Scared....Almost Pre-diabetic!

Options
UGH!! I'm so nervous and afraid. I've been told by my doctor that I'm super close to being pre-diabetic. If I don't do something now as my age rises my risk quickly increases as well.

Have any of you had success from beating diabetes, or pre-diabetes?

Any help and support from you would be appreciated.

Add me as a friend if you can help me.

Thanks in advance...

Tausha

Replies

• mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    You can do this. This is the reason why I stopped the challenge. The food challenges messed with my sugar levels. I can only have so many carbs, and with the fruits it cut things I wanted and I felt unhappy and on a diet. Where I have been on a lifestyle change for over a year. If you watch your sugar intake you should do well.
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I had my fourth baby 6 months ago. I had gestational diabetes during my third and fourth pregnancies. After giving birth they said my blood glucose was normal but I have been randomly checking at home, more so in the last month. Outof 7 times checking my fasting numbers, 5 of those were over 100. My understanding is that if your fasting BG is over 100 you are considered to be pre-diabetic (another way of getting the diagnosis is to have a glucose tolerance test). I go in on the 25th to have the glucose tolerance test and am preparing myself for being told that I have pre-diabetes. I am curious as to whether or not they typically prescribe meds right away or if they wait to see if you make progress with diet and exercise. I am just really frustrated with the whole thing. I knew that I had a higher risk due to having GD, but thought I would have more time to work on making lifestyle changes. I also thought that I was too young and "not fat enough" but now know that was mistaken thinking. I am almost 37, 5'1" and 149 lbs right now.

Do you have any family history of type 2 diabetes or other risk factors?
  • ReneeJM
    ReneeJM Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Tausha, that is one of the reasons I began this weight loss journey. My blood sugars are now down in the normal range. My husband is diabetic, although very slender. I went through all of His classes and learned that even a 10 pound loss can help. You just need to keep logging faithfully stay at your goal and it will happen. I think it is best to do it slowly so you can stick with it.

You know I've found the challenges were not that helpful to me either because the focus was not always on the things I needed to be doing for my own success. I love the encouragement from friends but I think it is easier without the pressure of the group weigh ins, etc.

You are young. I'm sure you can conquer it!
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I had gestational diabetes... I lost 2 grandparents to the disease. Type 2 can be beaten by diet. If you can cut the carbs. (see a nutritionist not your GP) You can beat it. Humans were not meant to eat processed foods loaded with carbs and artificial ingredients. If you can move to a more natural clean diet you will be surprised with the results!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    You're lucky to be told this when you're not even quite "more" -- and even luckier than you are concerned about it. Even losing 10 lbs can drastically change your numbers...

The biggest culprit are bad carbs.... get rid of white bread, rice, donuts, pancakes, waffles etc.... start cooking with lower glycemic/higher protein grains like quinoa, quinoa flour, millet, amaranth etc...

Increase your protein -- greek yogurt, protein shakes, lean meat like chicken, turkey etc.

I am no longer diabetic but I will eat as though I am for the rest of my life... its pretty simple once you get used to it. Luckily for you there are also about a zillion low carb, low glycemic and diabetic cookbooks.

PS Adding in even a 15 minute walk a day to start will also be a huge help.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Just small changes diet and exercise can make huge differences in prediabetics. Just keep working on losing the weight and try to get 30 min of exercise a day in.
  • teacup8285
    Options
    I was diagnosed with diabetes last year and it became very important for me to get the extra weight off. If you can do it now that will help a lot!. The more weight I lose the better my blood sugars become. I gave up any sugared drinks and drink mostly water, and some crystal light. I try not to have diet soda except occasionally. I eat fresh fruit and veggies a lot and have cut back on meat consumption as well and we are slowly trying to cut out processed foods ( not an easy thing as I have found!). I do have snacks on occasion because I feel like total deprivation leads to more over eating. And start walking. I started at 245 lbs, and could only walk 1/4 milk but slowly built up as I lost more weight. I have lost 69 pounds (just waiting for the 70th to come off any day now =) and walk 4-5 miles 5 days a week and my blood sugars are now normal all the time. ( I do have to take meds as well) If you can do those things now and prevent it it will be the best thing for you. I was a bit shell shocked after I found out, but it did light a fire under me to improve my quality of life and hopefully a very long one as well. All the best to you!
  • celticcateyes
    celticcateyes Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Diet and exercise are my health's best friends!

