No weight loss in the first week?!?!?!

Options
Hello everyone, I have been a member for about a week. I started off weighing 176.6. I weighed myself 3 days ago and I was 175.0. This morning is my weigh in date and I was at 176.4. I only lost 2 ounces. I have been working out everyday for about an hour. I do 30 minutes of brisk paced walking and 20 minutes of the 30 DS.

My BMR is 1406. After exercising I normally eat all of those calories which is about 300-400. Is what Im eat affecting this (my diary is view able)? Im not discouraged but I would like to know what I can do to see the weight loss. Thanks!

Replies

• 29candicanes
    29candicanes Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Bumpage..
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    You've only just begun, give it time. Eat up to your calorie goal, exercise, drink lots of water and watch your sodium!
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it - I gained 2lbs in my first 3 weeks but lost 3 inches. Have you taken measurements? Could be you're turning fat into muscle.

It takes a while for your body to adjust and realise yuo're trying to lose weight. Just keep at it and the scales will cooperate eventually :-)

xx
  • miniberger
    miniberger Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I agree. I wouldn't stress. The way my body seems to work, I don't lose anything initially for more than a week at a time and then I'll magically drop 2-3 lbs. You MUST be building muscle. You'll see results.
  • melhayes1115
    melhayes1115 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Give it some time. A lot of people expect results right away and that just doesn't always happen. Keep staying under your calories and working out and you will soon start seeing results.
  • jgerbe2
    jgerbe2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I see you are not tracking your sodium. That could be a culprit in the lack of weight loss. Otherwise just keep working at it. Sometimes I don't lose anything for a couple of weeks and then I will drop 3-4 lbs. Also track your measurements as those numbers tend to give you a better picture of your body! Good Luck on your journey.
  • BarefootBrendan
    Options
    Get rid of the muffins, the mayo, the crispy creme donuts and the chicken wings. Eat more fresh fruit and vegetables, get more exercise and check back in a week.
  • Kris0109
    Kris0109 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    1. It takes time.
    2. Make sure your ins and your outs of calories are correct -- it's really easy to overstate exercise and understate food. Ideally you're weighing your food and measuring your calorie expenditure via a Fitbit or some other device. This is expensive. If this isn't in your budget, find multiple sources for what your burn "should" be and take the smallest one.
    3. Watch your salt intake. If you're like me, you might gain 2 lbs based on one salty meal.
    4. Drink water. Helps with the salt thing. And the hydration thing.
    5. Is it your TOM? That can make me gain 5lbs in a week. Which all disappears the next week, usually with a few friends.
    6. Don't give up!! I've been at this for 14 months and sometimes it's hard! But being down 5 sizes and being able to rock an hour-long Zumba class and still want to exercise MORE afterwards makes it SO SO worth it!
  • dsuppa1997
    Options
    Not losing in the first week is a little odd, you should at least drop a lot of water weight. Like someone else said, sodium might be your problem causing you to retain the water.
    Also another problem is the kind of foods youre eating, Zaxbys, Krispy Cream, WalMart Muffins those are all "empty calories" try eating healthier options. Just because its under your calorie intake doesnt mean you should eat it. Save the sweets for a one day a week treat.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Make sure that your not under-estimating the number of calories you consume and the calories that you burn through exercise.
  • now_picture_this
    now_picture_this Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I would definitely add sodium and sugar to the things that you already track- calories, carbs, fat & protein. Deli meat has a lot of sodium as well as anything from Zaxby's (yum Zaxby's!) Snapple has 26g of sugar alone! Try to take 1 day a week and prepare most of your food at home for the week so that you are not jumping to fast food choices during the week. Jamie Eason from bodybuilding.com has a recipe for some awesome turkey muffins to eat as snacks. I am a firm believer that a calorie is NOT just a calorie. Make your calories count by eating real foods and get rid of all of the pre prepared foods and sweets. Hang in there!
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone read your food diary. I will comment though since I read it. 1) stop eating so many processed foods and start making your own 2) up the veggies and fruit you need at least 5 servings a day 3) up your protein esp if you are working out. If you can't get it all from food than get a protein powder. 4) pick one day to use as your weigh in day, and use that same day every week.
  • 29candicanes
    29candicanes Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I added sodium to my charts and holy cow!!!!! I didnt realize how much sodium I was eating. That is crazy. As of now no more fast food, no more muffins, no more doughnuts. And yes treating myself once a week would be good. I drink about 5-6 glasses of water a day so that helps some.

Gotta stop being lazy and cook more. Im on the right path starting today. I really feel motivated now.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I added sodium to my charts and holy cow!!!!! I didnt realize how much sodium I was eating. That is crazy. As of now no more fast food, no more muffins, no more doughnuts. And yes treating myself once a week would be good. I drink about 5-6 glasses of water a day so that helps some.

Gotta stop being lazy and cook more. Im on the right path starting today. I really feel motivated now.

Up the water too, make sure to get a min of 8 glasses. Add fresh lemon or cucumber to it if it will help you drink it. Also tea is a great way to intake water and stay hydrated. Green tea is great
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Not losing in the first week is a little odd, you should at least drop a lot of water weight. Like someone else said, sodium might be your problem causing you to retain the water.
    Also another problem is the kind of foods youre eating, Zaxbys, Krispy Cream, WalMart Muffins those are all "empty calories" try eating healthier options. Just because its under your calorie intake doesnt mean you should eat it. Save the sweets for a one day a week treat.
    It's not odd. Most people lose some water weight, but that doesn't mean EVERYONE does.