Advice and Help needed

Options
I have only been dieting for 6 weeks, the last 2 I have not lost any weight. I have had 2 cheat days, but I thought i was doing good. I have been working out extremely hard, burning about 1000 calories a day and eating about 1300-1500 cals. I know I do not eat perfect, but I want to eat in a way that I know I can maintain for the rest of my life, so if anyone can help me or give advice that would be great. Oh my workouts are mostly cardio, hardly ever do weights. I have been doing zumba most of the time. Should I change my workout routines or eat only 1200 cals? What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• Missi3601
    Missi3601 Posts: 264
    Options
    switch up your workouts.... Once your body is used to it, you gotta shock it with something else. Good Luck Girl!
  • willyzification
    willyzification Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    From what I can read your burning 1000 calories but your only eating 1300-1500 calories? I dont like those numbers very much.
    1.First tip (and this may sound bad) EAT MORE. The saying eat more to lose more is true, as I will say below what makes you lose fat and burn calories are your muscles. To do this they need to EXIST and FUNCTION properly which means you need to eat more to keep them happy (no low carb shinanigans unless you are sitting on a couch all day and not working out (I hope not))

2. DO WEIGHTS (no kidding):
    Do you know how your body burns calories? What makes them go bye bye? The calorie burning furnace that is inside you is your MUSCLES! Obviously the extent of its effectiveness can be questioned as (generally) a woman doesnt gain as much muscle as a man, but the concept is still the same nonetheless. Your week should consist of at least 3 days weights and 2 days HIITS (for fat loss).

3. DO HIITS (high intensity interval training)
    HIITS generally last from 25-40 min TOPS so isnt time consuming, yet they are more effective than 1.5 hours on a treadmill. Within the first 5-10 of a HIITS workout you are sweating profusely, panting and out of breath. (This is the point where all that fatty badness just melts away)
  • NoMoreJellyRolls
    Options
    From what I can read your burning 1000 calories but your only eating 1300-1500 calories? I dont like those numbers very much.
    1.First tip (and this may sound bad) EAT MORE. The saying eat more to lose more is true, as I will say below what makes you lose fat and burn calories are your muscles. To do this they need to EXIST and FUNCTION properly which means you need to eat more to keep them happy (no low carb shinanigans unless you are sitting on a couch all day and not working out (I hope not))

Do you know how your body burns calories? What makes them go bye bye? The calorie burning furnace that is inside you is your MUSCLES! Obviously the extent of its effectiveness can be questioned as (generally) a woman doesnt gain as much muscle as a man, but the concept is still the same nonetheless. Your week should consist of at least 3 days weights and 2 days HIITS (for fat loss).

HIITS generally last from 25-40 min TOPS so isnt time consuming, yet they are more effective than 1.5 hours on a treadmill. Within the first 5-10 of a HIITS workout you are sweating profusely, panting and out of breath. (This is the point where all that fatty badness just melts away)

I completely agree here! your not losing weight because your depriving your body of the fuel it needs to function. Your not losing the weight because your body is holding on to all the foods it can to keep moving. If you hit the gym hard and burn 1000 a day, plus what you burn resting and doing daily activites, you should atleast be eating 1800+ calories. Im no DR or R.D but from my weight loss experience (down 75lbs before this site) the less I ate and the more I exercised the more weight I retained.

Goodluck
  • willyzification
    Options

I completely agree here! your not losing weight because your depriving your body of the fuel it needs to function. Your not losing the weight because your body is holding on to all the foods it can to keep moving. If you hit the gym hard and burn 1000 a day, plus what you burn resting and doing daily activites, you should atleast be eating 1800+ calories. Im no DR or R.D but from my weight loss experience (down 75lbs before this site) the less I ate and the more I exercised the more weight I retained.

