Breathing Patterns

Options
Is there anyone that could give me a tip on how to breathe better. Let me explain. I like to run. My legs dont get tired but I breathe so hard that my chest hurt. Is there any breathing techniques that I can do to stop this problem or any other suggestions.

Replies

• kaspily
    kaspily Posts: 24
    Options
    Have you talked to your doctor? If you are having asthma like symptoms there are good treatments out there.
  • Kendralatricewilliams
    Options
    I dont nessecarily think its asthma symptoms. But it could be. I just thought it was because I am so overweight for my height. 246 at 5"5. I will ask her though. Never thought of it that way thanks
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Try just slowing down to a "conversational pace". The optimal HR for burning fat is a lot lower than many people realize. If you can't carry on a conversation with someone while you run, then you are running above that range and getting into anaerobic fitness. You just need to slow down.

:)
  • SuperSonz
    SuperSonz Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hey Kendra,

I was 243 at 5'7/8 and I could barely run for a minute and then have to pull breaths from as deep as my toes lol... i'd either get chest pains or a stitch in my stomach (sharp pain) i still get the stitch sometimes.

There's something called angina that you experience for a short time after exertion due to exercise....could be that? Try race walking and see if you get the same feeling. You may have to go a little easy :)

When you are running (or exercising on the whole) inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth. Having been in the gym for a short while It was made aware to me that when we breathe in it helps with strength and when you breathe out it relieve the body of any pain (like for example weight lifting).

Hope this helps!
  • jddykstra
    jddykstra Posts: 19
    Options
    try focusing on breathing in through your nose, out through your mouth (like previous poster said) and doing so with your diaphragm... so your stomach is moving, not your chest. I typically have a pretty high heart rate when I'm running and I find if I really concentrate and focus on my breathing I feel its a little easier and like I'm not laboring so much. I have a similar issue in that my legs can go forever, but my heart rate is too high to sustain and holds me back, so I try to slow down and focus on how I'm breathing. Also you could try to get into a rhythm of some sort with your steps if possible... inhale (left, right, left) exhale (right, left, right).
  • Kendralatricewilliams
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I will definitely try ur ideas.
  • ghiagirl893
    ghiagirl893 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You're working out your lungs and heart more than your legs when running. In time, it will stop, and you can run for more time.