Frustrated at the thought of taking it slow.

Options
Hi guys,

I need some advice on how to stay motivated when losing weight slowly. My past dieting style has been unhealthy & un maintainable but i loved hopping on the scales and seeing 10 kilos gone in 2 weeks. Obviously this is unhealthy and I dont keep the weight off for long. How do you all stay motivated when losing only 1 or 2 kgs a week?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    My approach is: you didn't gain it in a month, you can't lose it in a month. :-) I know that's not very satisfying, but that's reality.That said: you don't need to be miserable while losing it, just reasonable.
  • sylwiasta
    sylwiasta Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    just keep going!!! I am taking it slowly on purpose. So far 3 months and just 14lbs. It is nor a race! Fast losers usually gain it back even quicker! I am with u: slow but steady!
  • MsNP
    MsNP Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    On Friday, I will have been here for a month. I can tell you, I know how you feel. I keep losing a few pounds and then gaining half of it back. A lot of it is water weight, I know, but the scale is really making me mad.
    For right now, I am trying really hard not to care about the weight loss. Sounds silly, even because that is why I am here, but for right now, I am focusing on eating enough and eating foods that are good for me. I am trying to see if I can develop some muscle. That probably won't make me lose weight as quickly as I would like to, especially because muscle weighs more than fat, but it will be better for me in the long run.
    You have to just keep focusing on the future.
    Are you here just to lose the weight? Or do you want to keep it off?
    Are you here for a quick fix? Or do you want a lifestyle change?

Set some realistic goals for yourself.
    There is also a lot of support on here. I have found a lot of helpful people on the forums and have befriended some nice people. Feel free to add me, if you like.
    Good luck with your goals.
  • workingitout2012
    Options
    My approach is: you didn't gain it in a month, you can't lose it in a month. :-) I know that's not very satisfying, but that's reality.That said: you don't need to be miserable while losing it, just reasonable.

I wish that were true for me but because of the way i've dieted in the past i do actually gain it all back in a month lol. Sorry i know where your going with that, it just made me realise how ridiculous it is to lose & regain 26kgs within 3 months, had to have a little laugh at myself!
  • workingitout2012
    Options
    On Friday, I will have been here for a month. I can tell you, I know how you feel. I keep losing a few pounds and then gaining half of it back. A lot of it is water weight, I know, but the scale is really making me mad.
    For right now, I am trying really hard not to care about the weight loss. Sounds silly, even because that is why I am here, but for right now, I am focusing on eating enough and eating foods that are good for me. I am trying to see if I can develop some muscle. That probably won't make me lose weight as quickly as I would like to, especially because muscle weighs more than fat, but it will be better for me in the long run.
    You have to just keep focusing on the future.
    Are you here just to lose the weight? Or do you want to keep it off?
    Are you here for a quick fix? Or do you want a lifestyle change?

Set some realistic goals for yourself.
    There is also a lot of support on here. I have found a lot of helpful people on the forums and have befriended some nice people. Feel free to add me, if you like.
    Good luck with your goals.

All very good points that made me stop and think. Thankyou
    I do tend to be very impatient and my husband is always telling me to stop and smell the roses rather than just constantly "rushing to get through things" maybe your both right.
  • workingitout2012
    Options
    just keep going!!! I am taking it slowly on purpose. So far 3 months and just 14lbs. It is nor a race! Fast losers usually gain it back even quicker! I am with u: slow but steady!

Very true, hopefully this time I can keep it off :)
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Time goes so quickly that before you know it, you're losing the weight and amazed by it.

The more that you lose, the more rewarding it is and the easier it is to stick with it.

Make mini-goals for yourself and reach for them. That's what will keep you going.

When you can see the results and fit into smaller clothes and people notice your weight loss, that will be your motivation and reward.
  • onewithwings
    Options
    Patience is not one of my virtues! I hate the waiting game of losing. What helps me the most is not getting on the scale but once or trice a month. I get bummed when I hop on the scale and there is no progress!
  • workingitout2012
    Options
    Patience is not one of my virtues! I hate the waiting game of losing. What helps me the most is not getting on the scale but once or trice a month. I get bummed when I hop on the scale and there is no progress!

Thats a good idea. I may have to throw out my scales! That way i'll actually have to go to the gym, if only to weigh myself haha
  • simplysassi
    simplysassi Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    It isn't always about what the scale says. I have weeks where the scale says I'm up, but my clothes are loose and I feel good. It is a work in progress. And more importantly, it is a life-style change. Learning to make good food choices 90% of the time and allowing yourself to have those weak moments here and there but not give in to them to the point where you all the good is lost.
  • workingitout2012
    Options
    Time goes so quickly that before you know it, you're losing the weight and amazed by it.

The more that you lose, the more rewarding it is and the easier it is to stick with it.

Make mini-goals for yourself and reach for them. That's what will keep you going.

When you can see the results and fit into smaller clothes and people notice your weight loss, that will be your motivation and reward.

Ok here goes:
    Mini Goal number one - do not weigh myself for a week! hopefully seeing a bigger number at the end of the week than the tiny daily amounts will help.
  • workingitout2012
    Options
    It isn't always about what the scale says. I have weeks where the scale says I'm up, but my clothes are loose and I feel good. It is a work in progress. And more importantly, it is a life-style change. Learning to make good food choices 90% of the time and allowing yourself to have those weak moments here and there but not give in to them to the point where you all the good is lost.

This is something i struggle with, if i eat one "bad" thing i tend to think oh well i've ruined it now i might as well eat the whole world
  • Tall_E
    Tall_E Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I also don't weigh myself very often. I go by how my clothes fit, the changes I feel in my energy level and how easy it feels to move my body. This keeps me from becoming obsessed with the numbers on the scale... The other thing that has helped me take it slow and be patient has been the friends I've made on MFP. They've made the difference in my sticking with the mini-goals I set on the way to meeting my big goals. And the time goes by more quickly when there are people to share the road. I also 'take time to smell the roses' so to speak by appreciating the little improvements I'm making all the time in my lifestyle to create a healthier life so I feel moe of the rewards now. Lastly, I have Fibromyalgia and this illness is strict teacher that says 'go slow or else' so I'm learning from this too that slow and steady is the way to win every race.

Best wishes!