Is it me, or my HRM, or only me pretending?

Options
124»

Replies

• liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    ... I do have to wash my Polar chest strap after every 5 uses because the salt in it from sweating throws off the readings.

The instructions on my Polar say to rinse the band after every use and to remove the transmitter because the presence of moisture causes it to run down.

Yes, mine does too, so I rinse it after every use also. I love that thing.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options

And It's the running burn that has me puzzled. I have very light, fit friends, who on average burn at least 600 cals an hour for running. That burn simply doesn't look right. OP - what sort of speed are you running? My average heart rate has been consistently in the upper 140s right the way through my running experience, and most of my female friends seem to average similar or higher. 120 is more like what I'd expect from a moderate walk, or a light cycle.

meerkat, I have two-three running routines:

long run: once a week I run longer (8-10 km = 5-6 miles) and it takes me around one hour, so I run slow. during that training I have a max pulse of 140 (it is pretty consistent from the begging to the end) and with warming up and cooling down it gave me 120 average.

short interval runs: 500 m of fast running + 2 min of fast walking for cooling down, gives me 150 the highest and again around 120 average.

at the end of the day, it is around 300 cals per hour in both cases.
    I don't think there is anything wrong with your heartrate. Mine is similar depending on how hard I am running. However, the calorie burn is definitely off. A 5-6 mile run is going to burn more than 300 calories. It should be closer to 500 or a bit more.
  • babareeba
    babareeba Posts: 74 Member
    Options

And It's the running burn that has me puzzled. I have very light, fit friends, who on average burn at least 600 cals an hour for running. That burn simply doesn't look right. OP - what sort of speed are you running? My average heart rate has been consistently in the upper 140s right the way through my running experience, and most of my female friends seem to average similar or higher. 120 is more like what I'd expect from a moderate walk, or a light cycle.

meerkat, I have two-three running routines:

long run: once a week I run longer (8-10 km = 5-6 miles) and it takes me around one hour, so I run slow. during that training I have a max pulse of 140 (it is pretty consistent from the begging to the end) and with warming up and cooling down it gave me 120 average.

short interval runs: 500 m of fast running + 2 min of fast walking for cooling down, gives me 150 the highest and again around 120 average.

at the end of the day, it is around 300 cals per hour in both cases.
    I don't think there is anything wrong with your heartrate. Mine is similar depending on how hard I am running. However, the calorie burn is definitely off. A 5-6 mile run is going to burn more than 300 calories. It should be closer to 500 or a bit more.

you've might seen that I was wearing my friend's Polar HRM for yesterday's cardio interval training, and Polar gave me similar total of burned cals, only 450 for 80 minutes of the exercise which was much harder than a stable slow run of 5-6 miles per hour.

i'll check it out with my doctor to see. I just hope that she is not going to tell me to cool down with my exercise routine for some medical reason.