Coconut oil--- Blonde questions... HELP

Options
Ok so I have done lots of research on coconut oil. I want to give it a try. I went and bought LouAna Coconut oil (pure). I am unsure if it is refined or unrefined?? I used it on Monday in a frying pan with broccoli. I was cooking fish too so I am unsure of the smell but it tasted good. I would like to use it as much as possible (even if it's 130 cals per Tablespoon) Does anyone know of easy ways to cook and use coconut oil? Please keep in mind I am COMPLETLY blonde at this.

Thanks

Replies

• GoalSixPack
    Options
    Try cooking your eggs in it. Yummy ;-)
  • mabennett
    mabennett Posts: 53
    Options
    i use a teaspoon in my coffee! YUM!
  • tiffylu7
    tiffylu7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just use it in place of whatever cooking oil a recipe calls for. I fry/saute in coconut oil all the time, and have never noticed the coconut taste in my food. it's also great for skin and hair! if you are concerned with how refined it is, i'd suggest buying it from a healthfood store, i've seen the louana brand at walmart, but I usually buy Spectrum from Whole Foods
  • TiffLandis
    Options
    absolutely fry your eggs in it and pop popcorn on the stove with it. It's also fantastic for you skin. I bought a 50lb. drum of it from a cannery. It's cheaper that way and coconut oil doesn't turn rancid over time.
  • bridies01
    bridies01 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I just use it in place of whatever cooking oil a recipe calls for. I fry/saute in coconut oil all the time, and have never noticed the coconut taste in my food. it's also great for skin and hair! if you are concerned with how refined it is, i'd suggest buying it from a healthfood store, i've seen the louana brand at walmart, but I usually buy Spectrum from Whole Foods

^ this - I used to cook everything with extra virgin olive oil, and now I use coconut oil for cooking and baking. I only use olive oil to make salad dressings. I buy Nature's Way extra virgin organic from amazon. You want to make sure it's extra virgin and not mechanically expressed. To bake with it, I microwave it for 30 seconds to make it liquid before mixing it into the rest of the ingredients. Because it has a higher smoke point, it makes an AWESOME grilled cheese sandwich!
  • DeeKay2169
    DeeKay2169 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    T y'all SO much. I can't wait to make a grilled cheese :)
  • _CiaoParis
    _CiaoParis Posts: 166
    Options
    Put some in a smoothie!