Avocado?

Options
I have read all kinds of articles about the benefits of avocado. So, I bought a couple. I ate half plain, gross, ate half with salt and pepper, gross. I baked another one into a black bean avocado brownie, and it was edible, but still had a icky taste of avocado. Anyone have any recipes that make avocado's taste good?

Replies

• donnantx
    donnantx Posts: 76
    Options
    I just recently started eating Avocado and I love it!! But I put it in my salads, on my sandwiches, add a little salsa to it and use it as a dip for veggies. I do not cook with it..and just a reminder it will turn brown in a short period of time...
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine having to do anything to avacado to make it yummy. I eat them as if they were an apple!!! But if you don't like it don't eat it!!
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Were they ripe? Maybe you just don't like avocados. If you don't like them, why force them down?

Try them on sandwiches, add them to salads or make guacamole as a snack.
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if you don't like avacados then you probably should just move on. I eat them with salt and pepper all the time, but I don't think they are icky, I think they are fabulous. So, you might just have to find another super food.
  • duncan_mc64
    duncan_mc64 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like mine with just a squeeze of Lime or Lemon Juice. It sort of cuts the fattiness of the avocado...Yum!
  • kperk91
    kperk91 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm not in love with the taste of avocado - but I love to use it.
    I put in salad or on a sandwich so that there is more things to taste than the avocado. It's like a healthy condiment for me.

I mash it up to make and add a little lemon juice and pepper. I use it as a spread (instead of mayo)
  • jenna_scott
    jenna_scott Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Take the Avocado meat and mash it add some minced garlic finely chopped onions and red pepers a squirt of lime juice and some chili powder or smoked paprika (or both) to taste yummy! You need to let it sit in the fridge for a while to let the flavors meld,
    You could add chopped tomatos too, I don't because I detest the vile tomato, but if you like it go for it.

Or if you don't mind processed foods there is this great little Guacamole mix that McCormicks make that is called Great Guacamole (it is in an envelope I usually find itin the produce section) there is only 10 cals per tsp. Mix that in with it.