Goodluck

Nice progress there Judgebunny (haha nice name)! I eat 2500 calories a day, and I workout 6 days a week, in 4 day cycles (so 3 weights 1 HIITS, EG: day 1 weights, day 2 weights, day 3 weights, day4 hiits, day 1 weights etc) This may seem like alot, but it really aint considering I only spend about 45 min on weight days working out and only 25 min on HIITS dayy. That is nothing compared to how many hours other people spend at a gym on treadmills and all that stuff to lose weight.

Often I look at the people on the treadmills at the gym and shake my head, (I am not ridiculing them or anything like that, I just feel bad that they dont understand how the body works and what the body needs) they are on there day in and out sweating yet seeing very little gains (losses) whilst im in, 45 min later im out and im doing fantastic.
  • amandabateman411
    Options
    Ok so i will try eating almost all my exercise calories back and use weights alot more and see if i get some progress. Thank you!
  • willyzification
    Options
    Dont forget to eat carbs, and its not really about what your doing ( well it is, but..) but the INTENSITY. If your at the gym doing some lunges with dumbbells every 5 min your not getting anywhere. Keep break times low, measure them!
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Ok so i will try eating almost all my exercise calories back and use weights alot more and see if i get some progress. Thank you!
    Do you have a heart rate monitor? How do you know how many cals your burning? And how long are you exercising to burn 1000 calories? What are you doing?
  • alanjenkins
    Options
    have to agree, HIIT. Try using a HRM to monitor your cardio sessions.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough of your exercise calories back.
  • Pifflesmom
    Pifflesmom Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm one of the poor slobs on the treadmill that you're talking about - however, due to physical limitations, walking is about all I can do at this time. So, please don't presume that people don't know what they're doing - some of us are doing the best we can.

[/quote]
    QUOTE: Often I look at the people on the treadmills at the gym and shake my head, (I am not ridiculing them or anything like that, I just feel bad that they dont understand how the body works and what the body needs) they are on there day in and out sweating yet seeing very little gains (losses) whilst im in, 45 min later im out and im doing fantastic.
    [/quote]
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Go here http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/ find your body fat % then go here http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ and find out how many calories you should be eating for your activity level. Set MFP to the amount they recommend and eat more. For the amount of working out you are doing you really need to eat more.
  • viviennemayer
    Options
    To make sure I was changing my lifestyle and eating healthier I started by adding the good raw veggies and fruits first then went to a nutrtionist to help with the rest of the changing. It's so hard to get started and see the shedding but stick to it, stay consistent with the workouts and when you hit a plateau, change something up in your routine. Adding or taking something away for a week or two seems to help me stay on the shedding. Hope this helps. Coming from a queen of cheats on the bad eating. :)
  • willyzification
    Options
    I guess I'm one of the poor slobs on the treadmill that you're talking about - however, due to physical limitations, walking is about all I can do at this time. So, please don't presume that people don't know what they're doing - some of us are doing the best we can.
    QUOTE: Often I look at the people on the treadmills at the gym and shake my head, (I am not ridiculing them or anything like that, I just feel bad that they dont understand how the body works and what the body needs) they are on there day in and out sweating yet seeing very little gains (losses) whilst im in, 45 min later im out and im doing fantastic.
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

Can you do jumping jacks? Can you do air jacks? how about a pushup but on your knees? or a crunch? jumping ropes? even a half burpee or mountain climbers? jump on the spot with your arms above your head? Can you lift a gallon of water above your head? Can you raise your legs up to stretch your calves? Can you lie down on your back and pick up a gallon of water and lift it? Even without the water, can you lift a TOWEL above your head? Have you said yes to any of the above? If you have then you can do weights or EVEN BODYWEIGHT exercises and HIITS. Unless you are severely disadvantaged eg: broken back/ other injuries, these exercises are DESIGNED to be SIMPLE and DOABLE.

