Shin Splints

Options
I have read all the threads I can find on here and I have tried everything that everyone has suggested-

Different shoes, Reebok, Nike, Asics, New Balance, etc.
I have put my custom made arch supports in my tennis shoes.
I have stretched for long periods before and after.
I have tried pointing my toes up to stretch just while sitting at my desk at work.
I have changed my form of posture during running/walking.
Resting from exercise.
Applying ice packs.

I don't get them unless I speed walk or run. I want to run so badly and yet it brings tears to my eyes because it hurts so bad (I don't normally cry over pain). I can only run for maybe a minute before the pain starts. They have gotten better since I started working out over a year ago, I used to get them just from doing jumping jacks. I am desperate for advice that works. I know everyone has different ideas on what works but I am willing to try ANYTHING! :sad:

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Have you had this condition diagnosed by a doctor? If it's persisted for this long without being relieved by the usual remedies, it may be something else.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Have you had this condition diagnosed by a doctor? If it's persisted for this long without being relieved by the usual remedies, it may be something else.

That's what I was thinking too.....
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I wish I could be more helpful :( I hope you find a remedy!
  • ConnieB1979
    ConnieB1979 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    OHHHH Im so sorry Rita, I have no clue....but I hope you find some relief and answers! GOOD LUCK
  • garita93
    garita93 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Ok, I probably should have also stated, I have not been to a doctor in at least 2yrs and that doctor is no longer here. I live in a very small town and have terrible health insurance where I have to pay EVERYTHING out of pocket including prescriptions. (Had to pay $255 for my husband's Elidel a couple of weeks ago, was smaller then a tube of toothpaste!)
  • garita93
    Options
    bump...anyone :cry:
  • TeslaJoule
    TeslaJoule Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Do you run inside or out?
  • garita93
    Options
    I have tried both on my treadmill and outside. Same results.
  • Kris1997
    Kris1997 Posts: 241
    Options
    I posted on this very topic this morning..

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/558351-shin-splints
  • Mindarin
    Mindarin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My friend had the same problem. She finally went to the doctor and found that it wasn't shin splints, but a hairline stress fracture in her shin. O.O. It wasn't fun. But she was able to get treatment.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Time to go to the doc. It's possible you have micro fractures or some other issue. Normal shins splints usually resolve themselves by the muscles getting stronger and the body adjusting to running.
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    I get them terribly and have done all the same things you have---to no avail. After running for about a minute regular stride it starts!

The only relief I get is running like you're barefoot. (I have $500 custom made orthotics from a podiatrist too) Land only on your forefoot and don't let your heel hit at all. Maybe watch a utube video of barefoot running so you get a better idea of what I mean? Let me know how you make out!
  • TeslaJoule
    TeslaJoule Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I run only indoors at the moment because I have REALLY bad knees and it's less stress on them. My husband informed me that if you add a slight incline, like .5-1%, the shin splints stop. He was SO right. Also, I went to a running specialty store. They determined that I was overpronating my foot-I turned my foot in too much when I was running-which is usually a flat footed thing, but something I developed from knee discomfort. I got shoes for overpronation-usually called "stability" shoes (mine are 860's by New Balance, but most other brands have a version). I'm running 3 days a week now. :)

Good luck! I hope this helps you!!!
  • Memster1
    Memster1 Posts: 13
    Options
    Since a you have not been to a doctor to have this condition properly diagnosed, it is tough to guide you. Shin splints may or may not be what you are experiencing.

Once properly diagnosed, then you can attempt to correct/recover properly. Another suggestion is to be properly fitted for running shoes. There are so many to choose from and based on your running style, a proper fitting can mean the difference for a pain free run.

Just my view on the issues you are going through. I wish you success in finding the cause and solution.
  • cindyj7
    cindyj7 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I also often suffer from shin splints. First and foremost, I can tell you that the longer you stick with it, the better it will get. It just takes a LONG time. Other little things I do: I don't get them as often when I run on the treadmill than when I run outside; before every run I loosen my ankles by standing on one foot, and with the raised foot make circles with my toes, rotating my ankles, 8 circles to the left and 8 to the right, then switch feet. Dixie cups filled with water and placed in the freezer make for great icing of those shins after a run. I peel down the sides and am able to isolate those sore shin muscles. Good luck to you, and don't give up. :smile:
  • aoelmann
    aoelmann Posts: 6
    Options
    I find that the more water I drink the less often I have shin splints. Now I will tell you that I drink a LOT of water. We are talking on average over 120 ounces a day. I got shin splints the other day and had drank only 80 ounces of water the day before. So with a lot of water I still got shin splints. But personally for me I get them when I do not have enough water in my system.
  • riff71
    riff71 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I found i was getting a lot of pain in my legs when i ran but I have a protein shake made with milk and a sprinkle of creatine in it 15 mins before I run and I do stretches before and after.I now don't have any pain.I don't know if it's one or none of those things that made a difference.Might be worth a try?
  • garita93
    Options
    Ohhh new ideas! Thanks everyone. Honestly I wish I could go to the doctor but finances don't allow it right now. I will try the above and if no help then I will see if I can find a free clinic outside of my hometown.