. Everyone asking me about getting started with a running program usually ends up getting directed down this same route.
  • Renee_Leslie
    Options
    Hey Hun :-),
    Another walk to think about might be "Relay for Life", sponcered by the American Cancer Society. They are run all over the US in the spring and summer. Getting a motivational Team and raising money for cancer research, and then spending the evening walking a track in 30 minute intervals may be a good precurser to the 5K. It is also fun and a great way to meet motivational friends and companions on your weight-loss "adventure". I was able to do this relay at 300 lbs., I hope to be able to do this again once I am back down to the lower 300's and using minimal support (cane, not crutches or wheelchair). God bless... :smile:
  • TopazCarey
    TopazCarey Posts: 263
    Options
    Definitely look into c25k. I'm doing it now. Just finished with week 7, day 3 which is 25 minutes of straight running and I got through it without dying. This coming from someone who could barely run 1 minute straight during the first week of the program. It's definitely worth it.
  • Elizaj85
    Elizaj85 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hello, I was a very larger person when I trained for my first 5k the NHS does a free podcast called C25K (couch to 5k) you can get from i-tunes an directly off of there website and i found it doable. I had to go back and redo a few weeks at a time but it got me there and able to run it in 40 mins at a heavier weight then I am at the moment. Just believe in yourself and you'll do it an for such a great cause! Good luck huni
  • tnorkus
    tnorkus Posts: 45
    Options
    I thought the same thing until I signed up for a 5k Heart Association walk. After I finished it I was amazed how short it felt. I walked with a coworker and just talked the whole time. We did it in about 45 minutes and not walking all that fast. I am going to RUN the same event this year. This was the event that made me want to start running. I started by trying to run 1/10 of a mile at a time. Once I mastered that I would go 2/10th's. I'm up to 5 miles now!!!
    I'm not the fastest but its a good workout and after some of the workday's I've been having it really allows me to decompress and relax.

Go for it!!!!
  • jenalderman
    jenalderman Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Plus another 1 for C25K. I went from being able to run for only 30 seconds at a time less than a year ago to being able to run 10 miles. I'm now training for my first half marathon.
  • maryduggins
    maryduggins Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!

In January this year I could barely run 1/4 mile... but I kept pushing myself (run as long as I could, walk until I caught my breath, run again, walk again, for a mile) Finally (about 2-3 weeks later) I could run a full mile!!! Then, there was no stopping(: I kept up with it, and now I can run 3 miles (actually, I do it 3-5 times per week!!!) I ran my first 5k two weeks ago and I'm running another this Saturday(:

Stick with it! You'll do great!!!(:
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    You can do it. I started after my heart attack in April. I started running in August and ran a 5K in 32 minutes a few weeks ago. Lots of ways to train for it. I like the "run as far as you can, walk for 1 minute, and ran as far as you can. I kept increasing the times until I ran 3.1 miles without walking. But you can do time, or distance.
  • loves_jc
    loves_jc Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Good luck with the training.

If you haven't looked at it yet lots of people here seem to be big fans of the couch to 5 k program (C25K) - haven't used it myself - you should have enough time to prepare. If running the whole 5K seems a little ambitious take walking breaks. Most running injuries are a result of trying to do too much too soon.

Listen to your body and have fun!
  • tdrinkard85
    Options
    That's awesome. A 5K is very feasible. Just starting training!
  • loves_jc
    loves_jc Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    This is a good program I am using it I did my first 5k last saturday (easter weekend)
  • LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I have my first 5k schedule for next month......I've been following the Beef25k program (which is the same as the Couch 25k program except I inserted my own name). Take your time and build gradually.....you can do it!

Good luck!
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Another +1 for C25K. It took me 14 weeks (instead of 9) to get through it. I finished 18 months ago and am running my first half marathon in 25 days!! I have no doubt that if you put your mind to it and committ, you'll get there sooner than you think!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    you can do this! :) check out the couch to 5k program!
  • patita65
    patita65 Posts: 5
    Options
    I'll put in another plug of the "Couch to 5K", and the NHS one is very good..."Laura" became my best friend for those 9 weeks!. I did it at the begining of last year and ran my first 5km fun run once I'd complete the program. I was slow, but I finished and I didn't come last. It's a 9 week program, so you should be ready to run by June, even if you don't finish the program in that time. I was also 17kg heavier then, so you can do it even if you are carrying some weight! Go for it! You can do it!
  • goodme02
    goodme02 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5k a few weeks ago and finished in 33 minutes! I was super proud of myself, and I am signed up to do another one in a couple of weeks. You'll do great! :) Here's the training schedule I used to prepare for it, and it seemed to work very well: http://running.about.com/od/racetraining/a/first5K.htm . I am now working on a 10k training plan! Good luck to you!