NEED: Eating for one Recipes

Options
gone2facebookprint
gone2facebookprint Posts: 154 Member
Hey All,

I need great healthy recipes to feed one person. I know that my fiancee will not eat that much of anything so I need to get recipes to just feed one person without a lot of waste.. Do you know any?

Thanks,
Print

Replies

• beefunk
    beefunk Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I need the same. I only cook for myself !
  • Devinec67
    Devinec67 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Check out Taste of Home's website, they used to have a magazine for cooking for two.
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Will you eat leftovers? When I was single I cooked full recipes (or halved them) but saved individually-portioned leftovers for later meals.
  • gone2facebookprint
    Options
    Will you eat leftovers? When I was single I cooked full recipes (or halved them) but saved individually-portioned leftovers for later meals.

I actually hate eatting left overs... another reason attempting to find single recipes...
  • gone2facebookprint
    Options

Can't view that at work I will have to wait till I get home...
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Does it have to be a "recipe," per se?

You can buy bags of individual chicken breasts or fish filets and just cook one at a time, along with just enough fresh or frozen veggies for your meal.

Also if you buy meat fresh, you can freeze it in individual portions. Like buy a package of four pork chops and freeze three (individually so they do not stick together). Then later you can just defrost one for cooking.
  • RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    It takes a little thought and ingenuity but you really can make recipes that feed 2-4 into recipes that feed one. Most of my recipes (pre-marriage) were for 8+ people. My family size in other words. But when I got married I had to shrink those recipes down to two. I don't think it'd be terribly hard to go down to one from there. When I have a night when I'm eating by myself it's usually the same recipe but instead of measuring stuff it's just a small handful of this and a small handful of that with a pinch of all the spices.

And I agree with angeldaae with her freezing idea. I buy ground beef in bulk. I divide it into 1 and 2 portions and freeze it in sandwich size bags. Works great!

You're welcome to my two person meals here: rillsmenu.com

Or you can also try BrokeandHealthy.com < her portion sizes all look like 1-2 people to me.
  • apollard727
    Options
    I buy alot of frozen meat so that they keep longer.. this always helps!
    My favourite meal for one is:

6 frozen prawns (or as many as you like to be defrosted)
    1/4 cup brown rice
    Frozen peas - to your liking
    Drained sweetcorn - to your liking
    1 scrambled egg or 1 scrambled egg white

Cook the prawns, boil the rice, peas and sweetcorn and scramble your egg with no milk.
    Toss together and enjoy for around 300cal a meal :smile:
    Tastes yummy and can experiment with it.. the rice, frozen prawns and peas will last for a while for other recipies you have and any sweetcorn you have left over will need to be refridgerated and will last a few days
  • gone2facebookprint
    Options
    I buy alot of frozen meat so that they keep longer.. this always helps!
    My favourite meal for one is:

6 frozen prawns (or as many as you like to be defrosted)
    1/4 cup brown rice
    Frozen peas - to your liking
    Drained sweetcorn - to your liking
    1 scrambled egg or 1 scrambled egg white

Cook the prawns, boil the rice, peas and sweetcorn and scramble your egg with no milk.
    Toss together and enjoy for around 300cal a meal :smile:
    Tastes yummy and can experiment with it.. the rice, frozen prawns and peas will last for a while for other recipies you have and any sweetcorn you have left over will need to be refridgerated and will last a few days

I want to try this out... That sounds good....Thank you for sharing
  • WonderCort
    WonderCort Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I eat this often for break fast. I enjoy omelets, so I keep the ingredients handy in the fridge stored in ready-to-go tupper ware so I can measure out just what I need and pop it back in the fridge when I am done.

1/2 cup "all whites" egg whites placed in a small fry pan (lightly sprayed with canola cooking oil) at medium and covered until cooked. I never have to flip them, they cook pretty fast when covered maybe 3 minutes at the most.

Add to one side of the pan on top of the all whites:
    2 tablespoons black beans
    1 tablespoon diced green chilies
    1 wedge laughing cow creamy swiss cheese
    2 tablespoons favorite salsa (I prefer pace original medium or newman's own pineapple salsa)

I pair this with an orange or a banana. I have been known to double the recipe and make one big omelet in a large pan for dinner, hehe.
  • gone2facebookprint
    Options
    That sounds really good... now to get all of this stuff bought so I can try some of it... anyone have pictures of the recipe they shared?
    I eat this often for break fast. I enjoy omelets, so I keep the ingredients handy in the fridge stored in ready-to-go tupper ware so I can measure out just what I need and pop it back in the fridge when I am done.

1/2 cup "all whites" egg whites placed in a small fry pan (lightly sprayed with canola cooking oil) at medium and covered until cooked. I never have to flip them, they cook pretty fast when covered maybe 3 minutes at the most.

Add to one side of the pan on top of the all whites:
    2 tablespoons black beans
    1 tablespoon diced green chilies
    1 wedge laughing cow creamy swiss cheese
    2 tablespoons favorite salsa (I prefer pace original medium or newman's own pineapple salsa)

I pair this with an orange or a banana. I have been known to double the recipe and make one big omelet in a large pan for dinner, hehe.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Any combination of "meat+veg" is simple to do for one.

Grilled steak with steamed brocoli.
    Salmon fillet (poached, grilled, baked) with a spinach salad.
    Chicken breast with sauteed mushrooms

etc. (Are you sure your fiancee wouldn't be tempted by some of those?)
  • gone2facebookprint
    Options
    Any combination of "meat+veg" is simple to do for one.

Grilled steak with steamed brocoli.
    Salmon fillet (poached, grilled, baked) with a spinach salad.
    Chicken breast with sauteed mushrooms

etc. (Are you sure your fiancee wouldn't be tempted by some of those?)

Very sure... she is like a vegetarian ...but those sound good to me