I'm so discouraged :(

Options
I'm not overweight. I'm actually pretty happy with my weight lately. I'm up to the point where I can run 10 miles pretty comfortably. I feel fit. Then, I look at other girls on my college campus. They work out half the amount of time that I do and eat junk all day. But they look so much thinner and even more toned than me. It's so discouraging!!!! What am I doing wrong?!?!? I mean, I don't eat super healthy (I might eat 2 things in a day that aren't in one of the good food groups), but I eat wayyy healthier than most people. And I work out so hard! I hear that people usually look their best in college. If that's true, that sucks!!!!!

Replies

• annie24342
    annie24342 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Someone give me motivation and support please!!
  • grdinagirl
    grdinagirl Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Me too! You can do it...i actually wrote a post about being discouraged...they said alot of great things!! check it out
  • laurenfrankie95
    Options
    You can't go comparing yourself to others. Just look back at the progress you've made, and forget about the others because only YOU'RE progress is going to make you happy.
  • BellaB7810
    Options
    First of all, you have to stop comparing yourself to other people. It's pointless. You are the only one like you and they are the only one like them. You will never be someone else so accept who YOU are and go with it.

Secondly, every body is so vastly different. With all our similarities, everyone has different metabolic rates, different physiological measurements, different hormone levels, etc. If you know you are doing your best, then be proud of yourself! If you want to get better in one area or another, then do it but not because you think you should or should not look like someone else. You mentioned tone. You want more tone? No problem! There are very specific exercises you can do to achieve that. I admire the amount of running you are doing. I have had to work very hard to increase my endurance level and I still could not keep up with you when it comes to running. I could look down on myself for that because I've trained so hard and for so long. I should be better. I should be able to run like you. (You see where I'm going with this?)

If you want to improve, you can. If you think you aren't as good as someone else, then you aren't. But if you think you have done a terrific job and you know you can do better, then you WILL! Your focus is determining your outcome and how you feel about yourself. I don't have to prove that because you can look at what you've been thinking and see how it's affected you.

Acknowledge your success girl! What you have accomplished is an awesome thing! Look at the positives and go from there and if you want another friend, then message me. But don't dog yourself. You are better than that and you can be unstoppable if you let yourself. It's totally up to you chica!
  • bevsdietfor2011
    bevsdietfor2011 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    You have come soooo far and you can go on. I just want to say that everyone is made differently and even though they may look thinner they may not be as healthy as you. You need to focus on you and you alone. I want you to reflect on all the positive things that you said you have done......I think you look great!!! keep your chin up and keep up the faith you are doing great!!!!!

Hugs
  • Hawksbillus
    Hawksbillus Posts: 128 Member
    Options

Check out Staci's story:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

This article convinced my wife to start strength training with me.
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    This might not be helpful, but I was told in a support group once that even though these people might look good, it doesn't mean they are healthy. You can be less toned or whatever, and be far healthier than those people, and it is health that counts. Even if they aren't gaining weight they are still damaging their bodies by malnourishing them and eating nothing but junk. By the way, I think you like fantastic, and I hope to someday be down to your size!
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I'm not overweight. I'm actually pretty happy with my weight lately. I'm up to the point where I can run 10 miles pretty comfortably. I feel fit. Then, I look at other girls on my college campus. They work out half the amount of time that I do and eat junk all day. But they look so much thinner and even more toned than me. It's so discouraging!!!! What am I doing wrong?!?!? I mean, I don't eat super healthy (I might eat 2 things in a day that aren't in one of the good food groups), but I eat wayyy healthier than most people. And I work out so hard! I hear that people usually look their best in college. If that's true, that sucks!!!!!
    Are you only looking at the skinny girls? Or the fat ones too?
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    You look extremely thin in your picture. I'm in college, and I promise you that if I saw you walking around campus I would assume that you are one of those naturally skinny girls who eats whatever she wants and blah blah blah.

You can't judge others because you don't know their struggles. Maybe those girls all suffer from eating disorders. Maybe those girls do the same things you do. Maybe they are naturally skinny. But it shouldn't matter.

Don't worry about other people. You will NEVER be happy with yourself if you compare yourselves to others...
  • cyberskirt
    cyberskirt Posts: 218
    Options
    you look skinny and nice to me.

remember that you may be unfairly comparing yourself to people.
  • fitforlife34
    fitforlife34 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    whatever. you look great, i would love to look as fit as you. But yeah, I'm in the comparison trap too. I always compare myself to others. But it's hard when you are in college. Just love yourslef with how you are. As long as your working out and doing good. FYI, eating junk food, in the long run will cause clogged arteries, heart disease, diabetes etc. WHETHER you look skinny or not. So keep it up.
  • dixeyk
    dixeyk Posts: 20
    Options
    I work on a college campus and when I go to the gym it's pretty hard to be that gray haired dude (I'm 51) surrounded by ripped college guys (and girls). That stopped when I got on the much hated and feared machine they use to train your legs for snowboarding, cranked it up to the highest setting and did 10 minutes on it (of course I've been training on it for months). I got stunned looks from the much younger guys in the weight room that were shocked that I could do it (and they couldn't). Be happy with who you are and don't compare yourself to them. I wonder how many of them could run 10 yards let alone 10 miles?

You're doing great!
  • iLikepistachios
    Options
    i agree with these ladies!
    i cant stand that i work hard exercising and dont eat junk, and i still am not as small as my friends who don't do anything.
    do not focus on other people.
    we all have different bodies, and we can't change them. we have to accept what we are blessed with.
    there's probably something about your body that you dont like, find something positive about it!
    i absolutely cant stand my broad shoulders. they aren't slim like girl's shoulders "should be" but you know what? i rocked out in competitive gymnastics. without my broad shoulders, i wouldnt have been able to climb the rope without using my legs and my strength wouldn't be near as mighty.
    all your life there are gonna be people who have or can do something better than you can. if we compared ourselves to everyone that would be so much time wasted!
    i know there is someone right now who envy's something about you.
    be so thankful for your body and everything you are capable of doing with it.
    you know you work hard and now i know you work hard. enjoy what you're doing and dont let any negative thoughts get ya down!
    good job and keep it up :)
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    SKINNIER IS NOT HEALTHIER.

People that eat junk food and look skinny have no muscle tone.

Ok, and...somewhere in there you said you run ten miles regularly, so...you got nothin' to complain about.

:bigsmile:

<---jealous
  • JessicaMarie9382
    Options
    First of all, you are gorgeous! I wish I had a body like yours! You aren't doing anything wrong, sometimes there are unhealthy thin people that can just metabolize food better, but the fact that you can run 10 miles amazes and encourages me, I hope to be like you soon! Haha, keep your head up, girl! You're a knock out! :)
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options

Check out Staci's story:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Oh my gosh, thank you!!!! THAT is what I want to do.
  • mskari77
    mskari77 Posts: 142
    Options

Check out Staci's story:

Great article! I already lift, but will definitely read it over again in the morning for extra tips on eating.
  • annie24342
    annie24342 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of your encouragement and advice, everyone!!!!
  • bigsizemo
    bigsizemo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    In life there is ALWAYS someone who looks better, just focus on being the best YOU can be cause thats all we can do, trust me people ARE looking at you and loving what they see and wanting that body type as well, so DO YOU and be happy, as long as your comfortable who cares