Heart Rate Monitor Users - Please help!

Options
I recently purchased a heart-rate monitor with the chest strap. I am not exactly sure how to use it. The directions say I need to make sure the strap sensors are wet before using. Is this true? I don't want to electrocute myself.

Replies

• lcs1211
    lcs1211 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    yes, this is true, at least with my Polar FT4 it is. I just dampen the sensors on the strap then put it on and attach the battery powered sensor (whatever its called) to it and then forget it until my workout is finished. I love my polar HRM.
  • bikingtofitness
    Options
    Yes, you need to have the pads wet so it will keep the conection. rinse under your faucet and wipe off before you put it on.
  • ris7782
    ris7782 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    yes no need to have it dripping or anything just wet they are great! you will love it!
  • michelleabruce1970
    Options
    I use mine all the time because it's more accurate it's ace!
  • ktbia
    ktbia Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I just dip mine under the faucet real quick and put it on. Just the sensor parts, i don't soak the whole strap.

I love my garmin!
  • kskostamikel
    Options
    Yes, you need to get the sensors wet. If you are worried about getting it too wet just run your finger under the faucet and swipe over the sensors a couple times.
  • melcam_2000
    melcam_2000 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Okay I have another dumb question. This must be put directly on your skin under your sports bra right?
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I just dip mine under the faucet real quick and put it on. Just the sensor parts, i don't soak the whole strap.

I love my garmin!

That's what I do with my Polar. I've never been zapped or anything. Wish I could say the same about my iPod earbuds :\
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Okay I have another dumb question. This must be put directly on your skin under your sports bra right?

yea I put mine on right below my bra
  • ktbia
    ktbia Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    my strap is directly underneath the sports bra bottom strap.. does that make sense? I use to push it up a bit higher and the middle part of my garmin strap was rubbing on my boobs and I got a blister. Now my bra rests right on it and it doesn't move and works great.
  • melcam_2000
    melcam_2000 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    That's great advice. Thank you!
  • DurdenCycles
    DurdenCycles Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    There are also HR monitor bras so you don't have to worry about placement or interferance. Here is a link to a place that sells them.

http://heartmonitorbra.com/polar-heart-rate-monitor-bra/
  • bikingtofitness
    Options
    The monitor needs to be in direct contact with your skin.. so under your sports bra.
  • natwmartinez
    Options
    You will love your heart rate monitor. Your workouts will feel so real. I never felt like I was accomplishing anything with just plugging it into the program. Typing in my calories burned from my HRM gives me a great feeling. Good luck!