Anyone doing C25K? Any Running Enthusiast out there?

Options
Hi y'all!
I though I'd start a new topic here to see if any of you can help me, give me some tips or want to share experiences.
After 2 extremely difficult an hard months, I've decided to get my life back and start my weight loss "program" again. Excercise-wise this is the right time to try something completely new - and for me this is running.
Have I mentioned that I've tried this before - only half-heartedly though ... and I absolutely hated it?!
Well, anyway, this time I'm determined to run 5k in a couple of weeks! Really....
I've started the c25k plan today...and man, was that hard! I actually had to laugh at myself for being such a loser :laugh:
But from experience I know that things will only get better, right?!
So, if any of you have some tips for me, bring it on. If you've just started running yourself, maybe you want to share your experience or need someone to motivate you every now and then? I now for sure that I do! :wink:
Would be great to get some feedback here!
Thanks sooo much everyone! You are all great! :flowerforyou:
Andrea

Replies

• Elizaj85
    Elizaj85 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 8 of C25k and I never thought i'd get there. I am big girl and definitely not built for running but I realised the third time doing the program over that no one said I had to sprint just actually move faster then walking.
    So that's what I started doing the slowest jog in the world an as I've become stronger so has my pace. I won't be winning any awards for speed but I can go the distance now.
    I have also repeated a couple of weeks because I haven't felt comfortable in pushing myself but I kept working at it and am so glad i have because its a wonderful feeling knowing your only 2 minuets away from running 30 mins :-)
    I go first thing in the morning so I don't have time to think of any excuses not do it, its literally straight off the pillow and out the door with a quick drink of water. it also means my husband doesn't moan he's left looking after the kids because there still asleep
    Good luck an just remember it is doable at any size lol!
  • Char_marcus
    Char_marcus Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    i am on week 2 day 3 of c-2-5k and my advice would be, make sure you take rest days as in do the plan every other day so that you can allow your body to catch up, i remember run 1 week 1, was fine, run 2 week 2 was really hard, run 3 week 1 was a piece of cake as i had allowed the rest days between runs, and also warming up and cooling down are important

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7120,s6-241-287--13442-0,00.html
  • vegamy
    vegamy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    So, if any of you have some tips for me, bring it on. If you've just started running yourself, maybe you want to share your experience or need someone to motivate you every now and then?

C25K is GREAT. I'd say, just don't start off running too fast. I completed C25K last summer and started out really sprinting. When I went to increase my running time as the program progressed, I was getting burnt out and couldn't breathe. Once I slowed down a little, it became much easier. I still couldn't run a 5K in 30 minutes when I finished (it was more like 38 minutes) but I could run the whole thing!

Now I've increased and can easily run 10K and am working towards a half marathon (I can run about 10 miles right now). So stick with it! I NEVER thought I'd like running.
  • Fruchtzwerg
    Fruchtzwerg Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks sooo much for all your comments! Great to hear that c25k worked for you. I'm sure it will work for me, too.
    Looking at it now, I think I might have started out running a bit too fast. Will keep the pace down a bit when I'm doing my next session on Friday. Actually, I can't wait! Maybe I'll be one of those healthy looking runners after all?! Yippeeee!
  • sbreems
    sbreems Posts: 17
    Options
    I did C25K about 3 years ago. It took me a little longer than the 8 weeks or whatever it was because I repeated some weeks. I did get up to running the distance of a 5K (a big step for me as I complained after running a block). The thing I regret is that when I actually did the 5K race (a week or two after I reached the distance in my practice runs) there were all these huge hills I hadn't trained for and I walked some of it because I pushed myself too fast up some of the first big hills. Then I didn't continue the program after the race (it was cold out, I was busy, excuse, excuse, excuse).

The plan does work and if you need to repeat a few weeks, that's fine. You will get there :)

Sarah
  • LilSomethin
    LilSomethin Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I did C25K last may. it also took me a little longer to complete. I took it slow and repeated one week cuz I felt I needed it. Don't push yourself too fast. Take the time to do the program and don't run too fast otherwise u will hurt yourself. I competed in my first 5K last October with a time of 28:40 :) Good luck!!! Hope u learn to love to run, it's addicting!!