DESPERATE! High Cholesterol and when you're under 30!

Options
Hi guys,

I must admit, red meat and cheese are my weaknesses, but ever since I found out I have high cholesterol and have been trying to lower it with diet and exercise, it's been freaking me out a bit.

I have family history of high cholesterol, both LDL (bad cholesterol) and HDL (good cholesterol) and I always thought that they balanced each other out. Although it is good to have a high HDL, my LDL is way too high, close to 200, and I can't seem to get it to lower with just diet and exercise.

I want to know if anyone has tips for lowering the LDL because I really wanted to avoid medication before turning 30, which will happen this summer. I want to give it one last shot before resorting to that?

Any tips? recipes? I do work out at least 5x/week incorporating cardio and resistance training. I also eat whole grains and fiber, drink plenty of water and avoid fried/fatty foods but it just doesn't seem to be enough.

Help!

Ana

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,946 Member
    Options
    Is your total cholesterol 200 or just LDL?
  • rkgb
    rkgb Posts: 22
    Options
    I have high cholesterol sometimes but not all the time it is a battle for me. Here is what I do. First change you daily cholesterol amount to 200 not 300.
    Take fish oil everyday it is supposed to raise you good and lower you bad.
    Eat one ounce of dark chocolate 3 or 4 times a week. This will also boost you good levels.
    Some people drink red wine but I am allergic so I don't
    Eat lean meats. I know not as fun but if you don't like dry meat learn to make some steak sauces. You can make some without cream or butter. Also cook red meat low and slow it will taste better that way.
    Skim milk. I eat low fat cheese not fat free. Yes there is more calories but once you switch to fat free you add sugar same with fat free salad dressings.
    I know it is often up for debate on this site and everyone has there own opinion but I limit my egg yolk consumption. One egg has 170mg of cholesterol. I know it is "the perfect food" but when you are not supposed to go over 200 a day it is not so perfect for me. I don't like the taste anyway.
    I have seen recently Red yeast rice will help lower your cholesterol but I haven't tried it. I might.
    Loose weight. I don't know what your weigh is but weight loss will lower your levels. It is why I joined this site and bought a fitbit and a hrm. I refuse to take the drugs. I like my mind fully intact.
    BTW my levels were 200 at 19 and right now I am 38 and my ldl was 147 and my hdl 59. We will see how the last 2 mo have gone when I go back in a few days.
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    what does your doc say? would u be a candidate for medicine?
  • adhillman01
    adhillman01 Posts: 206
    Options
    The chemical in Red Yeast Rice that lowers your LDL is lovastatin. This is what drugs like Zocor and Crestor are based off of. In fact lovastatin is only available as a prescription now. Red yeast rice is no longer allowed to contain lovastatin due to patent issues. Since this has changed ryr is no longer effective for lowering LDL. Also fish oil has very little effect on ldl, it works primarily by increasing HDL and lowering triglycerides. Your best bet is losing weight if needed.
  • Rayjewls
    Rayjewls Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Raspberry ketones
  • CandylandChel
    CandylandChel Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Since I started eating oatmeal for breakfast every morning , and excersicing regularly, my cholesterol has dropped insanely. My doctor says I have "very envious cholesterol levels". They're perfect. I also add good fiber (as this is what lowers cholesterol) into my oatmeal such as ground flax and chia seeds. Sometimes pumpkin and clove if I wanna spice it up. Apples an cinnamon is great too. Fiber fiber fiber! Oat fiber at that is excellent at lowering cholesterol.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Eating low carb with lots of fat has made my cholesterol beyond textbook perfect. Doctors that are limiting the meat and cheese you eat and advocating grains are just speeding your way to cholesterol medications.

Do yourself a huge favor. Just go and start reading www.marksdailyapple.com and proceed with an open mind. If nothing else is really working, what do you have to loose by trying something for about a month. I've followed Atkins for a while and my HDL is through the roof, and my LDL and Triglycerides have dug a hole under the basement and are living there :happy:
  • ironmanwannabe
    ironmanwannabe Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    While controlling what you eat is one way to lower cholesterol, there is only so much you can do. The other major factor is genetics. According to my cardiologist, your body should produce all the cholesterol you need. Changing your diet is definitely a step in the right direction, but the amount of cholesterol your body produces is not within your control. He has patients that are Indian who are strict vegetarians and in good shape but have horrible cholesterol counts (and varying degrees of heart disease).

I guess what I am trying to say is to do the diet and exercise but you may need some help lowering these numbers if your genes are not cooperating... Good luck!
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have been struggling with borderline high cholesterol (hovers at 200) since I was eight years old. I cut out most canned foods and switched to fresh or frozen veggies only. As for red meat, I only eat it once per week. The other days I eat chicken or fish (tilapia or salmon.) However, I also have access to ground venison which is a lean meat and approved for low cholesterol diets. This or ground turkey are what I make burgers and tacos out of.

There are different takes on salt. I find that when I cook for myself, I use way less salt than prepared foods and restaurants. Over the years I have gotten used to not having a lot of salt in my food but some people find it bland. I try to not put salt on table because I can control the portions better in the kitchen. Some people disagree with this and say cook the food without salt and measure out portions when you salt it at the table. But honestly, the biggest change in my numbers came when I cut out canned veggies and added extra fiber to my diet.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    While controlling what you eat is one way to lower cholesterol, there is only so much you can do. The other major factor is genetics. According to my cardiologist, your body should produce all the cholesterol you need. Changing your diet is definitely a step in the right direction, but the amount of cholesterol your body produces is not within your control. He has patients that are Indian who are strict vegetarians and in good shape but have horrible cholesterol counts (and varying degrees of heart disease).

I guess what I am trying to say is to do the diet and exercise but you may need some help lowering these numbers if your genes are not cooperating... Good luck!

Exactly...Dietary Cholesterol/Fat has very little impact on your blood cholesterol levels - your body produces cholesterol...and can be genetically influenced. If your high cholesterol is high via genetic issues diet isn't going to effect it very much.

My husband is in the same boat - he eats a fairly clean low cholesterol diet but his cholesterol is still high - he just had blood work done and it showed very little change over the past 6 months he has been eating clean and lean...and a lot of the good fats (olive oil, coconut oil, fish oil) that is suppose to "help" and lots of plain oatmeal...and no real change...

At this point the question is - is his high cholesterol really a detriment to his body i.e. do some people who are genetically predispositioned to having higher cholesterol really have an increase in heart disease and other issues associated with high cholesterol if he is eating a predominately clean diet and is not overweight...