One year MFP Anniversary - 100lbs plus healthier

Options
Elleinnz
Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
Today is my one year anniversary here on MFP – wow – what a year and what a ride it has been!

I wrote this status update for my pals this morning- and I do want to extend the thanks to everyone out in the MFP community.

“Yah - Today is my one year anniversary on MFP - what an amazing year it has been - and one of the main reasons for that is the fabulous people I have met - each and everyone of you is very special to me - and even though I am not always as active here as I would like to be I just needed to tell you all how much you inspire me each and every day - I love you all to bits - and here is to the next 365 days of health, fitness and fabulousness for us all!!”

I am not pals with the rest of you here on MFP – but I have learnt so much from many of you – soaked up the information you shared, taken on board your advice – and been inspired by all your triumphs – and your frustrations, sometimes it helps to know you are not alone in what you are going through, or experiencing!

My actual journey (or cruise as someone called it on the forums the other day) started on 6 September 2010 – but I only found MFP on 11 April 2012 …

So what have I learnt this year?

1) You have to have a “WHY” – The stronger your why – the easier it will be to stick with it day in and day out….

2) Eating 1200 calories or less a day – and then burning 700 to 800 calories is a dumb idea, especially if you have less than 25lbs to get you to a healthy BMI, your body will not appreciate it, and eventually your weight loss will stall…..trust me it is just a matter of time!

Disclaimer - Very obese people can get away with bigger calorie deficits (for a while), personally I have very seldom netted less than a 1000 calories a day, and for the first 12 months I managed a loss of 2lbs a week....until that plateau hit....

3) I have learnt a new vocabulary – words I use all the time now: Determined, Dedicated and Disciplined is at the top of my list.

4) I have also “lost” some words: Can’t, Hate (Like in “I hate vegetables” or “I hate the treadmill”)

5) Running is not something you only do when you are chased – it can actually be fun!

6) Your weight loss might stall, or even plateau. I am so thankful that when that happened I knew what it was – and not to panic – it is my body’s way to stabilise and adjust – and yes – remind me that I need to feed it enough food…..

6a) And tongue firmly planted in my cheek – “After all I need to give my bones time to shrink”

7) There are different options for nutrition – and low fat, low protein, high carb is not the only option, or even in my humble opinion the best way to feed your body.

8) I am a cave woman from way back – give me Paleo, or Primal eating and I do not get hungry – or have cravings – ever! I eat masses of vegetables and salads every day, but can't see myself ever turning vegetarian.

9) The answer to “I am always hungry” – Eat Protein!

10) The answer to “I can’t eat more than I am already eating” - Coconut oil, butter, eggs, avocado, salmon, olives, nuts, nut butters and full fat yogurt, full fat milk is actually good for you, and a great way to increase your calories without having to eat tons more food in a day. Sugar is NOT a good way to increase your daily calories!!

11) Everything in moderation – including moderation is the way to sustain a healthy lifestyle.

12) I have learnt what “clean eating means” – and it has changed the way I feed myself – It is highly unlikely these days that any “pre-packaged” foods make it into my house – it is just as quick to prepare from scratch – if you have the right ingredients, and you have done a bit of preparation in advance.

13) With a couple of hours of planning and preparation on a Sunday night, I can pack my daily lunches to take to work in 10 minutes, and prepare dinner in 15 minutes during the week.

14) There are times when I will pick up a bit of weight – but now I catch it after 2 or 3 kg’s – and deal with it immediately…..in my old life 3 would have become 4 or 5 or 6…..

15) A torn meniscus in my knee (or any other injury) is not an excuse to stop exercising! There are heaps of things you can still do. Since the beginning of the year I increased my upper body strength and am now playing with "boy weights" when I lift. I increased your dumbbell bench press from 26lbs to 38.5lbs dumbbells, and my single arm dumbbell rows from 30lbs to 44lbs.

