what do you guys think of hookah (the legal kind that doesn'

Options
my boyfriend smokes it and it irritates me a bit. i know it's soooo much more better than weed (he smoked that all the time). he's been clean for about 4 months now. i know that i should be happy that he's not smoking something that makes him act stupid, but i'm not too comfortable with hookah either..even if it's just the safe ones with the flavors and stuff that doesn't mess you up.

Replies

• poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I don't believe Mary Jane is a "gateway" drug so I see nothing wrong with it done here and there.....I hope it gets legalized everywhere to help medicinally for sure.
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I smoke it like twice a week. Socially though or with my boyfriend. I love it! I am an ex cigarette smoker and it keeps me from wanting some. I love all the different flavours and I see no problem with it. :D If you have a problem with it you should let him know. I am sure he would understand and maybe cut the habit down a bit? Does he smoke alone? I much prefer it in a group as it is definitely a social thing.

EDIT: smoke shisha, not weed, (although I am partial to some now and again)
  • heymari
    heymari Posts: 36
    Options
    is sisha the one that doesn't mess you up?
  • hailzp
    Options
    Yea shisha is hookah, it is just flavoured tobacco and depending on the type you get it has a lot less chemicals in than cigarettes. It is natural tobacco flavoured with real fruit.
  • Appleness
    Appleness Posts: 38
    Options
    I took a trip about 6 years ago to Egypt and they smoke shisha (or hookah) everywhere. I actually brought some back.
    I smoke it every now and again as a social thing with my boyfriend and our friends. It's not the same as a cigarette and its completely legal. I just love all the flavours! I've never been a smoker and I just don't see smoking a shisha as the same sort of dirty habit.
  • heymari
    Options
    is it bad for you? like does it affect your health or your lungs in any way?
  • hailzp
    Options
    Yea it does, I mean it is smoke after all but less chemicals and if you smoke it socially you smoke less because you share it. If you are smoking everyday then it will effect your lungs etc. They smoke it a lot in Turkey, Egypt, the Middle East etc and they don't have a higher amount of lung cancer/heart problems.
  • heymari
    Options
    everytime my boyfriend smokes it, i always give him the cold shoulder. i know i shouldn't because hookah is better than weed and he has gotten soooo much better these past few months (he was in really deep *kitten* bc of drugs). i don't support him at all with hookah but i guess i should be happy for him that he's not doing drugs anymore and that he's better. should i just fake my feelings and not be irritated when he smokes? ohh and he smokes with friends
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    why dont you just dump him,instead of trying to change him?
  • hailzp
    Options
    Yea, I see no issue with it, you can't even compare it to weed. But if you are faking it then one day the feeling may manifest as resentment. If you have an issue with it let him know.

Just ask yourself whether it is really worth you feeling crap over. It is his body after all and somethings you just have to let go.
  • heymari
    Options
    why dont you just dump him,instead of trying to change him?

we've been together for over 2 years and im in loveeeee:D

and for the next message below the quoted one, yeah i guess. it's not worth being mad at him for. i love him soo much and it is something that i'm gonna have to let go.

thanks guys so much for the info and help :)) much appreciated
  • JoeyTajzai
    JoeyTajzai Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    Okay, the hookah master is here, ironically as I saw you post this I am smoking the hookah myself. Now, although hookah isn't addictive and there's no chemicals it can be worst then cigarettes! It's said that smoking in one session of hookah is like smoking 100 cigarettes, smoke wise. So, if he smokes here and there I don't think you should mind it, but everyday is something else.

Sadly I smoke everyday, my girl friend doesn't mind because it's in my blood(middle eastern). SOOOOOOO to sum it up, let him smoke weed.(unless you dont want him to do anything illegal that can get him in jail)
  • zinok
    zinok Posts: 185
    Options
    Honestly I have no problem with either shisha or weed. Shisha IS bad for you, but few people do it on a daily basis, and it sounds like your boyfriend doesn't.
    My over all opinion is let the guy smoke. It doesn't give people bad breath, create addiction or in any other way affect your relationship. It's his body and he can choose what to do with it. And even though it is bad, it's not like he's going to drop dead from shisha anytime soon, so I don't think you have to worry. I can understand your adversion to weed, as I once was too. That was when I was younger and had a lot of misconceptions about it. After hanging out with a few stoners, I realized it really wasn't as terrible as I thought and people didn't get totally ****ed up off of it. I've tried it since, and it honestly feels like being drunk to me, but with an alertness. Silly, fun. (Just my $0.02!)
    Maybe instead of judging him for it you could try it? They have tabacco-free shisha that is just flavoured smoke, it isn't as bad for you. Who knows, maybe you will enjoy it and you'll have another thing to do with your boyfriend!

Everything in moderation, right?
  • motherbetty
    motherbetty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Weed is illegal and hookah is a carcinogen. Easy answer as I see it. This shouldn't be an either/or situation - it should be none of the above.
  • JoeyTajzai
    Options
    @Zinok

^ You made my post look like ****. lol
  • Carmandicus
    Carmandicus Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Read more books.
  • zinok
    zinok Posts: 185
    Options
    @Zinok

lol does that mean I get to be the hookah master now? :P
  • JoeyTajzai
    Options
    @Zinok

lol does that mean I get to be the hookah master now? :P

Why would you take my title from me =( :cry:
  • tigertown11
    tigertown11 Posts: 310
    Options
    maybe you should ask a medical professional about the health side of smoking hookah vs a cigarette. we all know what weed can do to a person.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Had one back in the 70's. I guess it was the cool thing to do. Used it to smoke pot.

I see all the hookah lounges popping up these days. I guess it's the cool thing to do again. Don't smoke pot anymore. It appears to be the latest attempt to reel in the kids. That's all I hear talking about it.

I'll stick with cigars.