Heavy Lifting/Strength Training vs. P90X or Insanity

I know there are a bazillion threads out there about the importance of strength training and heavy lifting, especially for women, and the successes people have had with P90X and Insanity. Here's my question:
I have lost 23 pounds and dropped 2 sizes since my start with MFP in November. I have done 30 Day Shred and have one more week of Ripped in 30 left (though I take 2 weeks to do 1 week of the program). I know that circuit training is not the same as strength training. I'm wondering what my next step should be. (I must admit I have the end of June as a deadline to be presentable in a bikini!) It will be at least 6 weeks before I could *really* start strength training (RIght now I am reading _NROLFW_). Would P90X or Insanity be a good next step for me before I start to lift? Will I continue to see results (i.e. more toned and defined muscles, perhaps even another pants size gone) with these programs, or should I just "suck it up" and do some other, at-home free weights until my schedule allows me to join a gym and start in on a strength training program? I do not have enough time right now to spend hours on the web finding free-weight programs to follow at home.
Thanks!

Replies

• alliebaba27
    alliebaba27 Posts: 4 Member
    I'm glad I read this! I'm just about to go do some Insanity right after finishing this post--I LOVE the program. I've lost maybe 20 lbs since October doing it (I'm on my 3rd go-round of it now) and it's great. I love it because there are no weights at all; you only use your own body. There's a lot of jumping and push-ups and a whole lot of exercises I'd never even thought of before, but they're very effective. You will be very sore for the first week, for sure. But I was just remarking to my husband how glad I was that we have Insanity instead of a gym membership. Way worth it.

You will definitely see more toned and defined muscles, and you may very well lose another pant size.

Let me put it this way: For Christmas I seriously considered buying a subscription to Fitness magazine--but then I read two issues of it from the end of the year, and discovered that all their exercises they recommended, I was already doing through Insanity. So I didn't need to waste my money.
  • bug1114
    bug1114 Posts: 268 Member
    I'm currently doing Insanity and LOVE it, but if you are looking to strength train, beachbody does make another program called Les Mills PUMP. You get the barbell and weights and workout videos in one package. People have great results with it. It's low weight but high reps (up to like 800 in a workout). That's actually going to be the next program that I do. If you want more info about it, send me a message and I'll send you a link to the program.
  • Bump - great question
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    I've done both P90X and Insanity. I lost tons of weight on Insanity, but ended up a bit skinny fat, as I needed to build my muscles! What I would suggest, and what I did prior to NROL4W, was to do P90X classic, and really really focus on the weights, trying to lift as heavy as I could. The only problem with P90X is that it has soo many isolation exercises and takes up a lot of time. NROL has all compound lifts, which works all your muscles at one time, so it is much more efficient, and I've seen more results. Just my 2 cents worth....

And as far as results, I would respectfully disagree with the posted about Les Mills. Low reps, higher weights is most definitely the way to go to build up beautful lean body mass!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Insanity is more cardio based training (high intensity intervals), whereas P90X is a mix of strength training using circuits and some cardio. If your goal is to get into heavy lifting P90X would be a much better program as you can lift heavy in this program whereas Insanity has only body weight exercises and is mainly cardio.
  • vtgirl77
    vtgirl77 Posts: 69
    I love both P90X and Insanity, but if you're short on time ChaLean Extreme is another great alternative (35 minutes on average with a couple of longer ones). Definitely lift heavy/low reps. The dvds offer good guidance, esp if you are new to lifting :)
  • stephr2014
    stephr2014 Posts: 311 Member
    *BUMP*
    Im actually wondering the same thing.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Bump for later
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    I LOVE Insanity and I do it all the time, I'd consider it a cardio only program. I used to do P90X but I find it lacking. All the isolation exercises with dumbbells seems excessive to me, not to mention that it gets extremely boring after a few months.

I recently read NROLFW and 5x5Stronglifts. It seems that you can get better overall strength gains from just focusing on compound lifts like squat, deadlift, bench, row etc. I'd rather do that then a million bicep curls and tricep kickbacks.

Whatever you decide, good luck.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    I only know one person who has done P90X and it really worked well for her. Nicely toned body, six pack etc not big-built like a body builder.

Here's the interesting thing - her core is so weak. Hanging from a pull up bar, she couldn't lift her legs above her hips. I don't have a six pack (just a flat abdomen), but I can do loads of FULL leg raises (feet up to the bar above my head) and I can get inverted and do upside down pull ups. :o) My core is strong from rock climbing and lifting weights (mainly from climbing).

So, I'd suggest lifting weights, focusing on compound exercises (deadlifts, squats, clean and press, bench press etc) as these exercises train multiple muscles at the same time.

And do cardio afterwards or on rest days.
  • NekaLee
    NekaLee Posts: 51
    I'm doing Insanity now and I love it! I had the same concern about weights so I've added Jillian's 30DS because she does a little strength training. I'm a work in progress......
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,805 Member
    Insanity is more cardio based training (high intensity intervals), whereas P90X is a mix of strength training using circuits and some cardio. If your goal is to get into heavy lifting P90X would be a much better program as you can lift heavy in this program whereas Insanity has only body weight exercises and is mainly cardio.

Pretty spot on. From what I understand, P90X has different variations, and one is heavier lifting with 8-10 rep sets. As much as I don't like exercise videos, this will have a lot more carry-over to strength than others.
  • aklitten
    aklitten Posts: 237 Member
    Wow, y'all, thanks so much for the feedback. Any more advice is most appreciated!!
  • mandypooh2103
    mandypooh2103 Posts: 289 Member
    Bump