ADVICE NEEDED!! Lifting & Cycling

Options
Ok all I need advice on 2 things

1. Lifting - I started doing the Jamie Eason LiveFit on Monday, only problem is I am having to do it from home so only have my dumbbells. Some of the lifts require other equipment is there an alternative way I can do these moves? or is there another at home programme somebody can recommend? At present my heaviest weight is ...... 5lbs (I am a weakling in my upper body, but I do plan on moving up weights once I am ready and can buy some heavier weights, bear in mind also that a month ago I could hardly lift the 5lb weight in a bicep curl about 6 times before stopping so I am progressing lol)

2. Cycling - I am planning on starting to do some cycling a few times a week. I have weight to lose so want to incorperate lifting and cardio. I will be cycling as I have dodgy knees and achillis tendinitis (sp) that gets flared up when running!

Any constructive advice is welcome :)

Jen x

Replies

• Jenjaz1910
    Jenjaz1910 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    BUMP :)
  • Rboch
    Rboch Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with that program or which exercises you would need to modify but I'm sure you would be able to find ways to do them with your dumbbells and eventually add weight in small increments (when you purchase heavier weights). If you're trying to improve/work on your lifting, the P90 (Power 90) workout program is geared more towards beginners, it alternates between a 'Sculpt' (strength training day) and a 'Sweat' (cardio day) for 6 days a week. You could replace the cardio video with your cycling and do the strength training on alternate days and then have your rest days.

Cycling is great cardio, I do a spin class twice a week and its pretty intense. Once you get comfortable cycling (if doing it at the gym) play around with the resistance and do some interval work. Its a great workout, your thighs and buns will feel it!
  • Jenjaz1910
    Options
    Thanks :) me and my friend were looking at going to a spinning class this week or next! Never done spinning but it's looks great :) x
  • Rboch
    Rboch Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Neither had I when I started. It is great! I found it hard at first but you get better over time and you'll notice it in your legs. Make sure your diet and nutrition are up to par as well, I try to make sure I eat enough/really well on days that I have spinning after work. Makes a big difference energy wise.
  • Jenjaz1910
    Options
    I used to do a lot of running as a teenager and always had strong legs, but need to tone them now!! Eating wise I'm making sure I NET my BMR so should be ok in that department lol x