Ignorance is bliss...till you try to buy new clothes.

Options
My name is Kris. I'm a school teacher and trying to loose a dramatic amount of weight. I don't have very much time to exercise and don't have a whole lot of money to commit to gym memberships. I'm up at 5am, home by 7pm and in bed by 10pm. I've been big since childhood. I've made attempts to lose or maintain my weight but I just can't seem to get a grasp on it. The most weight I lost was 60lbs when I was taking boxing classes. It was the best I ever felt. I had to give it up because it was expensive. I hope to get back into it soon. But until then, I'm stuck buying new clothes for a new school year and feeling hopeless and depressed at the thought of going up in sizes. Any help or words of wisdom from anyone out there...I'm all ears.

Replies

• ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard ...... i workout with cardio tapes .... the biggest loser video is the best for me and not expensive at all... GOOD LUCK IN THE LOSING WEIGHT JOURNEY and know YOU CAN DO THIS !!!!
  • Silver_Dream
    Silver_Dream Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I bought Danskins Now Magic Circle for like 13 or 14$ and I use it 3 to 4 times a week and I"ve already seen in a difference in just using it for one week. I lost 2 lbs. I'm sure you can do it! Just be very faithful about logging your food and exercise.
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    Remember that you have to take care of YOU before you can take care of anyone else. They tell us that on every flight we take during the safety stuff. Put your mask on first! You don't need a lot of time to carve out. 30 mins is great to start with. I read an article that Madonna only works out 45 minutes a day. Never any longer. But the key is she never misses a workout. Just stay consistent. Do something and you'll start to see the changes you want.

You can do this! Set small goals. Everyone on here will help you. That's what we are here for! Good Luck!
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    The knowledge you gain just from honestly utilizing the food diary will give you the knowledge you need to begin making changes. You don't have to do it all at once. Small steps is fine, at least you're moving in the right direction. and the people here are so supportive and friendly that even if you're having a down day you can expect to find someone here more than willing to give some advice, or just a much needed pat on the back.

After I got my diet under control (I honestly am eating more food than I used too, but it's less calories) I moved into walking, and now I'm doing the Couch to 5K. I don't have money for expensive gym memberships or cd's either, I'm a single mom. But walking and running is free. :-)

Just know that it's okay to start slow. I was so surprised at how quickly things began to move in the right direction with the help of this web site and the people on it.

Hang tight to hope, steel yourself with determination - the same determination that you use when teaching the children at your school, and it won't be long until you see progress!!!

You too are worthy of being taken care of, the way you try to take care of those kids, so don't skimp on YOU!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP, the best website ever!!!! You will love it here if you don't already. I love it here. This site is so supportive, motivational, helpful, easy to use, and everyone here is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to wish you much success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    You can get the exercise videos at the Library or (I think) Net Flix to save some until you know which ones you like.

Once you get active even for 30 minutes a day, you will start feeling better and it will get easier to make the time for addin in activity in your schedule.

You could even try getting a group together to walk during your lunch break. It doesn't have to be a lot at first. Even 10-15 minutes will make a difference in how you feel. Before long you will be WANTING to increase the time.

Good Luck:drinker:
  • LeeiaL
    LeeiaL Posts: 40
    Options
    Kris...

Don't give up!! There are very effective exercise DVDs that you can do at home. I love, love, love going to the gym..love getting out and meeting people. BUT I have not been to the gym in 8 months b/c I found some very effective DVDs that I can do at home, and they take LESS THAN AN HOUR to complete.

Any of Jillian Michaels' DVDs - 30 day shred, Banish Fat Boost Metabolism, No More Trouble Zones (all cost less than $20). Some of them are even on Youtube - you don't have to buy them!

Beachbody.com has really terriffic products, and they have a message board and all types of support to get you through - I love them!

You don't have to be a gym rat to lose weight. Just get some good DVDs and you're all set.

You can do it!!
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Do you get a lunch break at work? If you do, just make a decision to go out and walk briskly for 20 minutes or so everyday during that time...it might have the positive effect of also giving you an extra energy boost. Then take Saturday and Sunday and go for really long walks or walk/run's in the morning...Good luck :)
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    you can do it. put yourself and your health higher on your priority list. there are plenty of free or nearly free ways to get exercise. <insert nike slogan here>
  • HOPEful27
    Options
    I am a busy single mother of three who does not have a lot of time to dedicate to myself. You have to work with what you can. A lot of small changes may not seem like a lot, but together they can make dramatic results. I sit at a desk all day so I take the stairs instead of the elevator (no matter what), I found little exercises I can do while I am sitting at my desk, like holding in my stomach muscles for a while, I even do squats in the bathroom! :laugh: I also started walking on luch (FREE exercise!!!) I turn on the music when I do things around the house like cooking & cleaning, I found that I move a little faster whith the music & it puts me in a better mood. You can get healthy without breaking the bank. I do cruches, push ups & squats when I first get up & at night. I know it sounds a little like elementary school gym class, but it gets the job done & its free. Keep your head up & don't get sucked into the depression. You can do it!
  • HeatherMMB
    Options
    Hi Kaywalker 007! :flowerforyou:

Welcome to THE best and MOST supportive site on the web!! you will find all you need here I am sure!

You CAN do this - just decide that you can and take it one step at a time - small changes for really big results. Your post reminds me of what I used to do - look at the big picture and get overwhelmed.

Just take it a day at a time - make informed choices and changes - don't live in the past - stay connected to the folks on MFP - you'll get there and make some great friends along the way and be supported by people on the same journey.

Congratulations on making a healthy choice for YOU!! You deserve to be healthy and to feel good about you!!

First change - drink lots of water :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said. You CAN do this! Set your expectations realistically - you can't exercise for 2 hours every day. This is a lifestyle change. Set goals - for example, 30 mins cardio 3x/wk. You can carve out time for that, right? Take a walk, walk the track, do a video, do a tv exercise thing, jump rope, whatever, just get started. You know you can lose it with a high intensity cardio, you just need to find the things that you can do right now.

If you watch your food and eat right, you'll lose some weight, and you'll be a lot healthier. That's number 1 priority, take care of your body, give it what it needs, get rid of the crap and toxins. Make a successful environment for yourself when it comes to eating, get rid of the junk food, take your lunches, etc. Eat your snacks, drink your water.

Maybe in the beginning all you can do is two 45 min sessions on weekends. Well, that's a start. That's better than nothing. Make it a habit. You may find that you WANT to do more and will find a way to stick it in, even if it's not as much time as you'd like.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome aboard!!!

If you liked the boxing classes you were taking, get a Billy Blanks Tae Bo which is kick boxing. Start slow and work your way up to being able to do all the moves.

I love it and you can get the dvd's at wal-mart for 10 or 12 bucks. Use it over and over and over again!!!

Good Luck to you.
  • dms24
    dms24 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged and if you fall off the wagon, get right back on it again. It's a learning process so just enjoy finding out how strong you really are!! Good luck :smile: