Trouble eating all my calories-suggestions

Options
I am having a difficult time eating all of my carbs and I find myself not counting my exercise cals just so I don't see that I have even more calories to spend.

My question is: Does anyone have any suggestions for healthy snacks that will help me consume the calories that I'm supposed to?

I am trying to limit carbs such as bread or sweets. About the only thing I have treated to myself is sugar free pudding and strawberries and cool whip.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Replies

• Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Trouble eating carbs or trouble eating calories? If carbs east more fruit.....if calories, peanut butter or olive oil etc.
  • kpederslie
    kpederslie Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    When I started, I had the same issue. Now, I try to eat nuts, hummus or low fat cottage cheese if I need to get some calories in. I try to make sure they have SOME nutritional value so I'm not packing in just crap. Protien shakes or fruit smoothies can also pack in some good nutrients, vitamins and calcium.

My favorite after workout snack is whole wheat toast with PB and banana.. SO good.
  • lacensuch
    lacensuch Posts: 36
    Options
    Thanks for the great suggestions!
  • ltupola
    ltupola Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you! I am having trouble taking in all my calories, I like green smoothies, fruit, spinach and fat free milk.... very filling but so good!
  • amibeachcomber
    Options
    Whey protein shakes. You can purchase Whey Protein powder at Walmart or any health food store. I add skim milk, frozen berries and a banana...some ice and a scoop of the powder. Pop all that in the blender and you have a delicious fruit smoothie with lots of fiber and protein and it makes a large amount so you can sip it all morning. Very filling. About 400 calories. :tongue:
  • skyelogan816
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. I've always been a light eater, and now that I'm trying to incorporate a lot more exercise in my schedule I'm having a lot of trouble eating "enough".
  • gordonx4
    gordonx4 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this. I have a very hard time eating all the calories i need in a day. 1 day I went horse back riding with some friends and I burned more calories then I eat that day, so I had to make up twice as many. I ended up with a negative for the day.
  • tammyopolin
    tammyopolin Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one having this problem. I have trouble just hitting my minimum, and trying to make up for my exercise calories seems impossible some days.
  • katiedidd66
    Options
    When I'm trying to add some calories to my day I add pine nuts to my salad and use olive oil & vinegar or fresh lemon juice for my dressing. If I'm eating raw veggies I use hummus or Hidden Valley Ranch dry mix & yogurt for a dip. I spread 2 Tbls. of peanutbutter to a sliced apple. I stir-fry my veggies in olive oil instead of steaming them. I add black beans to my rice or sprinkle chickpeas on my salad. I'll have an ounce of almonds and a cheese stick for a snack. If I'm eating eggs, I'll eat at least one yolk with my egg whites. Hope some of these ideas help.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    this doesn't make sense to me?

If you are low on carbs, then eat more of them. Whatever carbs you want. They all get turned to glucose. If you want to spend 15mins eating a big bowl of brown rice then go for it. If you want to eat some low fat ice cream then do that.
  • Jen16226
    Jen16226 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    YES! This is me too!!!!

I am trying very hard to stay away from processed foods....eating alot of fruits, veggies and lean meats and I too struggle just to hit the 1200 calories WITHOUT the "bonus" workout calories added in.

Someone had mentioned the Whey Protein Shakes on here. Does anyone know which ones are better/tastier?
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I like to gobble nuts. Apparently, it's frowned upon to state such things in polite company. "But they contain good fats and high calories!" I cry in defence. "Get out!" They all shout.

150cals in 25g ie a small handful.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    YES! This is me too!!!!

I am trying very hard to stay away from processed foods....eating alot of fruits, veggies and lean meats and I too struggle just to hit the 1200 calories WITHOUT the "bonus" workout calories added in.

Someone had mentioned the Whey Protein Shakes on here. Does anyone know which ones are better/tastier?

taste is subjective.

Just eat more of what you're currently eating. Easy.
  • Belladonna261
    Options
    Nuts, avacado, hummus, greek yoghurt, wholemeal pasta....
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    ... trouble eating carbs. makes no sense to me haha everything delicious has carbohydrates
  • MelMena
    MelMena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Your meals are very small. Try upping the calories on each meal to help spread out the calories. You are eating the riht things, just not enough. 200-300 calories for lunch and dinner - of course you are going to have a ton of calories left over!
  • siliisobel
    Options
    Im having to same problem not getting enough calories but im reaching my protein and carb goals easily so I cannot make up my calories without going over my protein and carbs for the day. Doea anyone know of any food high in calories with no carbs and protein?