StrongLifts: Bad for obese people?

Options
I'm starting to feel like this StrongLifts routine isn't right for me where I am. 5 sets of 5 reps, increasing 5 pounds for each exercise each time you do it (you do them on alternate days). There are only 5 exercises total. While this could probably help build strength in the full 12 weeks of the application, I don't feel like it's doing enough to burn down the weight and inches.

TO BE FAIR - I haven't had a single solid week without some type of interruption. And this might be the uncomfortable tightness in my hamstrings right now, but part of me wants to quit this program for a slightly more traditional 3x10 program of about 8 exercises. Thoughts?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    You aren't going to start shedding pounds in weight training. In fact, you are likely to gain a lot of water weight at first, and keep some of it while training.

There's a reason these programs are so highly recommended and used for beginners and this style of program has been taught by professional strength trainers for decades.

Why do some currently-useless 3x10 accessory exercise (Like curls, or someshiz) and work your biceps, when you could be doing squats or deadlifts in the same amount of time and working every muscle group in your body?
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to feel like this StrongLifts routine isn't right for me where I am. 5 sets of 5 reps, increasing 5 pounds for each exercise each time you do it (you do them on alternate days). There are only 5 exercises total. While this could probably help build strength in the full 12 weeks of the application, I don't feel like it's doing enough to burn down the weight and inches.

TO BE FAIR - I haven't had a single solid week without some type of interruption. And this might be the uncomfortable tightness in my hamstrings right now, but part of me wants to quit this program for a slightly more traditional 3x10 program of about 8 exercises. Thoughts?

I'm going to have to say you're BSing yourself right now. You can't judge a program if you're not consistent with it. Novice strength training isn't different because someone is obese. Actually, doing compound lifts primarily and high volume like 5x5 will burn more calories than doing isolation exercises. But, If you want to do another program, then so be it, but if you plan on doing 8 different frilly where none of them are compound lifts, then you're cheating yourself.

As far as the hamstring tightness goes, make sure you're doing warm-up sets before each exercise and stretch, and foam roll if you have one, after each workout.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    You do NOT have to do Stronglifts to get results. If you don't like it, don't do it. My husband was a (natural) competitive bodybuilder for 10 years, and he used a split program, working out 5x week, one bodypart at a time. I'm sure StrongLifts is fine and will get results also, but it irritates me when people act like there is only ONE way to get results....it's untrue. Pick something and stick with it, challenge your body and it will change...period.
  • melkorsbane
    melkorsbane Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm at 449 pounds. I want to burn down this weight. The thought behind this was that as I built up some muscle doing weights, that it would help burn off more weight as I did other things. Further, in the beginning when I started with weights (initially I was doing only cardio), my intention was to do just enough weights to retain muscle as cardio can also burn muscle. With this in mind, do you think that I could get good results from continuing forward with StrongLifts?
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options
    You do NOT have to do Stronglifts to get results. If you don't like it, don't do it. My husband was a (natural) competitive bodybuilder for 10 years, and he used a split program, working out 5x week, one bodypart at a time. I'm sure StrongLifts is fine and will get results also, but it irritates me when people act like there is only ONE way to get results....it's untrue. Pick something and stick with it, challenge your body and it will change...period.

Nobody said there's only one way, but a 5x a week bodypart split routine is ridiculous for someone who is a true novice. Bodybuilders use that type of program after they've been training for a while already.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options
    Right now I'm at 449 pounds. I want to burn down this weight. The thought behind this was that as I built up some muscle doing weights, that it would help burn off more weight as I did other things. Further, in the beginning when I started with weights (initially I was doing only cardio), my intention was to do just enough weights to retain muscle as cardio can also burn muscle. With this in mind, do you think that I could get good results from continuing forward with StrongLifts?

How long have you been doing it for? What's been your progression on each lift so far? Are you able to fully squat (being obese as well, I know this can be a challenge)? Have you been consistently losing weight while doing this program? Is your eating plan in check?
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Split programs are focused on more intermediate-advanced lifters.
    Starting Strength/Stronglifts are designed to take full advantage of beginner's gains where muscle groups can benefit from being worked out multiple times per week. It is the most efficient starting point.
    That's why they are so strongly recommended here.
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Diet is for weightloss, lifting weights is so you dont look like crap once you lose all the weight. Dont use weightlifting to lose weight.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Maybe this will help. I've been doing stronglifts and I'm still overweight, not obese any longer, but still a bit heavy.

Stronglifts is 3 days a week. Do cardio the other 3 days and take one day off. I think doing that is the perfect combination of strength training to work on muscle and cardio to burn fat.

When I was heavier I just did cardio. Yes it got the weight off. But I was not happy with the way I looked at all. I was starting to get scrawny. Nobody wants that. That's not what you're after. I only wish I had started strength training sooner.

So it's entirely up to you if you want to continue lifting. But I'd say that if you stuck with it you'd be happier with the results you get.

Best of luck!
  • melkorsbane
    Options
    How long have you been doing it for? What's been your progression on each lift so far? Are you able to fully squat (being obese as well, I know this can be a challenge)? Have you been consistently losing weight while doing this program? Is your eating plan in check?

