Nutritionist?

Options
Has anyone gone to a nutritionist before? How do you go about finding one? How do you make sure they aren't a freaking idiot? I have a feeling there are a lot of quacks and people that think the food pyramid is the way to go. I might be interested in getting some good nutrition help from a professional if they are smart and were on the same page for goals. Any advice?

Replies

• xNJAx
    xNJAx Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I've just been referred to one by my GP so it might be worth asking yours. I asked what they tend to do and he said they usually deal with people who have eating problems, food-related illnesses etc (I'm going for issues with food intolerances) but that they also do 'one-stop-shop' type things for people who just want some general advice or help. :)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I have friends who are nutritionists... I would select a nutritionist who has a recent degree, or at least some indication that they've had higher education within the past five years. Keeping your training up to date means you believe in modern science :)
  • ladyj1957
    ladyj1957 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Nutritionalists can be a gereat help, providing you get the rigjht one for you. They will be your motivator as well as guide you to the proper foods to eat and when.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I was referred by my family doctor, and when I finished listening to her, I thought, "What a quack!" BUT, since my sister had been diagnosed with adult-onset diabetes (which runs in our family) about three months previously, I decided to take her advice to heart. In the course of 15 months, I lost 70 pounds, most of which I kept off. A lot of people thought I was too thin at my lowest, and I've gained about 15 pounds back (and am now losing and gaining the same five pounds over and over and over......)

I'd ask your family doctor for a referral. The one I met with worked at a local hospital, so my insurance covered the cost.
    Kaye
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I have friends who are nutritionists... I would select a nutritionist who has a recent degree, or at least some indication that they've had higher education within the past five years. Keeping your training up to date means you believe in modern science :)

I agree with this. Depending on where you live, nutritionistist have to recertify ever few years. I know that is true in PA where I live. That doesn't guarantee competence but at least you know they got some current education and had to test out. I've have some good experience with nutritionists and some not so. I worked with one who was refered by my Osteopathic Physician and she was very kowledgeable and not confined by "conventional wisdom" in her methods. I've had exposure to others that were. A lot depends on the individual and how innovative the school they went to was. Many nutrition programs are rooted in "conventional wisdom" like the USDA food pyramid.