Balancing Cardio and Strength Training

Options
This concerns the age-old question of how to balance cardio and strength training.

I am just beginning to work out again after a long hiatus and I heard that you are supposed to begin with cardio, but I always prefered and even enjoyed strength training.

My question is can I start out with simple walking as my cardio (60 min a day) (adding some jogging with the C25K plan three days a week) and begin doing strength training again? I would do my yoga meltdown video a few days a week, but also do a strength training workout from a book (This is why you're fat) three days a week.

I feel like I should add more cardio, but walking/jogging is kind of where I'm at right now and I still want to begin my strength training.

What do you think? Any experience with this balance?

Replies

• rawfitness
    rawfitness Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    There's no reason why you can't do both. Do strength 3 days per week and cardio whenever you can.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    This may sound like blasphemy coming from a runner but if you prefer strength then do strength. Cardio (walking/running 3 x weekly) is plenty even if you're training for a 5K as to balancing them there are no hard and fast rules.
  • RandomMiranda
    Options
    It doesn't look like your weight loss goal is a huge number, so I'd say go for the strength and do whatever cardio you like and have time for. You may not drop the pounds as quickly, but you'll tone up and lose inches. The balance I've struck is 3 days of running (which I worked up to over time) or elliptical and 3 days of a video that includes weights (No More Trouble Zones is my favorite).
  • Iluvchopsticks
    Iluvchopsticks Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Do what you enjoy and what works for you. I do cardio and strength. I lift heavy and a lot of serious weight lifters are critical of my doing both but I don't care. I enjoy running as well as lifting and won't give up one for the other. I have found that running early in the morning and lifting in the evening on the same day works for me. It gives me nearly 12 hours of recovery between workouts and then I take the next day off completely. Just experiment and figure out what works best for you and will keep you motivated.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I do both but I give priority to strength. I feel that I see more results from strength and as Brian said earlier, you can maintain your cardio fitness with 3 x per week. I believe you can maintain fitness with strength and some cardio by super setting. I do this, eg minimal rest between sets and never to full HR recovery as well as cardio twice per week. Sometime I'll do a 3rd cardio but usualy with 3 days of strength and 2 days of cardio I need some recovery time at 60 going on 61! Walking is fine to start but you will see more benefits to increase the intensity with running, biking or HIIT 1 session per week. I hope this is helpful.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Do what you enjoy and what works for you. I do cardio and strength. I lift heavy and a lot of serious weight lifters are critical of my doing both but I don't care. I enjoy running as well as lifting and won't give up one for the other. I have found that running early in the morning and lifting in the evening on the same day works for me. It gives me nearly 12 hours of recovery between workouts and then I take the next day off completely. Just experiment and figure out what works best for you and will keep you motivated.

this is similar to what i do. i want to get back into 5k and 10k running as well as a few sprint distance triathlons.

i lift heavy 3 days a week. those days i do 30 minutes of cardio (split between running and another form of cardio). in between lifting days i do 45-60 minutes of cardio.
  • sbreems
    sbreems Posts: 17
    Options
    Thank you everyone! All of your suggestions are helpful! Thanks for the idea of adding one day of more intense cardio...I can do that. I really care more about being toned and fit than losing pounds and I think doing 3 days of strength training with the cardio will work. Thank you again!