I'm not assuming anything in that doing weights and HIITS (at least the basic level HIITS) can be done by anyone on any fitness level no matter if you weigh 40 kg or if you weight 150 kg. I have seen people in wheelchairs manage to do weight training and HIITS even with their PHYSICAL limitations. I have seen people who weigh over 140kg and still do weights and HIITS and every week I see visible results in their losses. These kind of people inspire me to be better, as they have such a disadvantage and yet they make the best with what they have. It is not my money to spend but as you say, if walking is all these people can do, then why pay hard earned money to walk at a gym when you can do it around your house? Just saying.
  • eljulia
    eljulia Posts: 40
    Options
    [/quote]

Can you do jumping jacks? Can you do air jacks? how about a pushup but on your knees? or a crunch? jumping ropes? even a half burpee or mountain climbers? jump on the spot with your arms above your head? Can you lift a gallon of water above your head? Can you raise your legs up to stretch your calves? Can you lie down on your back and pick up a gallon of water and lift it? Even without the water, can you lift a TOWEL above your head? Have you said yes to any of the above? If you have then you can do weights or EVEN BODYWEIGHT exercises and HIITS. Unless you are severely disadvantaged eg: broken back/ other injuries, these exercises are DESIGNED to be SIMPLE and DOABLE.

I'm not assuming anything in that doing weights and HIITS (at least the basic level HIITS) can be done by anyone on any fitness level no matter if you weigh 40 kg or if you weight 150 kg. I have seen people in wheelchairs manage to do weight training and HIITS even with their PHYSICAL limitations. I have seen people who weigh over 140kg and still do weights and HIITS and every week I see visible results in their losses. These kind of people inspire me to be better, as they have such a disadvantage and yet they make the best with what they have. It is not my money to spend but as you say, if walking is all these people can do, then why pay hard earned money to walk at a gym when you can do it around your house? Just saying.
    [/quote]

UM.... PHYSICAL LIMITATIONS doesn't always mean wheelchairs and missing limbs. Sometimes it means something like what i am dealing with, an "invisible limitation." Something that means i can't do as much as other people as well. My condition causes early muscle fatigue (which means i can do far fewer reps of exercises) and delayed pain that can last for many more days than a "normal" person. It also involves occasional flare-ups that mean a high pain level (like 7 on a 1 to 10 scale where 10 means "shoot me with an elephant tranquilizer dart.") And just on a day to day basis there is pain in my whole body. So it's a different sort of animal to deal with than a regular person exercising deals with.

I THINK PERHAPS you just aren't familiar with what some other people deal with physically, and while your ideas are great for you and many other people you may not understand what everyone on a treadmill is dealing with. And i have a trainer, which everyone can't afford i know, but the treadmill is something she has me use along with what she teaches me.

I APPRECIATE your enthusiasm, it's great :-) Just realize you don't know what's going on with all of us, and temper your thoughts and words, okay? Learn from others rather than dismissing them because you don't know the whole story. That's just good in life in general.
  • willyzification
    Options

[/quote]

[/quote]
    UM.... PHYSICAL LIMITATIONS doesn't always mean wheelchairs and missing limbs. Sometimes it means something like what i am dealing with, an "invisible limitation." Something that means i can't do as much as other people as well. My condition causes early muscle fatigue (which means i can do far fewer reps of exercises) and delayed pain that can last for many more days than a "normal" person. It also involves occasional flare-ups that mean a high pain level (like 7 on a 1 to 10 scale where 10 means "shoot me with an elephant tranquilizer dart.") And just on a day to day basis there is pain in my whole body. So it's a different sort of animal to deal with than a regular person exercising deals with.

I THINK PERHAPS you just aren't familiar with what some other people deal with physically, and while your ideas are great for you and many other people you may not understand what everyone on a treadmill is dealing with. And i have a trainer, which everyone can't afford i know, but the treadmill is something she has me use along with what she teaches me.

I APPRECIATE your enthusiasm, it's great :-) Just realize you don't know what's going on with all of us, and temper your thoughts and words, okay? Learn from others rather than dismissing them because you don't know the whole story. That's just good in life in general.
    [/quote]

^ This I can understand. And yes I get that there are things I dont know about people on those treadmills, there could be an underlying reason why they are doing what they do. I'm just saying statistically the majority of people do not know what they are doing and thus I feel "bad" for them in that they could concentrate their energy into a more effective method of weight loss.

