Anyone have a simple hysterectomy - side effects?

Options
tolygal
tolygal Posts: 602 Member
I'm looking for anyone who has had a simple hysterectomy done through a vaginal surgical procedure - removing the uterus and cervix. I'm wondering if there are any side effects. Doc made it sound like no big deal since they would leave the ovaries. But everything I read online makes it sound like there are some serious side effects that would be worse than what I'm dealing with now.

I apparently have a prolapsed uterus which explains some pain I've been experiencing during certain 'special' moments for the past couple of years. It's not serious, but it does cause issues that I would very much like to get past. This procedure is said to fix the issue, but I'm worried that it will just bring more problems. So I'm looking for some honest and straight up experience from anyone who's had this done. PM is okay - I know this may not be something people want to discuss in "public" - but I don't know anyone who's done this, so I'm trying to get info any way I can.

Thanks!

Replies

• crickettm
    Options
    i had a partial hysterectomy about 1.5 years ago and i am fine....love no periods too!!!!
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My mom had one when she was 35, leaving her ovaries in there. Her hormones acted normally, but she didn't have to deal with the nasty 2 week periods and spotting in between. I never remember her talking about side effects, except that she still got mild cramps around that time of the month, but it was nothing compared to what she used to go thru.
  • Tracenspace
    Tracenspace Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I had my uterus and cervix removed vaginally last summer. I had a prolapsed uterus and fibroids. I can't tell you how awesome I feel now. I also had PMDD and it has pretty much cured that. I have no side-effect from it. I don't miss my periods at all! I didn't realize how painful and awful they were until they were gone. And my moods were really effected by PMS. I can't think of anything negative about the surgery at all.
  • crickettm
    Options
    My mom had one when she was 35, leaving her ovaries in there. Her hormones acted normally, but she didn't have to deal with the nasty 2 week periods and spotting in between. I never remember her talking about side effects, except that she still got mild cramps around that time of the month, but it was nothing compared to what she used to go thru.

ditto this post!!!
  • stace0308
    stace0308 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    In 2006 I had a partial (removed uterus & one of my ovaries) I have had NO side effects. I feel like it was the best thing ever, my only regret is that I waited to long to have the procedure done.

~Stacey
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    My wife had a hysterectomy several years ago. Had to spend a couple nights at the hospital. I dropped her off early in the morning and went to work. Supposed to be routine. Went to see her with my youngest daughter after work. Sat with her for a couple hours. The second night we visited she wasn't making very good sense, but I thought it was a result of the pain medication. Went home around 6:30. Got a call from the hospital. Went like this.

"Does your wife have a problem with alcohol or medication?"

"No. Is something wrong. Do I need to come down there?"

"Yes, you should."

I gathered my daughter up, Called my sister to meet me at the hospital. By the time I got there, she was in a coma. My daughter was picked up to go stay with my sister, while I stayed at the hospital. My wife was in a coma for 4 days.

Here's why. She likes to drink a lot of water, but she wasn't eating. Because of overlapping shifts the nurses were not putting it together. My wife drank enough water to deplete her body or electrolytes. The hospital could not figure it out right away. I researched it on the internet, contacted her OB/GYN and went from there.
  • breakingthecycle
    breakingthecycle Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting thread. I have been scheduled to have one at the end of the year. Will definitely watch the responses.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I had a laproscopic hysterectomy 4 years ago (removed uterus and cervix). The only side effect I had was some weight gain (can't blame all of it on the hysterectomy, though). I haven't had any issues with horomones at all. I stayed one night in the hospital. So glad I had it done!
  • tolygal
    Options
    My wife had a hysterectomy several years ago. Had to spend a couple nights at the hospital. I dropped her off early in the morning and went to work. Supposed to be routine. Went to see her with my youngest daughter after work. Sat with her for a couple hours. The second night we visited she wasn't making very good sense, but I thought it was a result of the pain medication. Went home around 6:30. Got a call from the hospital. Went like this.

"Does your wife have a problem with alcohol or medication?"

"No. Is something wrong. Do I need to come down there?"

