running advice

Options
I have only just started running and I am on day three of c25k, I am so tired, is this normal?

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Yes, tiredness is normal when you are first starting out. As you get stronger and more in shape you will be able to do a lot more before you feel tired.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely. I found week 1 really hard but took the two days off between weeks and just completed Week 2, day 1. It was better than expected and I feel really alive. :-)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    It's very normal. Don't forget to take rest days - you only need to run three days a week. Rest is when your body repairs itself, replenishes energy stores and gets stronger to run again.

Here are my beginner's running tips which might help:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

Take note of point one:
    "When you start out, it’s HARD! Even if you think you’re fit, running is so different to anything else you’ve done before you will get out of breath quickly. Stick with it. Can’t manage a minute? Go slow. Still can’t? GO SLOWER!"
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Yep, you'll shake it off in no time :) I've blogged about my C25K experience if you wanna have a gander :) Eventually it'll get to the point you feel MORE awake after running!!
  • NoxImus
    NoxImus Posts: 4
    Options
    Running is no different to lifting weights when it come to muscle exercise. You're working a group of muscles, they will take a while to build, and get use to the pounding being put on them. Remember to start stepping up your games, and challenge your body.
  • tigerdactyl
    tigerdactyl Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You'll get used to it. I couldn't even complete week 1 the first time I tried, I had to schedule in 2 weeks before it with shorter run times. Now I'm in week 5 and have been doing fine. Keep with it, and congrats on the effort!
  • dynamojones
    Options
    It's very normal. Don't forget to take rest days - you only need to run three days a week. Rest is when your body repairs itself, replenishes energy stores and gets stronger to run again.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

Take note of point one:
    "When you start out, it’s HARD! Even if you think you’re fit, running is so different to anything else you’ve done before you will get out of breath quickly. Stick with it. Can’t manage a minute? Go slow. Still can’t? GO SLOWER!"

@BerryH this was really inspiring and some great information.

Thanks for sharing.
  • aliceinlondon
    Options
    Thanks everyone, will have a rest tomorrow
  • sdgormley
    Options
    HOw many calories do ya burn with C25k?? I started last week and am unsure how to put it in my log.......help!!
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's normal when starting something new. If you need to build in an extra rest day, do that. Or even repeat an entire week to let your body get used to the extra work.

Good luck
  • Dremak1
    Dremak1 Posts: 18
    Options
    That is so true. I had worked out so much on the elliptical and weight lifting and thought - I can run.... O M G - Totally different. I was sore, I was tired, I got winded. I am keeping with it and it is getting easier - now I dont want to do the elliptical because I dont think I am getting a good work out.
  • Dremak1
    Dremak1 Posts: 18
    Options

Take note of point one:

That is so true. I had worked out so much on the elliptical and weight lifting and thought - I can run.... O M G - Totally different. I was sore, I was tired, I got winded. I am keeping with it and it is getting easier - now I dont want to do the elliptical because I dont think I am getting a good work out.