Last year, my HEMOGLOBIN A1c blood levels were at the high risk level right below diabetic. My mother and grandfather are in the advanced stages of diabetes, and both are very sick.

My mother developed diabetes while in her 20s (my age) so I got really scared. My doc said my 2 enemies are my age and my weight. So, I decided to continue working on my weight, mainly via diet tracking here on MyFitnessPal and exercise (I focused on the Couch to 5k running program).

As I am a university student, I took time to talk to the campus health nutritionist. He recommended trying to do at least 2 days a week vegetarian, and focusing on lean meats and quality food the rest of the time. But you should probably also talk to a doctor and nutritionist about diet.

I've been working on my fitness and even though if feels like slow progress, after losing around 25lbs my doctor says my HEMOGLOBIN A1c blood levels are at normal levels and well below diabetes risk. She even did a little excited cheer for me :)
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Take a deep breath. I have been prediabetic for over 10 years and despite knowing better I did nothing. Started feeling a little off a couple of months ago so took fasting blood sugars for a week. Over 200 every day!! My daughter recommended this sight. Put myself on an 1800 ADA. Went for blood work after 45 days and my CBG was 109 and my HA1C was 6.6!!! Never to late to change and now is the perfect time for you. I feel so much better. Good luck
  • mrscarrey
    mrscarrey Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I truly believe diabetes type 2 is 100% preventable. PLEASE look into low carb ways of eating. I too was prediabetic and now have wonderful blood levels and overall health.

www.dietdoctor.com

www.atkins.com

www.garytaubes.com

http://www.primalbody-primalmind.com/

www.marksdailyapple.com
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    back in november i was prediabetic and had high blood pressure. i'm dark skinned so i was starting to develop those dark skin patches at the back of my neck and under my arms that signal insulin issues. i also couldnt walk up a few steps from the train without feeling like i was going to have a heart attack. my hands, feet and ankles were swelling on a daily basis

luckily i got to my doctor's in time for the diagnoses. it was a HUGE wake up call. i knew i was 80-90 pounds overweight but i still kept eating whatever. getting those diagnoses from my doctor was what i needed to hear though to get my *kitten* together.

i didnt want to take meds so i agreed with my doctor to give a weightloss plan a go for 3 months and then come back and see where i'm at. i was also diagnosed with a gluten allergy which helped a bit in my weight loss efforts since most of my trigger foods are high in gluten.

my first suggestion is to NOT PANIC. dont do something stupid like a fat weight loss quick scheme where you drastically reduce your calories. you dont need to do that. don't start an exercise plan where you need to kill yourself hours a day. you dont need to do that either.

- start making small changes in your diet. less processed foods, more fresh vegetables and fruits. make more of your meals at home. if you dont cook then it's time to learn
    - since 90% of the battle is food, recognize what your food issues are and keep those out of your house .
    - make a weekly menu and take a day to cook the majority of those meals and package them up as necessary.
    - start an exercise plan. if you ont like exercise find something active that you like doing. tennis, walking, bike riding, hiking all these things are just as good as traditional workouts.
    - reduce stress as much as possible

i went to see my doctor last month and i'm happy to say my blood pressure is back down to the lower end of normal and i'm no longer prediabetic. those dark patches on my neck and underarms are also gone.

you can do this. just make the commitment. that way, even on days where you're not motivated you still have that commitment to fall back on. :smile:
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed in 07, I never got the warning call of pre-diabetes. Went to the ER for a possible kidney infection and BAM guess what you have full blown diabetes. Verified by glucose tests a couple weeks later. As of this year though my A1c (crosses fingers etc etc) is back to pre-diabetes levels. You can beat it. You got the warning call.
  • Iamkim73
    Iamkim73 Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Both parents are diabetic.... Was married to a diabetic.....Here are some things I learned:

If you are diagnosed as diabetic, it does not go away... It may be under control... But it's still there.

It is possible even with a perfect diet, ideal weight, and perfect fitness someone can have diabetes. But lowering those risk factors helps keep blood sugar regulated and minimizes the secondary health issues.

