How do you feel about you (wedding related)?

Options
13»

Replies

• iHEARTcardiacnurses
    iHEARTcardiacnurses Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    If you really want to keep things in perspective. This is Tara Lynn. She's a french model and I'd venture to say she looks about 500 times hotter than any Victoria's Secret model... She's a 14/16 and the most gorgeous kind of curvy. She's beautiful not just for her looks but because she radiates confidence. One of my role models :smile:

500x_tara_lynn121.jpg

versus these VS models. Well, I feel like no matter what fabric they wear it would just fall off. No need to find clothes when you can shop in the kids section!

2011-Candice-Swanepoel-Weight-Loss-Skinny.jpg

I mean...c'mon :laugh:
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I was on here last year at this time trying to lose weight for my wedding in September. I already had my dress bought and I guess because my life style with my husband changed and I wasn't eating as clean, wasn't working out, etc. my weight went up quite a bit. I too was disappointed in myself as I did not get where I wanted to be. I was freaked out about my dress not fitting and it was the perfect dress for me. The month before my wedding I really worked out, cut my processed foods, cut my alcohol intake and I was happy with my results. Not as happy as if I would have been a few sizes smaller - lol. I did have to have my dress let out - but only in the chest - which could have been worse. My wedding day was perfect - my pictures are wonderful. So don't let the stress get to you too much. Take whatever time you have and really hit it hard and then let it go and have a great wedding! If I knew how to post a picture on here I would show you my pics. Oh - also, get a wrap like two days before your wedding. I did - it really made a difference.
  • ChevyChick88
    ChevyChick88 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you! I am the largest I have ever been (pregnancy and then BC issues contribute to it) I was really hoping to be near my goal for the wedding but was having some issues with my Mirena. Aside from other health issues the most noticeable was continued weight GAIN even though I was logging and exercising.

I had it removed 2 1/2ish months ago and started losing again. I am down 2 pant sizes since my fiance proposed. (the fact that he proposed to me at my heaviest helps fight the depressing feelings away)

Of course I wish I were smaller on my wedding day (at least closer to what is "normal" for me) but I am trying to enjoy it and realize that my soon to be hubby loves me no matter what and will think I am beautiful.

I am planning on working a play on words about loving through "thick" and thin into my vows, since he obviously loves me through it all.

Just try to change your mindset. Tell yourself this is a journey and you are smaller than you were a month ago and will continue that pattern until you are at your goal. When you look back on the wedding pics you'll know that your husband has already loved you through the "thick" of it all. :flowerforyou:

Awesome that you found a solution to help you get to where you are looking to be! And, congrats on your upcoming wedding! I just love the fact that your man proposed suring a time that you were a little down and that helped to lift you up. It's sooo nice to know you (and I) have a good man! YAY!!! I also love the idea about adding that into your vows -- very creative!
  • ChevyChick88
    Options
    I am getting married at the end of this month April 28th and was worried about being bigger, had to get a size 16 dress, but owell... I still look pretty in it and have actually had to stall my weight loss because if I lose anymore weight my dress will be too big. All I can say is all brides are beautiful and if your man loved you at 225... he'll love you no matter your weight... .. that's what I've said... when I look back at pictures of how big I was at 242 and that's when my fiance and I started dating I'm like wow he must love me to have gone for that.. LOL You'll be fine, as a bride to be I can tell you we are sensitive to everything the closer it gets to the wedding... You'll be beautiful!!!

Omg... I think you are right about the sensitivity part. This is crazy and I hope it does not get any worse! :grumble: :laugh: Thanks for the support and btw - love your tat! Congrats on your wedding... it's on my engagement pic day.

Oh goodness, I am so glad to hear this is what other people are going through. I have been paranoid I am pregnant because I have been so sensitive. :embarassed:

Oh no...... Kinda seems like it though, huh?
  • ChevyChick88
    Options
    I got married in 2010 and was heavier than my usual maintenance weight. Thing is, people still seemed to think I was beautiful, and when I look back at the pictures, I see myself (a heavier version of myself, but still me) just radiating happiness and love, and I see love and awe in my husband's eyes, and that's all that matters! Besides, how many people get to brag that they can't fit into their wedding dress because it's too big? :wink:

Hey... thats a nice way to think about it. :laugh:
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Also, if you are shopping for dresses at David's Bridal...please don't get discouraged about the "size". Their sizes are wonky!

My little sister is a size 0 and had to order size 2. My mom was depressed because she ordered a dress in her street size (an 8 I think) and they had to let it out a little bit. I've been having to console the two skinny minny's in my family because I knew going in that the number was going to be about 2 sizes higher than my street size.

Luckily I had been a bridesmaid 3 times and was accustomed to their unfair sizes. When I was a size 10 I had to order a 12 or 14 in their dresses.