16) Listen to your orthopaedic surgeon when he tells you to “use common sense” getting back to gym after surgery – apparently it is not normal to be back in the gym 4 days after surgery, or to take up kick boxing 2 weeks after surgery….

17) My idea of “common sense” when it comes to my newfound fitness is not the same is most “normal people”

18) I am much stronger - both mentally and physically than I had ever believed I could be. I love lifting heavy, and my amazing trainer that has been on this cruise with me from day one makes sure that I challenge my boundaries and belief in myself every time I work out.

19) I refuse to make excuses any longer - I find solutions (and again my trainer is a key part of helping me find the best solutions). Being diagnosed with level 4 osteoarthritis in my knees made me realise that as I am getting older my body is not always going to play ball - I can choose to use that as an excuse - or I can find ways to still have an active, fun life....

This past easter weekend I did Extreme Quad Biking up and down a mountain in a forest, and then a half day kayaking trip - at the end of the weekend my shoulders and arms were in more pain than my knees - but I was buzzing on adrenaline!!

20) I do not have a goal weight any longer – I have a goal life – and I am living it every single day – and loving it!

October 2010

Birthday2010-3.jpg

January 2011

DonelleJan2011.jpg

August 2011 (100 lbs healthier :-)

Donelle03.jpg

Replies

• kford12
    kford12 Posts: 112
    Options
    Wow, a fantastic post. Many thanks for sharing - you look amazing and obviously have a great attitude and outlook on life :happy:
  • tinydreams
    Options
    amazing post! well done!
    proud of you!
  • piezoeyjune
    piezoeyjune Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that. :bigsmile:

Congratulations.
  • Erika1962
    Erika1962 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your fabulous weightloss, you look absolutely fantastic! And thank you for the great post! One of the very, very few good ones on this site!:flowerforyou:
  • Danpellizzari
    Options
    Great work. You look great.
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!! Congrats on your success!!!:drinker:
  • kiwilass
    kiwilass Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Elle...you are a star and a great example of a success story. Well done you and congratulations and best wishes for ,your new life. Im sure you will continue to help and inspire others.
    Ruth
  • kirstineu
    kirstineu Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    WOW! I have printed out your post and it is stuck to my office wall!! You are such an inspiration
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    you're amazing!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • npetercmway
    Options
    What an awesome post and full of all those things that we need to remind ourselves daily! What an accomplishment you have made in changing your lifestyle on your "cruise". I am looking forward to saying similar things next year when I reach my goal.
  • ineedthis4me
    Options
    Congratulations! Thank you for all the great information and inspirations!
  • graciemom828
    Options
    You are wonderful. What a testimonial. Many so-called "licensed registered dietitians" should take a lesson from you! I agree with the words regarding "hate" in relation to exercise. It takes a while, but eventually it becomes just a part of your daily routine and you feel SOOOOOOOOOOOO much better. Again, great job! :smile:
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are wonderful for sharing those wonderful words of encouragement. I too have printed them and posted in my kitchen. :)
  • Tatyanne
    Tatyanne Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Tks for this. you are an inspiration

No excuses!!!!! Loved it :D
  • Aryel168
    Aryel168 Posts: 126
    Options
    Truly inspiring- thank you for sharing- you look absolutely amazing! :drinker:
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    You look fabulous and I have to say # 7, 10, and 13 really resonated with me this AM.
  • HBBrown78
    HBBrown78 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Fantastic- Thankyou- and look wonderful, but your attitude makes you glow!
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Very awesome post, informational and inspirational.....you rock lady and lots of people on here will read your story and it will change their lives. Amazing story!
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    Options
    AWESOME!!! And, thanks for the advice!!

For me, it was always wondering what everyone else was doing to lose weight and not listening to ME!! I have now noticed that having too much sugar in my diet is BAD for me. Now, to get to eating mroe veggies!!! :)

Again, AWESOME and you look GREAT!!!!
  • LizFo
    LizFo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Congratulations & wonderful post!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!