Help! How to curb cravings after intense workout

Options
Hi all,

I would really appreciate some help with tips on curbing my appetite a couple of hours after working out. I'm watching what I eat but seem to get ravenous.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Replies

• icewindfirex
    Options
    Make sure you have an EASY filling meal afterwards! If you go to the gym, it can be easier to say "oh but I'm so close to *insert food place* and I'm starving..." if I'm going to the gym I try and pack a sandwhich & fruit to eat afterwards so I can avoid this. If I'm at home and doing a workout video, I sometimes cook my meal up THEN workout - it makes you tend to grab the healthy food you've already cooked :)
  • xcrunnergirl13
    xcrunnergirl13 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water (vitamin water zero's my favourite). Rehydrates me, keeps my mouth busy and the fluid fills my stomach.
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    That's your body's way of telling you to eat. You should eat. If this causes your NET calories to go over, you should eat less before the workout.
  • sisdunbar
    sisdunbar Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I found this on the web which is interesting. I'm certainly going to change the way I do things after reading this. Hope this helps, link is on the bottom.

The ideal time to eat after a workout is within 30 minutes to two hours, when your body is ready and waiting to top off its fuel tanks to prepare for your next workout.

Calories. Ideally, try to eat enough calories to equal 50% of the calories you burned during your workout. So if you burn about 600 calories during your workout, try to eat 300 calories afterward.

Carbohydrates. Roughly 60% of the calories you eat at this time should come from carbohydrates.

Protein. While carbs are essential, it’s also important to include some high-quality protein in your post-workout meal or snack.
    Here are some sample food combinations for your post exercise meal:

Bread, a bagel, or an English muffin with cheese or peanut butter
    Dried fruit and nuts
    Cottage cheese with fruit
    Fruit juice with cheese
    Yogurt with fruit
    Veggie omelet with toast or roll
    Chocolate milk
    Cereal with milk
    Eggs and toast
    Turkey, ham, chicken, or roast beef sandwich
    Vegetable stir-fry with chicken, shrimp, edamame or tofu
    Crackers with low fat cheese
    Rice or popcorn cakes with nut butter
    Smoothie (with milk, yogurt, or added protein powder)
    A protein or energy bar
    A protein or energy shake
    Pancakes and eggs
    Any regular meal that contains lean protein, starch, and vegetables

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=1082&page=4
  • goblem
    goblem Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you!