So just keep that in mind. The number on the tag DOES NOT matter. What matters is how you feel in the dress. :flowerforyou:
  • ChevyChick88
    Options
    I am getting married in August and like you, started on this journey in January as I did not want to spend my day feeling like I am not enjoying it because I am concious of my weight the whole time.
    I have managed to lose weight but not nearly enough!. I have put off getting my dress made as I refuse to admit that this is the size I will be on my big day. I feel that it is focusing me alright but I feel under so much pressure (self-inflicted of course) to reach at least twice what I have lost between January and now. I am also holding off on getting my ring finger sized for this reason.
    Although I am still going to try to stay strong, I am really struggling this month and feel like just packing it all in lately tbh. I really want to stay focussed but it is HARD!!!
    I envisaged planning your wedding to be fun and exciting but I am just putting everything off until I succeed. I feel I have hit a plateau at the moment and that I will never move on the scales to the point that I want to be 168lbs. I started at 215 (the heaviest I have ever been) and am now 188.5.
    I am just going to try my best and try not to be seriously disappointed by the time I have to give in to my dress making :(
    Wow girl... you are doing a great job to come that far already. I am sorry that you are hurting over this because I know how bad that feels. I wish you tons of luck in getting closer to where you will be happy. Congrats, too!!
  • RandomMiranda
    Options
    I'm getting married in June. I gained 15 pounds of previous weight loss back when I started dating my fiance, then joined MFP in January. I was focused on getting and staying fit long before I met my fiance, so the wedding is not as much the goal, but of course I still want to look amazing.
    The great thing about wedding dresses is that the right style can be incredibly forgiving. I got one that is flowy on the bottom so there is no chance I will be self conscious about my biggest problem areas. Maybe instead of focusing on your weight you can focus on certain areas that you are concerned about, like toning up the arms and back if that's an issue. Feeling strong makes me feel more confident and beautiful. If the scale is stressing you out right now, set some different goals. Wedding planning is stress enough, you don't need to add more stress about your weight.
    A few years ago I was my best friend's maid of honor, and I was at or near my heaviest. I was so happy for her, and had a good dress, and I felt beautiful. I can only imagine how much more so when I'm the one getting married. You will look and feel beautiful. Period.
  • ChevyChick88
    Options
    I am deffinetly reading and taking to heart each response. I may not get to respond to each individually, but I wanted to tell you all that sharing your words, stories and advice mean a lot to me! It is helping me to try and see things in a new light and nice to hear I am not alone! And..... Congrats to all of you other bride-to-be's! Thanks bunches!!! :flowerforyou:
  • ikanholm
    ikanholm Posts: 4
    Options
    Im getting married in August and have gained 30 lbs since I met my husband to be 2 years ago. It totally crept up on me and I was in denial about it. I weighed myself a few days ago and realized I weigh just as much as he does and am 3 dress sizes bigger than I used to be! Not ok in my book. I was never "thin" but was definitely in the healthy range until recently. I feel your pain. Looking at bridal mags and sites and seeing all these thin gorgeous women in the dress of your dreams and thinking "that won't look good on me because I'm not a size 6 anymore..." I'm now on the road to weight loss but it is hard to stay motivated, especially with the wedding planning stress!! BUT all you can do is take it one day at a time, remind yourself how much better you will feel when you have lost even a little bit of weight, and reward yourself when you stick to your diet. Actually, take it one MEAL at a time. Never think about how you have to do this for a few months, you will burn out quickly if you do.

Oh and do not go extreme about it. I'm a grad student in nutrition and one of the biggest mistakes people make it dieting to the extreme. Never eat less than your BMR, otherwise your body will begin consuming your lean muscle and that is the last thing you want. So 2 lbs of fat loss a week is pretty much the most you can swing and still be healthy and sustain a diet. Thats my advice to you!
  • musicgirl99
    musicgirl99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I got married in August of last year. We got engaged in March of last year and at that point I was also the heaviest I had been at that point. I knew I only had 5 months to lose the amount of weight that I wanted to so I started cutting drastically on my portions and watching the carbs (kept carbs to 80g +/- a day)- never less than 1,200 calories a day though. I also started doing the Insanity workout program (with Shaun T). The pounds came off so fast that by the time I had my bridal shower in June, everyone was commenting on how much weight that I had lost and I wasn't even close to my wedding goal.

By the time I walked down the aisle, I was down 27 pounds. My dress had to be taken in twice which was such a great feeling and I felt like a princess on my wedding day. I never enjoyed working out but when it came to my wedding I was determined and actually started enjoying the daily workouts after a couple of weeks. You can do this.

This is awesome! I am trying really hard. I cut calories, eat lots of protein, walk, do Jillians 30 DS, Tae Bo, go to the gym, get plenty of sleep, drink my water. I hope I can get similar results as you did! Thanks for sharing!

Anytime! So glad I could help! It sounds like you're on a great track! All the best to you!
  • MamaKL5
    MamaKL5 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what you weigh. On that day, everyone is going to think you're the most beautiful person in the room. When you put the dress on and are all ready to go, I bet you'll feel beautiful. I hope you will, anyway.
  • amiehampton29
    Options
    I am getting married soon too and am not happy with my weight. However, I know that my fiancee loves me for me and that as long as you are happy with who you are marrying, your weight should not matter.

