I'm in a vicious circle

Options
I am in such a rut with my bad eating habits and I don't know how to stop it. When I originally started MFP I weighed 130lbs. I now weigh around 140lbs. My intentions are so good, but somehow I end up pigging out on bad foods / wine. The mornings always start off well and come dinner time I have picked at my daughter's food or something silly and so I think "forget it" and overdo it on the food.

And the exercise - I love exercise but am also inconsistent. I manage around 2 sessions a week at the gym at least but gorging undoes any good work done.

Does anyone have any words of encouragement? A simple diet plan to get me kick started (again)? I'm all for the saying "if you're tired of starting, stop giving up" but I'm finding it hard to apply it. Could really do with a kick up the butt or a helping hand to pull me out of this negative behaviour.

Replies

• 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean...I've found to loose weight I really needed to stick to a basic routine...some say it's boring but if I 'thought' about food I start to nibble and eat and then...ekkkkkkkkk OVER I go!!!

I have oats for breakfast...gets me started well.
    Fruit or cuppuchino for morning tea
    sandwich for lunch - make it salad - so low in calories then
    fruit for afternoon tea
    Whatever for dinner BUT smaller serve

Quit the wine for awhile - EMPTY CALORIES and temptation to eat and nibble!!!

Good luck!!
  • sphinxdust
    sphinxdust Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're doing it alone, and you need discipline. That's where this community comes in, and since that doesn't work for you so far, you have to be the person that disciplines yourself. My biggest inspiration has always been looking in the mirror. Look at the parts you wish to change and see that they are there and won't go away until you stay on top of it. The good news is, it is easy. Working out only 3 times a week for under an hour is enough, combined with eating high-protein low-carb meals is all you need! With the MFP daily calorie breakdown, keeping your diet 40/30/30 or 40/20/40 (proteins/carbs/fats) will ensure results even if you eat under your calorie goal.
    So, eat vegetables, lean meats and fish, and stay away from breads and sugars. It's that simple.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    So many of us have been (or still are) in the mindset of self-sabbotage. We give ourselves permission to have one little treat, usually because we have 'earned' it... then once we have it we have blown the day and might as well let go completely. Saying it out loud does make it seem pretty stupid, but I know I have been guilty of it several times in the past... and have caught myself even in the last couple of days with a house filled with chocolate!

I read (I think on this site) that blowing your healthy eating for a day or a week because of a bad meal is completely irrational, it is like being in an accident and breaking your leg, then thinking 'oh well as long as one is stuffed, I might as well break ther other one while I'm here!' Think of your diet in the same way.

We all have bad times/meals where we cant eat according to plan - life happens and don't torture yourself over that stuff. Remember that even if the weight doesn't come off quickly, it will still happen over time if you do the right things mst of the time.

Personally I have found that logging food BEFORE eating it s a great method. Then instead of eating on instinct, I am making a conscious choice based on the facts in front of me... which is why my iPhone and MFP app never leave my side. Today I decided to have a hot cross bun and a couple of easter eggs with my daughter. I know this is not a healthy choice... but I made it, and I will forgo the potato with dinner or desert as a result. Instead of feeling like a victim of hunger, I feel empowered that I mave made that choice!

I hope that helps a little, just remember that a misjudgement or a mistake is just that - but it is up to you to make the chioces in the moments that follow.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you say you started at 130, with an aim to lose weight? how tall are you? it could be that you are setting your weight loss goal too high which in turn has your calories too low which makes you then eat more as you're hungry all the time?

you need to think WHY you want to lose the weight in the first place... only you can find your motivation to do this! but we can all help!!
  • jdm120
    jdm120 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your supportive words guys. I am going to re-read them when I feel out of control. You're absolutely right - it's a case of being "good" most of the time - small successes will lead to an overall result.

I'm going to try to stop fuelling my body with the cheap rubbish and focus on fuelling myself with protein, complex carbs and veggies. 1200 calories is too low for me. I think I need to refocus and aim for 1500 consistently as opposed to the odd fab day here and there.

Oh - and I'm going to the gym tonight for a kind workout.

Thank you again. Feeling good. :wink:

Jdm120
  • babareeba
    babareeba Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I feel you because I started at 130 aiming to get down to 120.

I have a simple but strict routine: I plan my daily meals ahead. This morning, for example, I decided to bake a chicken for main meal, so I put it in the diary and plan the rest of the meals around this. My diary is almost full for today (here is the morning), so I am aware of what I planned to have and where I have same holes to put something that I really like and it's not too healthy.

I do not want to get to the evening with 100 cals left, if you know what I mean ;-) try that.
  • Mmmporkrinds
    Options
    I read (I think on this site) that blowing your healthy eating for a day or a week because of a bad meal is completely irrational, it is like being in an accident and breaking your leg, then thinking 'oh well as long as one is stuffed, I might as well break ther other one while I'm here!' Think of your diet in the same way.

That's a great analogy - I'll keep that in mind!
  • Arngrim
    Arngrim Posts: 1
    Options
    The only thing that I have found that will curb my snacking habit was a method I learned from my cousin. When I look at a snack or food that I know will break my diet I mentally convert the calories into how far I would have to run to burn it off, suddenly it doesn't seem so appealing to be looking at a two mile jog instead of a snickers bar...
  • jaydubbayu
    jaydubbayu Posts: 456
    Options
    The body mistakes thirst for hunger... When tempted to snack, drink some water. It works for me, and it helps me get to that 8 glasses a day... I rarely get up to 8, but it's better than what I used to drink, ZERO!!
  • jdm120
    Options
    The only thing that I have found that will curb my snacking habit was a method I learned from my cousin. When I look at a snack or food that I know will break my diet I mentally convert the calories into how far I would have to run to burn it off, suddenly it doesn't seem so appealing to be looking at a two mile jog instead of a snickers bar...

Uh...sometimes I'd have to run for days :(
  • jdm120
    Options

That's a great analogy - I'll keep that in mind!

Couldn't agree more!