Too much water?

Options
Hello MFP folks! I've slowly been upping my water intake over the last month. I'm finally getting at least 8 and sometimes about 10 or so. I had a friend tell me that you really shouldn't do more than about 14 a day.. has anyone heard of this? I've seen some people on here have 25 a day. And, yes these are 8 oz glasses that I'm referring to. :drinker:

Replies

• MsNP
    MsNP Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have heard that drinking a lot of water, and also going from not a lot of water to quite a bit in one day, can hurt you more than help you. It's hard on your kidneys, or something. I am not an expert. But I think that if you are not a water drink, you shouldn't push yourself to drink a lot on the first day. It's like if you were going to run a race, you wouldn't try to run the whole thing at the fastest pace you can muster, on the first try. You would work your way up to it.

I'm not sure about the maximum amount you should drink is though.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    No. Your body craves water. The only way it would be a problem is if you only drank water and didn't eat anything all day. In that scenario you end up flushing all of the sodium and minerals out of your muscles, leading to some pretty serious issues. HOWEVER, if you're like 99.9% of the rest of us, and actually eat throughout the day, you will be fine, and your body will thank you for it.

Drinking lots of water flushes excess sodium from your body (bye bye water weight gain), gives you healthy skin, keeps your organs healthy, and helps with mental alertness and daily energy. I drink 1+ gallons or more per day, and I know A LOT of others that do the same. It's perfectly normal.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Hello MFP folks! I've slowly been upping my water intake over the last month. I'm finally getting at least 8 and sometimes about 10 or so. I had a friend tell me that you really shouldn't do more than about 14 a day.. has anyone heard of this? I've seen some people on here have 25 a day. And, yes these are 8 oz glasses that I'm referring to. :drinker:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+much+is+drinking+too+much+water?
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    No. Your body craves water. The only way it would be a problem is if you only drank water and didn't eat anything all day. In that scenario you end up flushing all of the sodium and minerals out of your muscles, leading to some pretty serious issues. HOWEVER, if you're like 99.9% of the rest of us, and actually eat throughout the day, you will be fine, and your body will thank you for it.

Drinking lots of water flushes excess sodium from your body (bye bye water weight gain), gives you healthy skin, keeps your organs healthy, and helps with mental alertness and daily energy. I drink 1+ gallons or more per day, and I know A LOT of others that do the same. It's perfectly normal.
    I hate it when he's right. :angry:

Actually, he IS right. Also, it lubricates your joints.
  • BeeSunny
    BeeSunny Posts: 172 Member
    Options

Thank you!!! I drink at least 21-25 cups a day and love it!!! Living in AZ you need to drink water to stay hydrated, not mention working out in this heat!!!
  • monica2434
    monica2434 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hydration is very important. The standard 8 cups a day, may not be enough for some, but may be for others. It can depend on a lot of different factors. However, since it comprises some much of our body, you definitely need to make sure your drinking enough; it help with blood circulation. Also if your eating certain foods...i.e. watermelons, you have to take that into accout as well.

Hope this helps.
  • shan_0517
    shan_0517 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks BeeSunny! I was comparing what my friend said to your 25 glasses I saw one day! I figured it was ok, but wanted to make sure before I "upped" my intake to more :flowerforyou:
  • shan_0517
    shan_0517 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    shockwave.. Really? how very rude! I DID google it and got too much information. I kind of wanted to hear from some people on MFP.. Why do you even respond?