"Yes, you should."

I gathered my daughter up, Called my sister to meet me at the hospital. By the time I got there, she was in a coma. My daughter was picked up to go stay with my sister, while I stayed at the hospital. My wife was in a coma for 4 days.

Here's why. She likes to drink a lot of water, but she wasn't eating. Because of overlapping shifts the nurses were not putting it together. My wife drank enough water to deplete her body or electrolytes. The hospital could not figure it out right away. I researched it on the internet, contacted her OB/GYN and went from there.

OMG!!! How aweful and frightening!!! I assume (hope) she is okay now. I'll remember to eat (generally not a problem).
  • tolygal
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the info. It's sounding like I shouldn't be concerned.

So another question - if the cervix is removed, will there be an issue with vaginal dryness?

Also - someone mentioned sex feeling "different." Anyone else find that?
  • breakingthecycle
    breakingthecycle Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Most of the women I have spoken with have said that EVERYTHING Is better after. Dont quote me on that one though :-)
  • betsy7765
    betsy7765 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I haven't gone thru all the replies but have you gone on a site called hystersisters? it was extremely helpful to be before and right after my surgery. Tons of helpful suggestions from people.
  • MSP222
    MSP222 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy in November and it has taken until now (mid March/beginning of April) to stop being in pain and to start being able to exercise again. I regret leaving my ovary now (the remaining good one) which I did to prevent menopause as Id already had a taste of it with some Zoladex injections and suffered terribly with hot flushes, however the ovary is causing me continual pain. I had endometreosis and large fibroids and am glad to have got rid and not be bleeding but am not completely pain free. My husband has watched me cry daily, gain a stone in weight and feel like Id aged about 30 years with no energy and 4 dogs to walk!!! Our sex life has gone up the swanny basically - one of the main reasons for having the op to try and improve it!! However we keep trying carefully and I hope that all will be good. Just been able to exercise again and seeing the weight come off and my shape coming back and more energy is enough for now but there were times I regretted it. Just be patient - probably something I was lacking and worrying my husband would be different with me. As for sex, when we have done it I have had some pain and bleeding but its lessening but it does feel a bit different in all honesty. not awful, just like theres something missing!!!! I found the hystersisters website just full of conflicting advice and that of my doctors and consultants in all honesty so stopped reading it all and concentrated on how my body felt and what it was telling me. Hope this helps.
  • sphenisciforme
    Options
    I had the partial hysterectomy operation via vagina 12 years ago - I've had no major side effects and no problems with "marital activities". I do have a prolapse, though, which first showed up about 5 years ago, but that hasn't been causing me any problems since losing so much weigh t... apart from when I attempted sit ups a few days ago! Some exercises are forever on the banned list after the op!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I had it when I was 27 (Cervical Cancer). Loved no TOM. I had never had a problem. I'm 56 now.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I had the partial hysterectomy operation via vagina 12 years ago - I've had no major side effects and no problems with "marital activities". I do have a prolapse, though, which first showed up about 5 years ago, but that hasn't been causing me any problems since losing so much weigh t... apart from when I attempted sit ups a few days ago! Some exercises are forever on the banned list after the op!
    Oh, I can sooooo relate!
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I had the partial 6 years ago, because of prolapse. I am now struggling because I knew I shouldn't lift over 25 lbs again, that's all the doctors really said at the time. I started the 30 shred last year and completed about 2 months and lost 30 lbs, no major side effects. Over Christmas I helped my husband remodel my kids rooms and lifted their beds which were WAY too heavy and started having major pain down there again for about 3 weeks. NOW, I am finding out I should not be doing situps and such, and I'm really disheartened. The pain is still there and I can't seem to find a good answer as to what exercises I can do and what I can't. If anyone has some good info on how to deal with Prolapse and what exercises are "safe" please let me know. I would like to start core work, everything I've read is that it helps improve the situation greatly. I wish I'd been doing it for years instead of just finding out about this now. Unfortunately, I've been finding a lot of conflicting information regarding what is good and what's not. *I did schedule a Dr. appt, but it's not for another month.