That being said, having a healthy lifestyle up to the wedding date and past that should help you get a little closer to that goal. Just try not to give in to the temptation of crash dieting just to be a certain size. You are a very pretty girl and will look gorgeous on your big day whether you have lost 20 pounds or gained 20.

Congrats!
  • MommyofLily
    MommyofLily Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    You described me to a T...always an athlete at a muscular 150, then gained weight after college and was at 235 on my wedding day. I've since then lost almost 40 of it, but am still working towards getting healthier so we can start a family.

What I can tell you is that I was constantly worried about being a "big bride" up until the day of my wedding - on that day, all I could think about was how happy I was to be marrying my husband. We had a wonderful day and negative thoughts about my body were not welcomed.

Don't put too much pressure on yourself to lose the weight before your big day - you have the rest of your life to lose this weight the healthy way and there's no rush right now. Just do what you can and focus more on preparing to have a partner to share your life with! Spend this time with him and not worrying too much about your body. Easier said than done, but I wish I had done that!

Agreed!! I worried non-stop about how I was going to look on my wedding day and I worked hard to lose weight but still only made it down to 197 for my wedding day (started at 240 when I was very very sick from food allergies). I had envisioned being somewhere more like 160 for my wedding day, but I didn't even come close.

However, I felt more beautiful than ever before that day and all I thought about as well was how happy I was to be marrying someone who loved and accepted me no matter what I looked like. I think you should continue to focus on doing your best, but DO NOT beat yourself up if you don't lose a huge amount of weight. You are doing an amazing job and you will look absolutely stunning your big day no matter what the scale says!! <3
  • ChevyChick88
    Options
    You described me to a T...always an athlete at a muscular 150, then gained weight after college and was at 235 on my wedding day. I've since then lost almost 40 of it, but am still working towards getting healthier so we can start a family.

What I can tell you is that I was constantly worried about being a "big bride" up until the day of my wedding - on that day, all I could think about was how happy I was to be marrying my husband. We had a wonderful day and negative thoughts about my body were not welcomed.

Don't put too much pressure on yourself to lose the weight before your big day - you have the rest of your life to lose this weight the healthy way and there's no rush right now. Just do what you can and focus more on preparing to have a partner to share your life with! Spend this time with him and not worrying too much about your body. Easier said than done, but I wish I had done that!

Agreed!! I worried non-stop about how I was going to look on my wedding day and I worked hard to lose weight but still only made it down to 197 for my wedding day (started at 240 when I was very very sick from food allergies). I had envisioned being somewhere more like 160 for my wedding day, but I didn't even come close.

However, I felt more beautiful than ever before that day and all I thought about as well was how happy I was to be marrying someone who loved and accepted me no matter what I looked like. I think you should continue to focus on doing your best, but DO NOT beat yourself up if you don't lose a huge amount of weight. You are doing an amazing job and you will look absolutely stunning your big day no matter what the scale says!! <3
    Awwww..... I'm so glad we are already friends!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I got married almost six years ago to a wonderful man who has loved me, very thick and nearly thin. :smile: If you'd like to see a pic of my wedding day, I uploaded one into my photos. (Feel free to add me as a friend, too, if you'd like!) On my wedding day I weighed 163 pounds...certainly not my ideal weight, but that's about what I weighed when my husband and I first met. Even though I was not "thin" or "skinny" or even as fit as I'd like to have been on my wedding day, I found the perfect dress (STRAPLESS! Couldn't believe that one, I am HUGE on top!) and felt beautiful. That feeling is rare for me, truthfully.

As long as you are marrying a man who loves you no matter what you weigh, you're golden. Get healthy for you and your future, and try not to worry about how you'll look in wedding photos. It's only one day, and you'll have so many more days and photos together over your lifetime. :flowerforyou:
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I uploaded a pic of my wedding day in my profile too. Not where I wanted to be on weight - but it was still the best day of my life and I love all my pictures. My husband called me his blond bombshell when he saw me in my dress for the first time.
  • Katetmay
    Katetmay Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    On my wedding day I was 212(and I am short). To be honest my weight never crossed my mind that day. I love my wedding photos! I am down about 20lbs since then but I still think they look great and I felt great. No matter where your weight is on your wedding day you feel amazing!
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I was a "big" bride but I felt beautiful. I loved my dress, my hair and makeup was perfect, my body wasn't but I didn't focus on that and I enjoyed all the attention! Please try not to focus on how bad you feel about your body. The more pressure you put on yourself, the more you will eat all the wrong foods! It will take an opposite effect. Focus more on trying to lose weight, i.e. if that is what you want to do? to help you feel a bit better on your wedding day. It is all in the mind. Change the thoughts in your mind. Good luck for your day and I'm sure you'll look beautiful anyway!