will it ever get better?!

Options
Im about 300 lbs and just joined this site yesterday, but i did alot of exercising yesterday and today.
My problem is that no matter what type of exercise i do I get this searing pain on the lower half of my left calf, like right above the ankle.
its getting to the point that doing almost anything causes even more pain, though I do push through it in hopes that it will strengthen it.
Mind you i have been having issues with this problem for at least the past year.
Do you think it will get better?
Or should I see a professional about it before I continue my exercises?

Replies

• donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    relax for a few days

in the mean time, go on Youtube and do some Yoga :)
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Yes it will get better :flowerforyou:
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    That sounds like achilles tendon strain or a strain in the soleus muscle. It will not get better by pushing through it. Continuing to try and push through it could cause a serious tear that will have you not walking at all for a long while.

I would recommend you see a Dr. to be sure that this is the problem or to find out what the problem is.

The good news is that if you are still walking it is not seriously injured yet and will heal with a few weeks of rest.
  • Fernze
    Fernze Posts: 7
    Options
    Good advice from Scott. I would recommend the same.

When you go to the gym do some of the exercises that are none impact such as rowing, cycling and elliptical machines.

Avoid stress on your joints from hitting the treadmill.

Swimming is one of the best exercises that offer no impact on your joints
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Get it checked. I had pain in that area and it was a stress fracture.
  • Chrissy9Smith
    Options
    thanks for the advice.
    Im def gonna get into the dr about it.

as for rest, its been goin on for about a year now, i think ive had plenty of rest from doing nothing most of the time lol.
    I was just worried that trying to get fit and healthy would make it worse, as in permanently screw something up.

So ill just take it easy on the walking and aerobis, and try to focus on some exercises that wont irritate my leg. :)
    ill let you guys and gals know what the verdict is once i see my dr.
  • dragonsheart84
    Options
    Take it easy and go for yoga or pilates. IF it does not get better, call your doctor and make an appointment. As you lose weight it should get better because you will be carrying less weight and putting less stress on it. I know that on the Biggest Loser and stuff they push the contestants. However, they are under the supervision of a doctor at all times. You need to take your time, it is not a race, it is a lifestyle change. A better you.
  • Chrissy9Smith
    Options
    Ok made an appointment for this friday with the Othopedic dr.
    ill keep ya posted so others can have future reference to this issue :)
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    thanks for the advice.
    Im def gonna get into the dr about it.

Definitely the right thing to do in this situation. Pushing past it could only injure you further. There's a time for biting the bullet and pushing through a hard workout, but if it's a sharp pain or you can tell your body is warning you that it is damaged, do not push it and get it checked out.
    as for rest, its been goin on for about a year now, i think ive had plenty of rest from doing nothing most of the time lol.
    I was just worried that trying to get fit and healthy would make it worse, as in permanently screw something up.

Not if you do it the right way, which is gradually. You shouldn't try to go full-force exercising after being sedentary for so long. This is what a lot of beginners do, and it either causes them injury, or it's so difficult they burn out and don't want to try anymore. Work up to it and be patient with yourself. This is really a 'journey' to educate yourself on your body and nutrition, losing weight and having a healthy body are just benefits from that.
  • Chrissy9Smith
    Options
    I agree with everything you have said auroranflash.

Im not pushing too hard really. I am afterall 300lbs, i can only do so much before its overwhleming.
    Def taking small steps with my workouts, just thought it was scary that i was having issues with my leg even doing the small stuff.

there has not been any full force workouts yet, i dont want to add more than i know i can handle.
    The hard part is finding things to do that wont strain my leg. Im limited to whats in the house, no gym passes, and have to take care of children. I guess I just have to get creative with things around the house lol.
  • Chrissy9Smith
    Options
    well i appear to have tendonitis, and i need cortisone injections.
    at least they figured out whats wrong with my leg.
    time to find other exercises for awhile lol