Just starting and need friends

Hello,
My name is Jackie and I am a 50 yr old woman who has struggled with my weight most of my life. Last year before I turned 50 I told myself that I wanted to be in the best health possible before I turned 50. I joined a gym and started and then as I have sooo many times in the past I stopped. I lack motivation and I get bored very easily. I am not making excuses just stating the truth. I am not lazy by any means and I do like a challenge. I need to lose over 100 lbs so I really do need motivation and support to keep me on track. I would love to have friends to help me with my journey and I will do the same. Here is to success for all of us. Thanks in advance for being my friend.:smile::smile:

Replies

• BeeSunny
    BeeSunny Posts: 172 Member
    Welcome!!!!!
    Great honesty but you are real hard on yourself, you chose to lose weight that is a big step, be proud of yourself!!!!

One day at a time dear that is all we can handle, everyday will be different but if you beat yourself up everyday you will continue to struggle, accept yourself as a human we make mistakes we learn from them and move on !!!:drinker:

This is the place to stay motivated, logging your food daily is a great start, you can open your diary so everyone else can help you out or keep it private to motivate yourself it is your choice! Logging takes time and practice, but once you start it is like second nature to you!!! I do not go to a gym, I work out at home with the 30 day shred and Yoga. I also walk and have many hills around to get me motivated, I love hills for some reason! Finding friends on here was what I did after i practiced logging, and without friends I wasn't near as motivate. I will send a friend request, and good luck!!!!
  • incognitopotato
    incognitopotato Posts: 26 Member
    Hi and welcome, Jackie! Like BeeSunny said, don't be so hard on yourself--it's very hard to eat healthy in today's world when there are so many tempting junk foods that have actually been designed to be as addictive as possible. However, just being here and making an effort means that you are off to a great start!

What I've found helpful is focusing on *adding in* more vegetables and fruits, rather than focusing on cutting out fatty foods. When you try to deny yourself something it is human nature to obsess over it, so this way you will instead get excited about all the delicious and nutritious veggies you can eat :) Filling up on healthy food makes it easier for me to resist unhealthy junk food. Anyway, everyone is different but just sharing what has helped me.

Good luck on starting out, and feel free to add me if you want a buddy!
  • Babygirl928
    Babygirl928 Posts: 378 Member
    Welcome!! This is a great step. This sight and the people here will Definately keep you motivated. I have 100 to lose and if it wasn't for MFP i would have already quit ....AGAIN. I am 3 months in, 12 pounds and 4 inches down and eating healthier than ever. Good luck on your journey and I will do my best to keep you motivated. Sending friend request :)
  • Johnece
    Johnece Posts: 7
    Hi, Jackie! I'm Johnece, 54, and new to MFP, too. Can't tell you how many times I've started on my weight loss journey, only to falter. This time I have some health issues that I need to take care of before they get worse, so I have to focus on diet and exercise!

I'm sending you a friend request, okay?
  • wearechevytough1
    wearechevytough1 Posts: 6 Member
    Thank you all for your wonderful replies. I have befriended all who sent me requests. You can't have too many friends right?:smile::smile: Let's get going!!!!:smile::smile:
  • mygrlz02
    mygrlz02 Posts: 32
    Hi there! I wish you luck on your journey. I am about to turn 40 and told myself the same thing. I have faith that with the tools this website provides and the friends i will make that I will succeed! You will also!! I'll send a friend request.
  • LeslieMDoyle
    LeslieMDoyle Posts: 162 Member
    Jackie, you can totally do this. No matter what you did or didn't do in the past, it's a brand new day! Lucky for us, EVERY day is a brand new day. Every day that we get up and make good choices about our food and exercise, we're doing good things for our health and wellness. I too have 100 lbs to lose...but I'm down 8.8 already! It's just a matter of time!
  • cdcjac
    cdcjac Posts: 2
    I have also have just started My Fitness Pal. I need to find friends who are also just starting. Would you consider to be a friend with and 74 year old? I need to loose weight due to health problems. Thank you for considering me

cdcjac
  • trinitylyons01
    trinitylyons01 Posts: 126 Member
    Good Morning! Like someone else said I can't tell you how many times I have started, stopped, started, etc. The support I have received from MFP really makes me want to stay committed! When I started I had way over 100 pounds to lose so I still have a long way to go. But, WE CAN DO IT!

Fell free to add me as a friend if you want to. Good luck to you and know that the one thing you need to do to ensure you meet your goal is NEVER give up! Good day, bad day, lots of exercise, no exercise - just keep moving forward and you'll get there!

Welcome to MFP!
  • YOU CAN DO IT!
  • Hi Jackie, My name is Bonnie and i am just starting with this program too. I've done the same - i've been a member of the Y for almost 5 years now and i will go for a while and then get out of the habit. I am 45 years old and would like to lose at least 25 lbs, but ultimately 50 lbs. i don't want to set the bar too high beginning. My biggest problem is that i work a full time job sitting at a desk all day and i have 2 kids who are very busy with school activities and sports. i feel like i don't have any time for myself. All i do is work and run the kids around. I'll be glad to be your friend! And i need plenty as well. I think we as women tend to place ourselves last in the daily scheme of things and I for one am tired of that! i want to be healthy; i want to be attractive; i want to feel good about myself. Good luck and i'm right here with you!!!
  • ummnadir
    ummnadir Posts: 48
    Welcome. I ll add you but don't be so strict. Relax A little
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Hi, Jackie! Feel free to add me. I'm 53 and am always in the process of losing or gaining weight. We all need support!
  • mzfiyaa
    mzfiyaa Posts: 94 Member
    u have 2 want it for urself and stay on track and never lose focus and if there is ever a day that u cheated u can alays jump on track....and be determined.....
  • lrforge
    lrforge Posts: 17
    Feel free to add me, I had to delete my account & start over - but so ready to get back on it!
  • vipergts223
    vipergts223 Posts: 124 Member
    Feel free to add me, I accept all friend requests and am online everyday.

The more support the better, this site is awesome for this!!
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Feel free to add me.