Wish me luck 1st 5K in over 15 years

Options
This saturday I run my first 5K since my senior year in high school (about 17 years).
I have been training, and my best time is about 22:30 which bothers me a little since my best time in high school was about 17:30 or so. I'm hoping that with the competition around me I'll be able to shave 30 seconds to 1 minute off my time. I want to get down to 20 minutes even by mid summer (which I should be able to do). I have no dilusions of grandure here, but I am a runner, I hate admitting that, but I am, that's what my body was made for, that's what I know inside and out, and that's what I'm good at, so I figured about 1 month ago, why fight it? So here I go.

I'll let you guys know how badly I fail :ohwell:
But I won't give up, by this time next year I hope to be under 18:30 and training for 1/2 marathons again. I won't beat the Kenyan's but I can sure as heck place somewhere in the top 10% I hope.

regards,
-A very nervous Banks

Replies

• banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    This saturday I run my first 5K since my senior year in high school (about 17 years).
    I have been training, and my best time is about 22:30 which bothers me a little since my best time in high school was about 17:30 or so. I'm hoping that with the competition around me I'll be able to shave 30 seconds to 1 minute off my time. I want to get down to 20 minutes even by mid summer (which I should be able to do). I have no dilusions of grandure here, but I am a runner, I hate admitting that, but I am, that's what my body was made for, that's what I know inside and out, and that's what I'm good at, so I figured about 1 month ago, why fight it? So here I go.

I'll let you guys know how badly I fail :ohwell:
    But I won't give up, by this time next year I hope to be under 18:30 and training for 1/2 marathons again. I won't beat the Kenyan's but I can sure as heck place somewhere in the top 10% I hope.

regards,
    -A very nervous Banks
  • borjanap
    borjanap Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    wow..good luck. I did one recently in 26min..But 22 min is great. If you work at it, I am sure you can get it down some. I am hoping the next one I do, I can get it down to a 24.. :)
  • jayme03
    jayme03 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Good luck!! I really want to do a 5K someday and this is some great inspiration. :flowerforyou:
  • REB89
    REB89 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I have no dilusions of grandure here, but I am a runner, I hate admitting that, but I am, that's what my body was made for, that's what I know inside and out, and that's what I'm good at, so I figured about 1 month ago, why fight it?

well i'm not, but i'm certainly trying. I can only manage my 5 k in 30 minutes but i haven't been doing it too long so hopefully it improves!! Good luck and let us know how it goes! :bigsmile:
  • GIGINATOR
    GIGINATOR Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I'm training for a 10k in August and a 1/2 marathon in October. This is all new to be since I never thought I would be a runner. Now I love it and can't wait to prove I can do it. I wish you the best of luck!!!!
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    Good luck Banks...kick some butt out there!!
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Good Luck Banks:flowerforyou: Whether you meet the standards you have set or hope for, at least your back in the race, and feel healthy enough for it after 17 years.:drinker: :drinker: Cheer leaders please, I was never a cheer leader but here it goes:drinker: :drinker: " RUN, RUN, AS FAST AS YOU CAN, IF ANYONE CAN DO IT, BANKS CAN":drinker: :drinker: HOOORAH!!!
  • chriss1tt
    chriss1tt Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Good luck Banks. I know u can do it.

See Banks,
    See Banks run,
    See Banks get
    a 5k done.:drinker:

• Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Good luck!

Organized runs are great! The other runners will keep you running stronger/faster. :drinker:
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Good luck, I'm sure you'll do great!!
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it will be a "cake walk" for you!