I didnt mean any disrespect or any negative feelings in saying what I said earlier, but this woman " Pifflesmom" irks me by twisting my words and good intentions and spitting them out as venom. "I guess I'm one of the poor slobs on the treadmill that you're talking about "
    When did I exactly call people who are on the treadmills poor slobs or even hint that my views towards them were in this direction? I said I felt geneuinely bad for them, NOT because they are FAT, NOT because they are on treadmills, NOT because they have physical problems but rather because I believe they could make better use of their time and money.

To those I have offended, I do apologise, I did have good intentions in what I said. To "Pifflesmom" put your reading glasses on woman and get that negativity out of your system by doing a workout rather then twist peoples good intentions.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I have only been dieting for 6 weeks, the last 2 I have not lost any weight. I have had 2 cheat days, but I thought i was doing good. I have been working out extremely hard, burning about 1000 calories a day and eating about 1300-1500 cals. I know I do not eat perfect, but I want to eat in a way that I know I can maintain for the rest of my life, so if anyone can help me or give advice that would be great. Oh my workouts are mostly cardio, hardly ever do weights. I have been doing zumba most of the time. Should I change my workout routines or eat only 1200 cals? What am I doing wrong?

You need to eat at least some of your exercise calories.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/539912-why-eating-exercise-calories-is-so-important
  • Pifflesmom
    Pifflesmom Posts: 134 Member
    Options

[/quote]

[/quote]

^ This I can understand. And yes I get that there are things I dont know about people on those treadmills, there could be an underlying reason why they are doing what they do. I'm just saying statistically the majority of people do not know what they are doing and thus I feel "bad" for them in that they could concentrate their energy into a more effective method of weight loss.

I didnt mean any disrespect or any negative feelings in saying what I said earlier, but this woman " Pifflesmom" irks me by twisting my words and good intentions and spitting them out as venom. "I guess I'm one of the poor slobs on the treadmill that you're talking about "
    When did I exactly call people who are on the treadmills poor slobs or even hint that my views towards them were in this direction? I said I felt geneuinely bad for them, NOT because they are FAT, NOT because they are on treadmills, NOT because they have physical problems but rather because I believe they could make better use of their time and money.

To those I have offended, I do apologise, I did have good intentions in what I said. To "Pifflesmom" put your reading glasses on woman and get that negativity out of your system by doing a workout rather then twist peoples good intentions.
    [/quote]

erm...venom? Not at all. All I was saying is that you can't just lump everyone into a single category by stating that they should be doing something different or better to achieve their results. I'm glad you've found something that works for you - that's excellent! I walk on the treadmill because like a previous poster, I have limited mobility and if I can walk 40 mins on that treadmill, for me, that's a giant achievement. I'm envious of those who can really push themselves and I look on in awe at some of the different activities people can do.

So, negative? No. I'm just doing what works for ME and I'm happy with that.
  • amandabateman411
    Options
    I do have a HRM and I do Zumba for about 70 mins to burn 1000 calories.
  • eljulia
    eljulia Posts: 40
    Options
    Another thing i've done to help switch things up is to eat varied calories per day during the week, as long as the week's total is within the boundaries, like if i'm eating 1400 per day average i might be under by 200 one day or two, then over that much another day or two. But the week still totals out to the net average being 1400 per day. And the eating your exercise calories back is very helpful, so if you're burning 1000 (kudos! can't do that on my best day! i think if i tried Zumba parts would start flying off of me...) and your goal is 1300, you should probably be eating at least 2000 calories of good, clean food in a day. And my trainer says to eat within 45 minutes of exercising, which is never really an issue for me, cuz i'm starving by then! LOL!
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    When I first started out at the gym, I only did the eliptical and lost 10 pounds. Moving over to the weight area was a struggle for me. didn't know where to start.
    OP, You do need to strength train, and if you dont know how, do a few "strength and core" classes and you will find yourself more at ease on the other side, in the weights section