HRMs... how do you use them to calculate calories burnt?

Options
graelwyn
graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
I have never used one, as I am a bit afraid of finding my heart rate goes ridiculously high when I cycle up those hills, lol.

Anyone tell me more about them and how you can use them to calculate how much you burn?
I don't trust the numbers this site gives.

Replies

• ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    There's no calculations needed! You enter all your personal information, height, weight, age, and it will figure out how many calories you burn during your session and tells you on the screen of the watch part (there's also a strap you wear around your chest). I have the polar ft7 and would highly recommend it if you're looking into getting one!
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar ft4 and it is really easy to use and tells me how many calories I burn without any trouble. Definitely get an HRM with a chest strap
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    the hrm uses its own formula to caluculate your calories burned from the info you give (height, weight, age, gender V02 max) and your heartrate. that way you dont have to do it yourself
  • lvondy
    lvondy Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Do you just log the calories for the amount of time that you workout or do you keep the HRM on until your heart rate goes back to your resting rate?
  • candicejn
    candicejn Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Do you just log the calories for the amount of time that you workout or do you keep the HRM on until your heart rate goes back to your resting rate?

I just log what I burn while I'm actively working out. On when I start my warmup, off when I finish my cool down.
  • michonw
    michonw Posts: 59
    Options
    I just bought the FT7 and LOVE IT! I'm wearing it during the day this week while I sit at my desk to get an idea of how many calories I burn during the day.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I have never used one, as I am a bit afraid of finding my heart rate goes ridiculously high when I cycle up those hills, lol.

Its interesting to see how much your heart rate changes when you just stand up. LOL
  • BGabbart
    BGabbart Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    okay this may be stupid question but on the package it shows where a man wears the chest strap, but I am a big chested woman does it go above or below?
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I wear mine below...hmmmmm, maybe not such a dumb question after all interested to hear other responses
  • JustMichelleB
    Options
    I just bought the FT7 and LOVE IT! I'm wearing it during the day this week while I sit at my desk to get an idea of how many calories I burn during the day.

Unfortunately, these types of HRM aren't meant to monitor this type of burn. They are really for "exericise" burn only.

I have a Polar FT4, i entered the data requested (age, sex, weight, etc) and i start my monitor when i start my workout.
    It has a chest strap (that goes under the bottom band of my sports bra - i don't really notice it). I've heard chest straps are a must if you want reliable #'s.
  • gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    okay this may be stupid question but on the package it shows where a man wears the chest strap, but I am a big chested woman does it go above or below?

I wear it below....I have to lift the boobs up to place it, but I've noticed lately that it's been rubbing against me and now I have scars from the friction it caused.
  • candicejn
    candicejn Posts: 458 Member
    Options

I wear mine under, right in line with my bra strap.