Breakfast decisions

Options
I am new to MFP. For breakfast I usually eat 2 bagels weith cream cheese This seems to stick with me for quite awhile. This is important due to I work in a busy ER and often dont get lunch or have to eat lunch on the run. My question is....what can I eat that is fast to prepare and keep me full for quite awhile this is healthier and less calories?

Replies

• thinnerisstronger
    thinnerisstronger Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Ditch the bagel, for sure. Bagels have a lot of carbs (and I'm not saying carbs are bad- they are good! carbs = energy). But bagels are good if you plan on running a marathon or something immediately after because you need that much energy.

Oatmeal is very fast and nutritious. Put 1/2 cup in a bowl with some milk (I use almond) or some water and whatever other additives you like (cinnamon, peanut butter, NUTELLA, brown sugar or honey, banana, almonds, protein powder, coconut flakes. the portabilities are ENDLESS). Microwave it for a minute and a half and ta da! The fibre will keep you full for hours. Also did I mention it's delicious?

ps: welcome to mfp!
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Make an egg sammy at home. Easy to prepare. Heathly. And, the add in options are endless.

My fav is a bagel thin, scrabbled eggs with mushroom, spinach & onion. I also sprinkle some blakc pepper & garlic power. I spread the bagel thin with some laughing cow cheese. Assemble as a sammy & enjoy. Portable for on the go or at home breakfasts.
  • tnpedsrn
    tnpedsrn Posts: 2
    Options
    Those are some great ideas, I just have to eat something that can possibly carry me from 6am until 7pm. I have been eating baby carrots on the go when I cant stop for lunch. I use to bring chips or cracker for everyone in case we couldnt eat and those days are gone. I have heard a few growls lol, but those are the breaks.
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal - microwave it for like 2-3 minutes and it's done! You can add nuts, berries, cinnamon, etc to it.
    Cottage cheese or greek yogurt with fruit/nuts/etc - high in protein and very filling! Takes a minute to prepare :)
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I try to get carbs protein and dairy in at breakfast if you can - it makes me feel fuller longer for sure. Nuts would be a great snack to keep you full later on in the day, too.
  • BeeSunny
    BeeSunny Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I hope you eat more than just breakfast for all those hours dear, I would die!! I am sure you stay pretty busy and need something which will give you energy, protein and fiber are good combos to feel full. if you are concerned about weight I would switch to bagel thins less carbs and maybe use laughing cow new cream cheese cinnamon spread 45 calories. There are also Belvita Breakfast biscuits, easy for on the go. I would pack along a few raw nuts like almonds, with an apple for a snack, or low fat string cheese with and apple, high in fiber and protein which can both help with feeling full. Hope that helps :flowerforyou:
  • BeeSunny
    Options
    Yum I have to try that thank you!
  • BeeSunny
    Options
    Yum I have to try that thank you!

Oatmeal - microwave it for like 2-3 minutes and it's done! You can add nuts, berries, cinnamon, etc to it.
    Cottage cheese or greek yogurt with fruit/nuts/etc - high in protein and very filling! Takes a minute to prepare :)
  • Kooraloo
    Kooraloo Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Many other people have said stuff about oatmeal... I noticed that if you add like half a scoop of protein powder to that it keeps you full even longer!
  • jessww
    jessww Posts: 10
    Options
    if you aren't allergic to peanut butter I'd recommend spreading 0.5tbsp of peanut butter on a small whole wheat tortilla shell and then putting a banana sliced on it. VIOLA! Banana wrap! Sometimes I like to add a wee bit of nutella (guilty pleasure [": ) If you can't find the tortilla shells, try two pieces of whole wheat bread.

Even cheese and apple slices is really filling! But I agree with what everyone has mentioned so far as well (:
  • CaoimheAine
    CaoimheAine Posts: 195
    Options
    Fruit salad & yoghurt, Omelette with ham and vegies, Oats :)
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    OMLETTE! I normally do 3 eggs, 2 slices of turkey bacon, and a small amount of cheese. Add a fruit on the side, and you're full for under 500 calories!
  • remembertoexercise
    Options
    try oatmeal with a few apples raisins and walnuts :)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I am new to MFP. For breakfast I usually eat 2 bagels weith cream cheese This seems to stick with me for quite awhile. This is important due to I work in a busy ER and often dont get lunch or have to eat lunch on the run. My question is....what can I eat that is fast to prepare and keep me full for quite awhile this is healthier and less calories?
    If you're constantly scrambling around a busy ER, I see nothing wrong with bagels and cream cheese. Carbs for energy, and a decent mix of fat and protein from the cream cheese. I don't see a need to change if it works for you, I really can't think of much that would be faster to prepare.
  • divalivious
    divalivious Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    What about for when your on the go and can only grab a quick snack but not a full lunch.. packing protein bars, baggie of cut up veggies with hummus.
  • pams132
    pams132 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Quick foods for on the go: Instead of 2 bagels with cream cheese.
    : Try making a bagel with peanut butter. Eat half . Next 2 min break eat the second half.
    : banana
    : individual greek yogurts _recommend Oikos or Liberte_ usually 100g..LOTS of protein (keeps u full)
    :almonds (5 a day before 2pm keeps you going)
    : boil 5 eggs on Sunday...you have a boiled egg for every am.

I work in a busy surgeon's office too. But i likely get more of a 15min break for lunch.
    You have to have everything on the go pretty much. But that's no excuse - so i bought a big lunch bag from Walmart and pack it up every morning/even. You have to find quick, tasty foods that you will stick to.

You can have one bagel with cream cheese twice a week....but it's better than every day ;)

Get the already cut up veggies from the store. Apples. Pears. Oranges. Bananas.
    Prepared salads....be good on your dressings.
    Cottage cheese + mandarin or tangerine - buy two tubs - eat half with two clementines and half the next day.

All of the above can be mixed and matched up for a pretty good brekkie, lunch and snack...so u r full until u get home.

5 min breaks...that's all u need - 3 x a day. More if someone will help u out....and support is key ;)

Good luck!
  • m0dizzle
    m0dizzle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I usually have a bagel THIN with veggie cream cheese and stacked with steamed spinach, and other veggies. A cup of coffee or a glass of milk (keeps you full longer) and a granola bar or greek yogurt.
  • Maybe switching to a whole wheat bagel with peanut butter would be just as portable and a little more healthy/keep you full longer... I know that I work long days as well, and my #1 focus is PROTEIN. Protein bars will keep you full for a really, really long time, just make sure there isn't too much sugar. Larabars are awesome, all they have in them is dried fruit, nuts, and spices. I'll admit that I often reach for a Slim-Fast or Special K bar mid-afternoon though. I try to make sure that my snacks have at least 8+ grams of protein if I'm eating them at work, to keep me full until I can have a meal. The protein powder in oatmeal sounds like a GREAT idea, by the way!
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Google the yummy life for Overnight, No-Cook Refrigerator Oatmeal -- A healthy breakfast made in mason jars in six different flavors! You make it up the night before just throw everything in a pint size mason jar. You can grab it and go. Protein shake, omelet is always yummo or egg scramble, or a breakfast sandwich on bagel thins or English muffin.
  • bruces41
    bruces41 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have a packet of Maple and Brown Sugar High Fiber Oatmeal. I cut a banana into it and put a 1/3 of a cup of bran buds as well. I cool it down with a bit of skim milk and then have a cup of skim milk to drink. Its only about 430 calories but I get most of my fiber, a lot of protein and a bit of carbs. I am usually very full after this.