Annoyed much?

Options
LenaMena87
LenaMena87 Posts: 469 Member
So a girl I know wants to lose weight more than anything so she says... She actually has lost 30 lbs doing yo yo diets. Now to the point she always has an excuse of why she can't work out...her son is the main reason and it's so annoying because we have free childcare supplied to us. She tried weight watchers for a month and stopped...she refuses to use MFP because she says she has the weight watchers meal plans already...she says she wishes she could work out and burn tons of calories...is there any advice for me to help her move her *kitten* and stop posting motivational stuff on fb all day??? You don't burn any calories online all day posting stuff...

Replies

• nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    It sounds like she's not ready to face facts. Unfortunately, until the person is ready, there isn't much you can do. For your own sanity, it might be best for you to stop listening to her excuses.
  • msgardner47
    msgardner47 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I know a few people like that. Talk about it but don't do anything and they think my weight just fell off all of a sudden, Ive been working at it for a year now. its coming off slow and steady. When I hear the excuses I just tell them you have to really want it for yourself.... :-)
  • lordsangel
    lordsangel Posts: 167
    Options
    She's never gonna lose the weight doing what she's doing. All diet plans, like WW, advise you to exercise. You can lose weight but it will be slow and most ppl will give up b/c they're not seeing the results they want and feel like its not worth trying. It takes watching what you eat, exercise and drinking water.
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Be an inspiration.
  • thekarens
    thekarens Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    No advice, but I can tell you something I heard and agree with....tell her that she doesn't really want to lose weight/get healthy because if she did she would be doing it. It's easy for all of us to come up with excuses, but when you really want something you find the time/energy/money to get it done.
  • alimarieban
    alimarieban Posts: 141
    Options
    I guess it would depend on how close you are with this person and how you think she would react to you giving her some friendly advice? If you don't think she'd be too offended then be straight up with her and tell what you said below. "Sittng on FB all day does not burn calories!" Or maybe if that is too harsh- try to get her to work out with you? Offer to help her get started? Good luck! :-)
  • Bull2707
    Bull2707 Posts: 106
    Options
    If she is not ready then it will be hard. You can tell her to read the fine print on her weight watchers, it states use with an approved exercise plan for best results. You can also see it on the commercial.
  • suztheq
    suztheq Posts: 171
    Options
    Hate to say it, but probably not. Lead by example and when she's ready to finally add some bark to her bite, she'll do it. Until, then sit back and listen to all the talk. At least that's my experience with "stubborn" friends. Heck, even my mom is the same way. She knows she needs to change, and she's had success with WW. But right now she's all talk. :smile:
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: People LOVE to hear themselves talk. People HATE to move their butts and do something to change their situation. Sad but true.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    On her next motivational FB post...

"That's awesome!! Did you make it to the gym today?"

and then put that on repeat.
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    It sounds like she's not ready to face facts. Unfortunately, until the person is ready, there isn't much you can do. For your own sanity, it might be best for you to stop listening to her excuses.

<<Love this quote above, I was ready when I was ready and no one could make me ready>>!

My advice would be for her to make small changes. For her to go on walks with her son & drink water (vs soda).
    When she starts to see some results it may push her to see the "light".

Good Luck :) Your a great friend!
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Tell her when she's ready to stop making excuses, you'll help her out. Until then, you're just casting your pearls before swine (no pun intended).
  • lambeas
    lambeas Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Next time she asks for your advice or starts spouting excuses... try a little brutal honesty. She did not put the weight on over night, so to expect it to fall off in a month of trying something is ridiculous. or .. this is a lifestyle change, not a diet ... or.. you get out what you put in.. and unless you want to be whinning about the same 20lbs next year,,,, time to be consistent

You are great for wanting to motivate her, but try not to let her negativity become your issue. Is a lifetsyle change that you have obviously embraced, so don't get sucked into the excuses.... be the example of consistency.
  • LenaMena87
    LenaMena87 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome!!!!!!!! Thanks for giving me ideas of what to say to her...I don't want to hurt her feelings but I'm tired of giving her the sameeeeeeeeee advice every week!
  • Stylistntenn
    Options
    It's hard to help people who don't want to help themselves. I know I have made excuses over the years and yo-yoed as well. If/when her mindset gets right, she will do it. Until then, it's probably not going to happen. :frown:
  • ChassityGetsFit
    ChassityGetsFit Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    If she's constantly on Facebook then have your MFP automatically post to FB! When you work out and lose weight then she will see those updates! Maybe then she will start to really see what it takes and how hard you're working! Maybe after that she will come around! If not, then just tell her nicely if you can that you don't wanna hear about it!
  • Rowell29s
    Rowell29s Posts: 32
    Options
    Continue on with your weight loss and when she starts seeing the results you are getting she will want to jump on board and follow u. You can't try and force her or that will make her resist even more.
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Tell her to get her *kitten* on here and wise up. I have lost nearly 60lbs doing weight watchers and coming on here for extra support and motivation. Your in the know and she's missing out.

Well done you x
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    ww is great and many people lose but it still costs money!

i so prefer MFP - free and great inspiration from everyone...plus it makes you do a reality check when you add to the diary... and helps you make better choices

you just have to be honest with yourself....:wink:
  • sma83
    sma83 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I was once that person. I whined all the time about my weight but just wasnt ready to do anything about it. That went on for years. I too always had excuses why I couldnt, or why it wouldnt work for me (my favorite was "I will have to be dead for 6 months to be skinny again" lol) But seriously, all the encouragement from friends didnt really matter because I simply wasnt ready. This is a journey she needs to make for herself. Yes you can be there to help her out when she decides shes ready for it, buts its just not something you can ever force. :flowerforyou: