Please help me figure out my BMR?

Options
I just had a baby and I am starting to exercise again (week 4), but I need some help with my BMR. I am 5'4" with a medium/large frame and 181lbs at the moment. I just calculated my BMR on one site as 1639.75, but even after a little exercise my goal for the day so far is only 1610. Should I eat more than this or no?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,641 Member
    Options
    Age, height, weight needed to figure it out.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • PoochPottery
    Options
    Try this website:

Keep in mind your BMR is the amount of calories you need to stay alive if you were in a bed all day not moving AT ALL

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html

You can also check out this site:

http://www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm

Hope this helps
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Are you breastfeeding? If you are, you may not want to calorie restrict so soon, while your supply is getting established.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Click on 'tools' at the top of the site then click 'BMR'. Quick and easy way to get that number right here on MfP. :-)
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say that your baby is absolutely ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Are you breastfeeding? If you are, you may not want to calorie restrict so soon, while your supply is getting established.

^^THIS^^
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Using the MFP BMR calculator people have linked to, entering 22 year old female, 5'4" and 181 lbs:
    Your estimated BMR is: 1,566 calories/day*

*BMR based on the Mifflin - St. Jeor equations. Please remember that even the best BMR calculators provide only a best guess and should be used as a guide only.

Keep in mind: "Your BMR is how many calories you'd burn if you stayed in bed all day — basically, how many calories you burn just to stay alive."

You've got to account for your activities, as well as milk production if you are nursing.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    According to my calculator your BMR is 1650. You need to multiply that by 1.2 if you're sedentary, 1.375 if you're lightly active, 1.55 if you're moderately active or 1.725 if you're highly active to work out your TDEE. You also then need to add 500-1000 cals (not savvy on the literature - read up!) if you're breastfeeding.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    OOpz Sorry! 22 years old. 5'4" 181lbs thx :] my bad!
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Oh wow no wonder I feel so hungry sometimes. lol. I am breastfeeding, but not exclusively. I also am starting to work out at the same time and want to burn off maybe 300-500 calories per day through exercise..I guess the last BMR calculator was a bit off. Thank you everyone!
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Just wanted to say that your baby is absolutely ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Lo Thank you! He's precious <3 as is his big sister :]
  • SCC88
    SCC88 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Also, breast feeding burns mega calories, of which you will need to eat back :-)

http://www.ehow.co.uk/about_4598063_many-do-burn-day-breastfeeding_.html
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Thanks for letting me know ! I need to pump to see how much I burn tho lol I have no idea.. when my son feeds it can be up to an hour (then Im like okay kid thats enough lol). I use bottles sometimes too but I havent pumped in a while either so Im not sure when I do feed him about how much milk he gets at one time to calculate the calories I need..I will have to check tonight! :]