Shin Splints..

Options
Anyone else get them? And how do we prevent and treat them. cause they really suck!

Replies

• volleypc
    volleypc Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have had them. I think having the wrong shoes or worn out shoes are usually the cause. I have high arches and until I realized I had to have shoes with extra arch support I would suffer with them. I have not had them since.
  • jabflaherty
    Options
    Shoes totally play a roll. Get fitted at a running store. They will scan your feet, watch you walk ect. I have flat feet and need arch support. Shin splints also come from over use or too much too soon. The pounding of running puts strain on the shins (actually three areas in the lower legs) and connective tissue. Some runners will tell you to push through them but this could lead to stress fractures which will halt your progress with terrible pain!! Make sure you rest in between days, don't increase your miles each week more than 10%. I find ice after the run helps to reduce the swelling of the tissue. Stretching is key. I have been told that it takes about three months to get beyond the time when shin splints are common, which is because that is how long it takes to increase the strength of the muscles and tissue to support the area and tolerate the impact of running. I am on week 7 day 2 of couch to 5k and have a 5k in three weeks. I battle shin splints, they suck but I can promise they do get better if you take the proper steps to mitigate them! Good luck! And no matter how slow you are going, you're lapping people on the couch!!
  • Kris1997
    Kris1997 Posts: 241
    Options
    I do not currently exercise. In the past I use to walk often but every time my shins hurt SOOO bad I stopped. If I can prevent the shin splints I would start walking again. Thanks for the replies.
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I've found that my shin splints have decreased a lot over time as I've walked (and ran) more and more. When they did happen, I would slow down until they went away. Then I would pick up the pace again.

I've heard that another way to ease them when you are out exercising is to shorten your stride. I have only experimented with this a little bit but it does seem to help.
  • Kris1997
    Options
    What kind of shoes do you guys recommend?
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Shoes are the number 1 cause for shin splints. Number 2? Hitting with your heels. If you are a heel walker, this is probably your issue, since I see you don't exercise a lot. Try landing further forward on your feet. Yes, it will feel really funny doing it at first. But this should help prevent the shin splints. Ever since I've started working on my stride, my shin splints have gone away. You may want to look into the books by Danny Dreyer. He wrote Chi Running (which I have), but I think he's now got Chi Walking too. It's done wonders for me!
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I had shin splints for the first time ever last year when I started running, I changed my shoes (had them fitted) and I started doing better stretches after I finished a run. I occasionally will get the 'feeling' a shin splint is beginning, and I will ease up and continue to stretch well. I stand on teh edge of a curb with my toes and gently lower and raise my heels and this has proven to be effective, whether or not it really works or is an official type stretch I couldn't tell you.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chrissy10taylor
    Options
    bump
  • ledesirdetre
    Options
    I get terrible shin splints, I always have, even though I was an avid soccer player and dancer and now just simply work out and am on my feet all day. I agree with everyone else, shoes are the key! The only shoes that have helped me with this in terms are running are Nike Free
    http://nikerunning.nike.com/nikeos/p/nikeplus/en_US/products/free_pdp2?pid=384354

and if you're on your feet all day like I am (I'm a waitress) make sure you have good support! I get my work shoes from Shoes for Crews and they're awesome.
    Also, proper stretching, vitamins, and bananas! So good for you.
  • swood0114
    swood0114 Posts: 43
    Options
    I can definitely help!

I struggled with them all through middle school, high school, and then into the beginning of college. However I finally learned how to cure them and I haven't gotten them since!

Get a pilates resistance band.. the flat ones are the easiest to control for this exercise. It doesn't need to be a high resistance.
    1. Sit down with one leg stretched out in front of you and place the middle of the band under the ball of your foot.
    2. Stretch your leg out with your toe pointing up, holding both ends of the band
    3. Keeping your leg and ankle stationary, push your toe forward against the resistance of the band until the bottom of your your foot is parallel to the floor and then slowly allow your forefoot to come back up. Do maybe 10-15 reps. You should feel this in your shin.
    4. Repeat this just once or twice a day for a week or two and I PROMISE this will work, it cured mine!

Can you visualize those instructions? If not I can try to clarify.
  • maryduggins
    maryduggins Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I started running this year and I got them BAD. What gave them to me was my crappy sneakers. I would seriously recommend getting a good pair of tennis shoes. I have Asics (I have the GT-2160), but Sauconys are really good, too. Get something with a lot of cushion(:

I really love my Asics(: I have to use an insole (I don't know what kind I have :/) but they feel great! :happy:

Aside from the normal stretches, here's the two that I do:

1. Stand on a ledge (like a stair) on the balls of your feet with your heels hanging off. Hold that for 60 seconds. Then, bend your knees slightly and hold it for another 60 seconds.

