Next Step - Help Me

Options
Hello! So before joining MFP I made certain life changes to help me with self control. I stopped drinking soda and anything else that is not water. I quit eating McDonalds and all those fast foods except for pizza (love affair with pizza can't end and it only cost a dollar).

In addition thanks to the advice I got in my last thread I am slowly getting the hang of not eating after 8PM by jumping,dancing,singing,and 30 day shred (30 day shred is scary, I think that wins in keeping me sane.) But now the next challenge has presented itself. I can't eat healthy.

I am extremely picky and don't eat any vegetables but I eat most fruits. I do not eat fish of any kind and my cooking skills are very limited. Help me find things to eat? What is your favorite meal? Favorite food? Any tips you can share? I'd appreciate it all!

Replies

• cino2684
    cino2684 Posts: 26
    Options
    I'm a very picky eater which means the healthy stuff I do like I eat quite a bit of.

My diet has started consisting of chicken breasts, tuna, green beans, corn, potatoes, salads. I do cheat at least once a week but try to workout so I do work off the calories. I do chocolate protein bars, I'm a girl that needs her chocolate fix but i do it in the form of something sort of healthy. I also do the 100 calorie pack things, those are pretty good.

I do slack on eating fruit! I have currently cut out my love Taco Bell...I go there occasionally but choose Subway instead when eating out. Its healthier and good. One meal at TB is one days calorie consumtion, 1 foot long at Subway is less than half my calories in the day.

There are great websites for finding recipes for low cal meals.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit unclear on the kind of help you want, do you want to try and add veggies to your meals? Because the easiest way would be to purer them into a sauce, add spices according to the taste you want, and pour it over brown rice or whole grain pasta. If you grind up carrots and red peppers, add some tomato paste, oregano, basil, garlic, etc. you can make a great pasta sauce. Throw a good handful of
    raw or frozen spinach into your next fruit smoothie.
  • chichi128
    chichi128 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    i used to be an extremely picky eater as well..still am to a certain point. when i was younger i would basically live off junk food, macaroni, eggs and occasionally some chicken but even that was a stretch. When i got old (teens) i just slowly started to try different things and was surprised to find that i actually liked the things i tried...its all how you cook it or prepare it into your meals. this was also around the time when i became sick of the way i felt about myself and wanted to take charge of how i looked and felt.. my advice to you would be to just try at least one new thing a week or every couple of days. Whether its a new vegetable or new fruit or meat. Try out some salad and add shredded carrots to it or a little sliced green pepper..just to get the taste in there. you dont have to go overboard and eat the whole pepper or whatever it is you are going to try. a small baked potato goes great with a big salad with a little dressing...maybe even add some canned corn to it as well. All it takes is small steps to develop a taste for certain things.

As far as healthy snack go...i would say stick with your fruit!! apples are a great choice and maybe you could add a tbsp of peanut butter with it for some extra protein. i really like the 90 calorie fiber one brownies for my chocolate fixes. they are surprisingly rich for being so little they actually satisfy you off of just one!

i know someone made a comment about adding spinach to a smoothie...sounds scary but actually you cant even taste it because of the sweetness from the fruit! i know my response is crazy long but i just wanted you to know you are not alone in the picky eater category and you can definitely overcome it!! next time you go food shopping just try and look for 2 different things you wouldnt normally eat and just try it out. you never know what you might like/love once you try it!!
  • Rose200
    Rose200 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of the same thing everyday because I'm not big on cooking and like easy meals. I like smoothies in the morning in an to-go cup and I drink it on the way to work. and at work. It's like a milk shake. Fresh strawberries, soy milk, ice and I through in a 35 cal individual yogurt, different flavor every time. I eat a lot of cottage cheese cause it's super filling, high in protein, usually for a snack. However I ate 1.5 cups at lunch today so that was a lot. I buy the bag salad mixes, through in some cherry tomates, walnuts, top with raspberry vingerette. Sometimes a frozen fish fillet. I love chocolate and drink the 60 cal pc light hot chocolates. They now have chocolate yogurt so I might try that in a smoothie.

I really like Mcdonalds too and I try to just get a happy meal, no drink. It's not too crazy high in cals. I like pizza too and I buy the Weight Watchers Smart Ones Pizza. They are about 400 cals. Then I add a ton of mushrooms and a 1/3 cup more shredded cheese. So it's extremely filling and 500 cals. If you like microwave dishes, there are a ton of meals out there.

After 8pm, I can drink up to 3 cups of tea, trying not to snack and that's filling too. 100 cal bags of popcorn are yummy too.

Chocolate protein bars are a great quick grab. Hard boiled eggs with pepper, warm or cold.