Country Girl trying to lose weight! Help?

Options
Hi my name is Ashley, I'm 21 and I live in the Seattle area. I'm not super over weight but if you saw my family I'm a elephant next to them... And have been called that on numerous occasions but father and both sisters. Great support system, no? I want a support system I can count on, maybe some of you can help me on this journey? I'm trying to lose 30 lbs we'll see how far I can get! (lost 2 lbs before I joined this site...)

Replies

• Tquest
    Tquest Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. My father, who isn't exactly thin calls me fat constantly. I am over it and now losing weight for myself.
    You need to start with baby steps. Like step one.....eat breakfast every single morning.
    I would be happy to be on the weight loss path with you. It is hard. I know.
  • yoashisme
    yoashisme Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hey girl, my name is Ashley too and I am 23. I live in Marietta ga and Grew up in a big redneck family. Most of my family is over weight and non supportive. I would be happy to help you on your journey. Add me if you want
  • Daisy2691
    Options
    Yeah my mom is military and has been for 25 yrs, I think she weighs 120 soaking wet at 5'2" My older sister is a sportsaholic and weighs 145 at 5'11" my younger sister is just plain can eat anything and not gain a pound at 125 at 5'4".... My dad is retired military and was a bodybuilder on top of that he still is employed by gyms and is still "buff" at 57 yrs old.... I love my family dearly but they don't seem to realize how much they hurt me... I'm glad yall on here are willing to help me.
  • PrimaLuca
    Options
    Hey! Feel free to add me, PrimaLuca. I can relate, kind of...my boyfriend's family are tiny! I am just built differently than they are, but they are always talking about weight. Their own, other people's, can make me feel a little uncomfortable some of the time. My family is fairly active so they stay fit. My mother is a contractor/carpenter so she has muscles, and my sister works out 24/7. I am...or was lazy. Not anymore! I joined this site just over 80 days ago and saw results immediately. That gave me the motivation to start working out, and now I feel great. I still have a long ways to go to reach my goal but am not giving up. Don't give up if things get hard, there will be ups and down.
  • SherryCrist
    SherryCrist Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I wish I could relate you to you all with a "thin" family. My entire family is obese. My father and my sister had gastric bypass and I have been thinking about it for quite some time now. I lost my 28 year old brother 7 months ago yesterday who died of obesity (he weighed over 800+ lbs). You would think that seeing my brother die from his weight would make me stop eating, but actually, my grief has caused me to eat more. But recently, I'm taking a more spiritual journey in my weight-loss this time and now I'm leaning on God for the strength and courage I need for my weightloss journey. I realized I can't do it alone!

Pray about your journey and I know you will be successful! We all need the motivation to get through each day!
  • leeshamecham
    Options
    Hey There!
    I understand what you're going through! I'm from Colorado and I too could use a good support system and some accountability. I am trying to lose as least 50-60lbs to be at a healthy weight, and girl I could use all the help I could get. So yeah I would love to help you out! :) Add me if you want to. I am new at this so I don't have any friends yet.
  • kskostamikel
    Options
    It can be very frustrating when your family and friends are not supportive. I've had a few of those people in my life as well. Feel free to add me; I'd be happy to help support your weight loss journey. Good luck!
  • ilvmykidz
    ilvmykidz Posts: 66
    Options
    I am looking to loose at least 35 lbs myself.... I have lost about 2 so far too. Add me and we can help each other out! GOOD LUCK!
  • leeshamecham
    Options
    Hi Sherry!
    I am trying to do the same thing! I am trying some of the spiritual aspect of it! I am currently reading a book call Made To Crave. It's fantastic so far! you should read it. It's about learning to Crave and desire God more than food! It has been helpful to me so far and has even changed my mindset. An exercise they suggest is to pray anytime you have a craving for anything. Pray that God would take that desire for that food away and and aim your attention back to Him :) This has been very helpful for me and my thinking.
  • lisag2007
    lisag2007 Posts: 130
    Options
    Any of you feel free to add me as a friend for support. My mom isn't so much non supportive as she is that I think she thinks I should just not be very hungry. She is older, so I guess maybe you lose your appetite in your later years or really I think it's because my dad died a little over two years ago. Anyway, I've recently lost 13 pounds and still have about 3 more to go, but I love the support I receive on here and I know all of you can do it. It's not an easy journey, but if you need friends and support, I'm here for you all. Good luck to each of you....
  • orangecrayon
    orangecrayon Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Hey! It's amazing that you're trying to get healthier. (And I'm sorry your family isn't supportive of your goals.) I'd love to be a part of your journey! I'm adding you :) Welcome to MFP!
  • doinitforme2012
    doinitforme2012 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm 20 and this is my second go at losing weight with MFP. it's hard not having a support structure at home, but luckily you'll make lots of friends here. i too struggle with being supported with weight loss at home, my hubby doesn't call me fat or overweight or anything but he doesn't think i need to lose weight at all he says he likes my big but and thighs. unfortunately i don't. feel free to add me. (also i love to cook so i always have recipe ideas)
  • antoniosmooth
    antoniosmooth Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Ashley, I'm 21 and I live in the Seattle area. I'm not super over weight but if you saw my family I'm a elephant next to them... And have been called that on numerous occasions but father and both sisters. Great support system, no? I want a support system I can count on, maybe some of you can help me on this journey? I'm trying to lose 30 lbs we'll see how far I can get! (lost 2 lbs before I joined this site...)

My wife and I are also in the Seattle area and I sympothize with you Ashley. My wife's step father and neice haven't been supportive of her and she's always felt like the "elephant" when compared to her sisters (One of them had gastric bypass years ago). She's on the same journey as you but is going for 80 - 85lbs.

Keep coming here, keep logging, keep exercising, and keep the faith and your 2lbs will turn into 30lbs in no time.