In truth, only for a week or so. I can do the squats, but after I do them my quads and hamstrings are sore and tight afterwords. Maybe I'm not doing enough stretching. I guess I'm mostly concerned with wasting time. I know that no time doing physical exercise is really wasted, but I guess i'm looking for efficiency too?
  • melkorsbane
    Options
    Maybe this will help. I've been doing stronglifts and I'm still overweight, not obese any longer, but still a bit heavy.

Stronglifts is 3 days a week. Do cardio the other 3 days and take one day off. I think doing that is the perfect combination of strength training to work on muscle and cardio to burn fat.

When I was heavier I just did cardio. Yes it got the weight off. But I was not happy with the way I looked at all. I was starting to get scrawny. Nobody wants that. That's not what you're after. I only wish I had started strength training sooner.

So it's entirely up to you if you want to continue lifting. But I'd say that if you stuck with it you'd be happier with the results you get.

Best of luck!

This sounds like a great idea! I'd considered it before, but I will admit the lazy in me wanted an extra rest day. I need to purge the lazy out of my system.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options

In truth, only for a week or so. I can do the squats, but after I do them my quads and hamstrings are sore and tight afterwords. Maybe I'm not doing enough stretching. I guess I'm mostly concerned with wasting time. I know that no time doing physical exercise is really wasted, but I guess i'm looking for efficiency too?

Compound exercises (multi muscle group exercises) that make up Stronglifts are the essence of efficiency. You work more muscles at once and thus burn more calories than doing isolation exercises.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a great idea! I'd considered it before, but I will admit the lazy in me wanted an extra rest day. I need to purge the lazy out of my system.

Well if you're body is hurting you might need the extra rest day. I have plenty of times. If you need it just take a day off cardio to rest. It's better to do the stronglifts 3 days a week as recommended. Plus you can always take it easy with a walk and count that as cardio.

Most important thing I could tell you is to really concentrate on form in the beginning. No matter how light you have to lift. Squats, deadlifts, these are tricky lifts to do right and a real easy way to hurt yourself if you do them wrong. Watch videos on Youtube to see how they're done, record yourself if you can to see what you're doing wrong.
  • 412HeavyLifter
    412HeavyLifter Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter what program you decide to do, if you aren't consistent NONE of them will work. I'm obese and I have a long way to go before I even see the benefits of lifting heavy but I sure FEEL the benefits. I'm definitely getting stronger and I'm losing inches like crazy. So keep lifting and LIFT HEAVY and get that protein in ya.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options

Well if you're body is hurting you might need the extra rest day. I have plenty of times. If you need it just take a day off cardio to rest. It's better to do the stronglifts 3 days a week as recommended. Plus you can always take it easy with a walk and count that as cardio.

Doing a little bit of walking followed by a stretching routine would be a great idea as well which could help with your muscle tightness.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options

Nobody said there's only one way, but a 5x a week bodypart split routine is ridiculous for someone who is a true novice. Bodybuilders use that type of program after they've been training for a while already.

I never recommended 5x a week split, I was just saying he does not have to do stronglifts. I think Stronglifts is also ridiculous for a novice. Super-low reps, super-high weights, huge compound movements = great way for a lot of people to get injured. The creator of Stronglifts leads you to believe that a split program composed of compound and isolation exercises is ineffective... which is wrong. 3x a week split would be good for a novice...I've only been back in training for 3 months and I do a 5x week split. Not every program is for everyone. I'll leave you guys to your testosterone-filled debate now...sigh.
  • melkorsbane
    Options
    Thanks all for the great feedback :)
  • melkorsbane
    Options
    I never recommended 5x a week split, I was just saying he does not have to do stronglifts. I think Stronglifts is also ridiculous for a novice. Super-low reps, super-high weights, huge compound movements = great way for a lot of people to get injured. The creator of Stronglifts leads you to believe that a split program composed of compound and isolation exercises is ineffective... which is wrong. 3x a week split would be good for a novice...I've only been back in training for 3 months and I do a 5x week split. Not every program is for everyone. I'll leave you guys to your testosterone-filled debate now...sigh.

FWIW - your advice was appreciated. StrongLifts appeals to me because it's simple, maybe not in execution, but there's not a lot of difficulty there. If you think something would be more efficient for me in maintaining muscle as weight is lost, please share it. Thanks!
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options

How are compound lifts a great way to get injured? Also, you clearly don't know much about these types of programs. You start pretty low (in fact Stronglifts recommends starting with just the bar). Yes you add weight each workout, but that's only if you complete the weight from the previous workout with proper form.
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    The weight your at now you need to watch your diet the most. Need to drink lots of water and get off the sugar and dependence on high fat foods that are bad for you. Start with walking and build up to using a eliptical machine. I suggest getting a body media and really be honest with calories in versuses calories out. Dude alot of us have been there. You will see huge results if you can get your diet in control. I remember when I started i ate 5 times a day. Portion control, water and getting mentally adapted was a huge start. The weight will come off if your honest. Keep on moving and congrats on taking that first step.