Take a nutrition class aimed at diabetics. You will be surprised on how eating the right combinations of foods will help. And that you don't necessarily have to avoid certain foods, including candy.

Excercise and build muscle it will help... That's true for everyone but very important for a diabetic.

Also... Be careful of the term "sugar free". Like most things.... It's not always what it appears to be.

Most importantly if you end up diagnosed find a DR that specializes in diabetes, not saying your normal Dr is not good... But its amazing the difference they make.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that was prediabetic but after losing 30 pounds (about a third of his weight loss goal) his blood sugar has leveled out to where it's controllable with diet rather than drugs. That alone should make you so committed to your health - you CAN do it and you will do it!!
  • Eava57
    Eava57 Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I have also been warned about being pre-diabetic, I was doing well a few months ago and now seem like I am gaining weight b/c the doctor told me I had until April to get my numbers in order...the stress of going to the doctor this month is making me eat more. I am glad I discovered this thread. I appreciate the great ideas!
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I am prediabetic. But it can be beaten. Even diabetes can be beaten! I know people who have overcome it.

My husband was told he was "a metabolic disaster" last year. He is on three meds for his diabetes which he just was diagnosed with last year. He started MFP less than a month ago and his sugars have been great and the doctor is goign to start taking him off meds one at a time, al he had to do was start paying attention and exercising.

Don't worry, just take control.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I'm pre-diabetic and it's also the reason I started MFP. I know it's scary to hear that but it's not too late and you can beat this with diet and exercise. The first and MOST important thing I learned is to never, ever put a carb in your mouth without a protein. If you eat fruit, eat cheese with it. Bread needs to have meat or peanut butter. My carb limit is 30 grams per meal. It seems overwhelming but little changes mean a lot. What helped me was following a clean diet. No refined sugars, whole grains, no chemicals in foods and no flour. It doesn't have to be that strict but it killed my carb cravings. Please add me if you'd like. My diary is open, you can see what a typical meal looks like and I would be happy to answer any questions and offer any support I can give during your journey back to whole health.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    UGH!! I'm so nervous and afraid. I've been told by my doctor that I'm super close to being pre-diabetic. If I don't do something now as my age rises my risk quickly increases as well.

Have any of you had success from beating diabetes, or pre-diabetes?

Any help and support from you would be appreciated.

Add me as a friend if you can help me.

Thanks in advance...

Tausha

Former Type 2 Diabetic here.

Best thing I ever did was to go Paleo. Meat, fats, vegetables and fruit on occasion. No more meds and losing weight effortlessly.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I truly believe diabetes type 2 is 100% preventable. PLEASE look into low carb ways of eating. I too was prediabetic and now have wonderful blood levels and overall health.

www.dietdoctor.com

www.atkins.com

www.garytaubes.com

http://www.primalbody-primalmind.com/

www.marksdailyapple.com

You are right. In 98% of cases, Type 2 Diabetes is a lifestyle disease. The other 2% accounts for those women with PCOS and Diabetes stemming from the hormone imbalance.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    That is exactly what turned me around. Two days before my 54th birthday the dr. said,"You are pre-diabetic." I thought to myself Oh NO WAY is this going to continue. I already had high blood pressure. I am 5'4" and weighed 267.5 Today 8 months and 7 days later I am down around 53 pounds and work out at a gym. I stopped drinking Diet Coke and no longer eat chips. I am careful about protion control. I log except for Christmas and Easter and a few times on vacation when I did not have phone or internet access. While I should be more diligent about the gym I have gone from being completely sedentary to running 5.6 MPH on the treadmill. I only run about 1.5 minutes and walk about 3-4 but I am getting there. My walks use to drop down to 3.2 MPF and now I am able to keep that pace at around 3.6-3.8 with an incline. I have 70-75 pounds to go but I am no longer pre-diabetic, feel amazing, and have gone from a tight muffin-topping 26W jeans to a sliding down 16W jeans or a snug 16 Misses. I wore a dress at Easter that was a perfect 16 Misses. I should mention that 90% of the carbs i eat are whole grains. I still eat out just not as often and I make better choices. Good luck!