Elliptical verses Treadmill

Options
In your opinion, which do you like better and why? And which one burns more calories for you?

Replies

• Khaylar33
    Khaylar33 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like the treadmill because it's something familiar and the elliptical bothers my knees. : )
  • angelicscars
    angelicscars Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I find running difficult due to knee injuries in the past but I love the elliptical and it doesnt both my knees! :)
  • Reikofs
    Reikofs Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I like the treadmill, although I prefer to run outside. I use the treadmill mainly for my speed intervals. The elliptical is great for a change of pace since it has less impact on the joints, but u have to to it 1.5 x longer than running on a treadmill to get the same cardio workout. The ones where u can use the arms are better. I also found out that ellipticals vary on how they feel on your knees so u need to find one that works for u!
  • js370
    js370 Posts: 140
    Options
    I use the elliptical more than the treadmill because it is better on my knees. I burn more calories on the the elliptical where as my wife would burn more calories on the treadmill.
  • Joneses17
    Joneses17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the elliptical more but the treadmill is a hard workout for me. I wear my HRM during my workouts and burn about the same but I feel more sore after a treadmill workout in my core which shows me it's doing what it needs to. I use both and add in the bike to mix it up.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I personally like the elliptical over the treadmill because it is less impacts on the joints. I also prefer it over the treadmill because you can also increase resistance and most you can control the incline. And you also have the benefit of using the arms into it as well. Don't get me wrong, the treadmill is a great piece of equipment but I find the elliptical more enjoyable to use.
  • scarletspy
    scarletspy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have plantar fasciitis so I prefer the elliptical because it'd kinder on my heals. Plus, I like that my arms get a work out too!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    HIIT is easier to do on an elliptical than a treadmill...

That being said I find treadmills to be 'more intense' than elliptical
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    I have plantar fasciitis so I prefer the elliptical because it'd kinder on my heals. Plus, I like that my arms get a work out too!

Same here
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I prefer a GOOD elliptical. The ones planet fitness has suck and make my back and knees hurt, so I've only used the treadmills at the gym now. My previous (expensive) gym had 4 really nice ellipticals, and they were AWESOME to use.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    HIIT is easier to do on an elliptical than a treadmill...

That being said I find treadmills to be 'more intense' than elliptical

Agreed...HIIT is not good on a treadmill. Risk of injury is too great.
  • mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I've owned both.
    I didn't really care for either one, but I'd have to choose the treadmill over the elliptical.
    I found the treadmill was disorienting making my body think I was going somewhere, when I wasn't, lol
    But the elliptical really made my knees achy. I found I couldn't get a full range of motion, and then at the end my knees felt very stiff.
  • justfungrandma
    justfungrandma Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    We bought an Octane Fitness elliptical at Christmas time and absolutely love it. I get a fantastic burn (45 minutes/about 525 calories/7 miles). It is easier on the knees than the treadmill although I still run outside from time to time because I love the feeling of outdoor running. I had a hard time sticking to treadmill workouts, but the elliptical has so many variations that I dont get bored.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I like the treadmill well Ive moved from the Treadmill to outside. But I started on the elliptical and moved to the treadmill I enjoy running, and I burn way more running than the eliptical. I also get a small upper body workout maintainin posture while running.
  • ambrwaves27
    ambrwaves27 Posts: 206
    Options
    I prefer ellipticals over treadmills because they are low impact, however, if you can, try an ARC trainer. It is similar to the elliptical but you get the running motion.
  • justfungrandma
    justfungrandma Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    The Octane elliptical simulates running. It has the arm workout as well, and you can vary pulling, pushing, higher up, lower down etc. It was expensive, but worth every penny!
  • matchfitin5
    Options
    Treadmills and I have a love hate relationship. I love running and I will run on one if I have to, but I don't care if it is freezing out; I would rather run outside. That being said, if I'm at the gym I will always pick the elliptical because treadmills aggravate my shin splints.
  • grandmeem
    grandmeem Posts: 28
    Options
    I can't run so the treadmill is too easy a workout for me. I love the elliptical and use it every day. I'm up to level 16 now and get an outstanding workout.