2. Sit down and put one foot straight out in front of you. Take a towel and put it on the ball of your foot. Hold the ends of the towel with your hands and pull back (towards yourself), while pushing your foot forward (away from yourself). Move your toes/foot around while doing it, don't just keep your foot in one position.

I feel great after I go running now... no more shin splints!!! (:

Ice them down after a run, that helps too for the time being.

I hope these help!!! :wink: :flowerforyou:
  • _kimberly
    _kimberly Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    when I first started running, I use to get them all the time... I was building my mileage too fast. I found, that in the beginning, you have to build your base slowly. once you have a decent base, it is easier to increase mileage... well, for me anyway. I hope you feel better soon. shin splints suck! ;)
  • lisalis626
    Options
    Good luck! And no matter how slow you are going, you're lapping people on the couch!!

I love this :) Very true, I'm slowing becoming a runner and constantly have to remind myself that I need to build my endurance before I can build my speed. I'm currently battling shin splints. I went to a running store and was fitted -- bought a pair of Brooks. I love them! I highly recommend going to a running store to get proper shoes if you haven't done so already. Your feet will thank you (and so will your shins).
  • Kris1997
    Options
    I can definitely help!

I struggled with them all through middle school, high school, and then into the beginning of college. However I finally learned how to cure them and I haven't gotten them since!

Get a pilates resistance band.. the flat ones are the easiest to control for this exercise. It doesn't need to be a high resistance.
    1. Sit down with one leg stretched out in front of you and place the middle of the band under the ball of your foot.
    2. Stretch your leg out with your toe pointing up, holding both ends of the band
    3. Keeping your leg and ankle stationary, push your toe forward against the resistance of the band until the bottom of your your foot is parallel to the floor and then slowly allow your forefoot to come back up. Do maybe 10-15 reps. You should feel this in your shin.
    4. Repeat this just once or twice a day for a week or two and I PROMISE this will work, it cured mine!

Can you visualize those instructions? If not I can try to clarify.

I think i understand your instructions. I will have to try this. I use to hate gym class and argue with the teacher in High School because of shin splints. lol
  • talaysia3
    talaysia3 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My physical therapist has me walking on my heels and walking on my toes. It helps stretch and strengthen your muscles to prevent shin splits.
  • brogersnhod
    brogersnhod Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I started running two years ago with regular cross country shoes and ended up with really bad shin splints. Last year I bought a pair of the Vibram five finger shoes, the barefoot running shoes. The whole idea behind these shoes is that you run with out any heel impacts. This in turn causes less impact and pressure on your joints and bones which I can stand by. I have been running in these shoes since I bought them and have not had shin splints since. Take warning with these shoes to start out very slow, they will push your ankle and foot muscles to a much higher level. I was told that there are some muscles in my feet that I have not used in years from wearing regular shoes that will start to be used again with these shoes so take it slow and work up to longer distances. That and your lower calf muscles are really going to hate you at first. But in the end it makes your lower legs very strong and best part no more shin splints. If anyone else has a pair of barefoot shoes reply back with your stories about your likes and dislikes I am curious to see what other people think.
  • Kris1997
    Options
    Guy I work with has a pair of the "skeletor" shoes, he loves them. javascript:add_smiley('happy','post_body')
  • ambrwaves27
    ambrwaves27 Posts: 206
    Options
    Shoes totally play a roll. Get fitted at a running store. They will scan your feet, watch you walk ect. I have flat feet and need arch support. Shin splints also come from over use or too much too soon. The pounding of running puts strain on the shins (actually three areas in the lower legs) and connective tissue. Some runners will tell you to push through them but this could lead to stress fractures which will halt your progress with terrible pain!! Make sure you rest in between days, don't increase your miles each week more than 10%. I find ice after the run helps to reduce the swelling of the tissue. Stretching is key. I have been told that it takes about three months to get beyond the time when shin splints are common, which is because that is how long it takes to increase the strength of the muscles and tissue to support the area and tolerate the impact of running. I am on week 7 day 2 of couch to 5k and have a 5k in three weeks. I battle shin splints, they suck but I can promise they do get better if you take the proper steps to mitigate them! Good luck! And no matter how slow you are going, you're lapping people on the couch!!

"this" Alternating low impact like arc trainers into your routine helps too.